Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 10:28

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

OK, I am thoroughly disgusted. That old vegetarian rag about meat "putrefying" in the digestive tract got my goat. I had remembered reading at some point that we have different kinds of bacteria that help us digest different kinds of food; that fermentative bacteria help us digest carbohydrates and that putrefactive bacteria help us digest protein and fat. So the putrefaction of meat is actually a good thing, because that's how it gets digested.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if I was remembering this right, so I was trying to google around and find out how meat is digested. Here's where my disgust comes in. Almost any phrase you can think of to google about meat digestion pulls up page after page of vegetarian propaganda about how humans aren't meant to digest meat and we should all revert to being vegetarians. There is so much pseudoscientific claptrap that it made my head spin.

It makes me sad and angry that it is so easy to pull up page after page of misinformation just from googling "how meat is digested." No wonder people are so misguided about health issues.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 12:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Heh! I just typed in "How is meat digested?" in google and the first hit was from a UK government site and here's the section on digesting protein foods.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/yrdd/

Quote:
Protein. Foods such as meat, eggs, and beans consist of giant molecules of protein that must be digested by enzymes before they can be used to build and repair body tissues. An enzyme in the juice of the stomach starts the digestion of swallowed protein. Then in the small intestine, several enzymes from the pancreatic juice and the lining of the intestine complete the breakdown of huge protein molecules into small molecules called amino acids. These small molecules can be absorbed through the small intestine into the blood and then be carried to all parts of the body to build the walls and other parts of cells.

Fats. Fat molecules are a rich source of energy for the body. The first step in digestion of a fat such as butter is to dissolve it into the watery content of the intestine. The bile acids produced by the liver dissolve fat into tiny droplets and allow pancreatic and intestinal enzymes to break the large fat molecules into smaller ones. Some of these small molecules are fatty acids and cholesterol. The bile acids combine with the fatty acids and cholesterol and help these molecules move into the cells of the mucosa. In these cells the small molecules are formed back into large ones, most of which pass into vessels called lymphatics near the intestine. These small vessels carry the reformed fat to the veins of the chest, and the blood carries the fat to storage depots in different parts of the body.
Other than that, loads of veggie propaganda.

The inconsistency in their arguments is hilarious. On one site they claim it takes extra-long to digest meat on another they say:
Quote:
Because meat is relatively easily digested, their small intestines (where absorption of food molecules takes place) are short -- about three to five or six times the body length.
(arguing that carnivores have short intestines).

Make up your minds already people!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 13:15

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Digestion is easy.

Proteins are broken down to amino acids and taken into the blood.

Fats are taken in as fats.

Carbohydrates are broken down into sugars and put into the blood.

Fiber is used by bacteria to make gas.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 15:11

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
Anyway, I wasn't sure if I was remembering this right, so I was trying to google around and find out how meat is digested. Here's where my disgust comes in. Almost any phrase you can think of to google about meat digestion pulls up page after page of vegetarian propaganda about how humans aren't meant to digest meat and we should all revert to being vegetarians. There is so much pseudoscientific claptrap that it made my head spin.

It makes me sad and angry that it is so easy to pull up page after page of misinformation just from googling "how meat is digested." No wonder people are so misguided about health issues.

what makes me so angry is when the vegetarian/vegan crowd start using Jesus as their example that we are supposed to eat vegetarian....um...excuse me but remember the fish and 5 loaves of bread story???? (I hope no one is offended, none meant at all). Christ would not have served fish if fish was not meant for food! And how many stories involved lamb? Years ago my son had issues with this. He went to our pastor and asked if it was sin to eat meat. (after hearing and reading a bunch of vegetarian stuff). Our pastor started telling him lots of stories about Jesus either serving or being present at meat/fish based meals. I can't believe the lengths that people will go to push their agenda.

From health to religion...stories and misconceptions abound. it's no wonder people searching for answers get so lost. I just know how I feel eating this way and it's like I'm a different person, I feel so much better. I'm so glad "I'M" done searching!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 18:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1231
what makes me so angry is when the vegetarian/vegan crowd start using Jesus as their example that we are supposed to eat vegetarian....um...excuse me but remember the fish and 5 loaves of bread story???? (I hope no one is offended, none meant at all). Christ would not have served fish if fish was not meant for food! And how many stories involved lamb? Years ago my son had issues with this. He went to our pastor and asked if it was sin to eat meat. (after hearing and reading a bunch of vegetarian stuff). Our pastor started telling him lots of stories about Jesus either serving or being present at meat/fish based meals. I can't believe the lengths that people will go to push their agenda.

From health to religion...stories and misconceptions abound. it's no wonder people searching for answers get so lost. I just know how I feel eating this way and it's like I'm a different person, I feel so much better. I'm so glad "I'M" done searching!

No way could Jesus had fasted for 40 days and nights without eating meat.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 12:14

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

All this vegetarian BS is giving me flashbacks...

Quote:
I tried eating vegetarian. I feel like a wimp going into a restaurant. "What do you want to eat sir? Brocolli?" Brocolli's a side dish, folks. Always was, always will be, ok? When they ask me what I want, I say, "What do you think I want!? This is America. I want a bowl of raw red meat right now. Forget about that. Bring me a live cow over to the table. I'll carve off what I want and ride the rest home! [Making riding noises]"

"Yeah, well, if you eat red meat, it stays in your colon for fifteen years!" Good! I paid for it; I want it in my a**, okay? I want them to find a meat sweater from my esophagus to my a****** when they open me up in the end! "This guy's covered in meat! He's Meat-Man! He's Meat-Tracheotomy-Man!"

