Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 22:38

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

My bf was playing this today - it told him to eat sugar and protein after working out. I wasn't surprised about the protein but I was about the sugar. It didn't say carbs ... it said sugar!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 22:56

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
My bf was playing this today - it told him to eat sugar and protein after working out. I wasn't surprised about the protein but I was about the sugar. It didn't say carbs ... it said sugar!

omg no!!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 07:43

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:

Ohhh

Wii-fit! My boyfriend has a Wii and wants to get the wii-fit... trouble is they're sold out everywhere here at the moment! Well in major stores anyway.

Are they any good? Look a bit strange to me.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 08:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

How long did your boyfriend play it? I have been averaging a hour or better a day since I got it, and it hasn't told me that yet?

I thought they looked strange too, but i really like mine.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 04:58

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've thought about getting one but I have a Victorian and the house would rattle. We're thinking about finishing a place part of our basement as a rec room for our daughter (and soon, daughters, we hope if the adoption process goes well this year) and friends and such and it would be nice to have a place to work out. The floor is concrete and it would need some padding. Personally, I want the tennis game since I used to play tennis a lot. I'm actually get a new racket today so we can start playing this summer but during the winter, forget it!!! We'll see....Cheers!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 08:29

It's a blast! It's definitely worth the money.

As for how long he was playing - maybe 20 minutes? The thing is - he measures in at the low end of normal BMI and weight. I don't think Wii Fit would tell those of us above normal to eat sugar. I still don't agree with it telling even a 'normal' person to eat sugar. lol

Cartersg1: my house is not on a slab foundation either and I was worried about it rattling. However, I just skip those exercises which cause the house to shake (i.e., running in place). There are plent of exercises that don't require bouncing (push-ups, balance games, yoga, etc).
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 07:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 196/165/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:

Okay - I didn't get the protein part. I got the tip about sugar when you are asked about a tip. At first it suggested a banana and I laughed and then the 2nd slide it pointed out the sugar (I even took a picture)

It even suggested working out on an empty stomach is a very bad idea but didn't think to get a pic of that though. Should have taken pictures of all of them. This was my 8th day and I've done it 4 times around 30 minutes each.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 08:03

And then when the sugar high leaves ... you're energy-less! lol. I guess there are a couple of flaws with the system. hehehe
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-08, 02:44

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Well, I've spent some more time with the system now, and I think it's only fair I post an updated review:

First of all, I've gotten used to some of the things that were really bothering me (the constant "A" mashing), and even learned to appreciate one of them: the rank display at the end. For some reason it didn't click for me at first, but being able to see my progress on individual exercises is nice.

While I'd still like the program to 'build' me a routine, I have gotten used to menuing around and picking the exercises I'd like to do.

Two years ago I had an episode of BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo), which is basically a major malfunction of the inner ear (and thus balance), and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. My balance never got back to 100% after that, which is one reason I was interested in WiiFit. Even though I have not logged a ton of time on the system, I can already see improvement in my balance, so this alone has been worth it for me.

I'm also more impressed with the peripheral after tonight's session: I accidentally clicked Retry on an exercise I didn't want to repeat at the time(Warrior), so I tried to fake it out and just sort of lean on the board. Even though I kept the line in the blue box, at the end of the exercise it called me on having not kept my weight evenly distributed on both legs. Despite having read otherwise in other reviews, it seems to be very good at determining if I am using proper form or not.

I'm still using free weights for my upper body workout (an area where the wiifit is understandably lacking--I'm not strong enough to do pushups yet), but it is able to give a surprisingly intense lower-body strength workout, at least at my fitness level.

My wiifit age has dropped considerably, and the system has finally acknowledged the weight loss that shows on my digital scale.

I'm finding that it unlocks new exercises way sooner than I feel inclined to try them--my balance is so poor that I'm still working on doing most of the base-game exercises correctly, and don't feel the need to move on just yet. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I'm sure they wanted to give people a sense of progress very early on.

Even though I've done 'real' DDR, I find the step program stupidly fun. I may try putting the board on my actual step thingie at some point to increase difficulty.

Couple of nitpicks: I want it to stop nagging me to use it every day. I do it when I can, and making me feel guilty is actually negative reinforcement for me. I'm sure it works for some people, but I wish I could turn it off. Also, it scolds me for being up so late at night; I wish I could explain to the program that I work graveyard shift.

Conclusion: After spending more time with the system I have greater respect for its technology, and more faith in its ability to help me achieve some body goals. It's not going on craigslist after all.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 18:23

Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%
Default Wii Good for Mi

I've been using the Wii Fit off and on (mostly off) since I got it. Since I started Atkins 13 days ago, I have done it every day. I alternate between Aerobic and Strength Training. I'm only doing 15-20 minutes a day but I am seeing results in improved balance, scores, etc. I have been able to advance from the Yoga to the Strength Training exercises. I couldn't even do 1 push up at first. So I know I'm getting stronger. It doesn't always register the same weight as my bathroom scale either. I'm not sure which one is correct. My goal is to be able to increase to 30 minutes a day for now. And if anyone says it doesn't give you a workout, just ask my sore abs. I can actually see a little line in the middle of my stomach. LOL
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I have a Wii Fit coming! I'm curious if those of you who have been using it and finding your balance much improved (I have always had balance issues) have found that this has impacted you in any way. I have often wondered if there is some way to "correct" how I stand and walk that would allow me to have less back and other pain. I have more back pain now, at a lower weight, than I had 20 pounds ago. I think some of it is from loose skin on my abdomen, but wonder if some of it is nothing more than how I stand and move.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Aug-29-08, 11:16
Registered Member

Stats: 371/350/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

One of my gifts to myself is getting a Wii...let me know how you all like it!!!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-08, 11:24

Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

I just took a look at Yourself!Fitness. Looks like a great program, but how do you interact with the program. Do you have to enter everything in, like your weight, etc.? Also, what fitness level would you have to be at to begin using it. That's one reason I like the Wii Fit is because I'm way out of shape and it giving me a place to start getting stronger.