I gonna open up my own place. Open my own restaurant and get away from you people. I gonna open up a restaurant with two smoking sections; Ultra and Regular, ok? And we're not gonna have any tables or any chairs or any napkins. None of that p**** s***. Just a big wide open black space. And all we're gonna serve is raw meat, right on the bone! And only men are going to eat there, naked men, sitting around a big giant camp fire, and no men's room either. You have to p***, you mark your territory like a wolf! And if some guy has a heart attack from eating too much meat, f*** him, we throw him in the fire! More meat for the other meat-eaters! Yeah!

Because you gotta have goals. Because everybody in this room knows everybody who's quitting. You all have that friend who's quitting it. You know what I mean? The guys quitting it, "I quit smoking. I quit drugs. I quit drinking. I quit meat, and I feel great. I get up in the morning and have a nice big bowl of oat bran. I go to the bathroom for three and a half hours. I have another bowl of oat bran. I go back in the bathroom for six more hours. All I do is eat and s***, I'm gonna live forever! My colon is the strongest muscle in my body right now. I could pass Elvis through my colon right now."

And all these cereals they have, Cracklin' Oat Bran, and Horkin' Fiber Chunks, you know? Cereal used to come with a free prize. Now it comes with a free roll of toilet paper in every box. Guys get up on Sunday morning, "Forget about the New York Times, I'm gonna need the Bible. I got a big one brewing here." "Dad, there's a phone call!" "I'm on Genesis, God d*****! You tell 'em to call back after the creation!" People checking their own feces for fiber. You have too much free f****** time on your hands, ok.

[EDIT: section missing here, included in the video link below]

You will eat it. Because not eating meat is a decision. Eating meat is an instinct! Yeah! And I know what it's about. "I don't want to eat the meat because I love the animals. I love the animals." Hey, I love the animals too. I love my doggy. He's so cute. My fluffy little dog.. He's so cute- There's the problem. We only want to save the cute animals, don't we? Yeah. Why don't we just have animal auditions. Line 'em up one by one and interview them individually. "What are you?" "I'm an otter." "And what do you do?" "I swim around on my back and do cute little human things with my hands." "You're free to go." "And what are you?" "I'm a cow." "Get in the f****** truck, ok pal!" "But I'm an animal." "You're a baseball glove! Get on that truck!" "I'm an animal, I have rights!" "Yeah, here's yer f****** cousin, get on the truck, pal!" We kill the cows to make jackets out of them and then we kill each other for the jackets we made out of the cows.

- Denis Leary, No Cure for Cancer, 1992

To see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q7kUFS-0XQ if you want to see just this section, start around 6:15

Right so maybe that was uncalled for, but it's all I could think of when I was reading the veggie responses on meat digestion...
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 14:00
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyway...
- Denis Leary, No Cure for Cancer, 1992

OMG, I'm sitting here at work (I'm on a break, folks, really) sobbing--sobbing!--with silent laughter. Thanks for posting that!

I love Denis Leary, and I especially love No Cure for Cancer. That may be my favorite comedic monologue of all time.

"...ride the rest home." Heeee.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 11:02
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I actually find I stink less with the more meat I eat and less carbs... less gassy too.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I noticed that I smelled really horrendous the first week or so that I started eating higher fat, but then it went back to normal.

I am so jealous of you, Liz, not needing to wear anything to stop the wetness. I sweat so much in my pits. I tried using one of those deodorant "rocks," and although it works fine for odor (better than anything I've ever tried, actually, as my body doesn't really react well to the stuff, smell-wise, whether it's scented or not), I couldn't stand dripping sweat from my pits all the time.

But what is really weird is that someone mentioned above about the less smelly BM's and I just realized that is really true. And the no gas is always a plus.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-08, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

I bought into the "vegetarians smell better than meat-eaters" back in my misspent youth. Why? Because predatory animal manure really does stink! And my pet rabbits didn't (unless I didn't keep them clean.) Then my black and white world vision suffered a tsunami of unwelcome facts. HORMONES affect manure smells, and the guys ALWAYS outstank the girls. This included my rabbits! And I visited dairy farms where the alfalfa fed cows' breath (both ends) would almost knock me off my feet.
As I got older , and vegetarianism made me ill, I took up meat-eating again, though reluctantly, because meat was a lot more expensive than tofu. And almost a decade ago, because I was dying and seriously overweight, I went lowcarb and based my diet on animal proteins. Among other benefits, I suddenly had less body odor, and my feet quit knocking people over when I removed my shoes.
So now, although buried memories twang when I see vegetarian propaganda, I no longer am swayed by them. I'm an unashamed carnivore!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 16:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
parsley, cilantro, celery and all mint species. The aromatic herbs are also excellent: sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano

Sounds to me like the wolves are telling the lambs what they should eat. Maybe the Greys are behind this? And here, hold this apple in your mouth...

I crack me up
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 20:42

Plan: Minimal Crap (Atkinsish)
Stats: 170/137/140 Female Five feet, three inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

You crack me up too, Teaser. XD

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that veg*n "science" is often full o' crap. Veg*nism is often Serious Business for its practitioners - they are sometimes so devoted and that they will constantly repeat anything that supports their way of life as superior, no matter how stupid, how flawed, or how long it's been debunked.

In fact, studying these people lead me to develop a motto: Never trust a scientist with a philosophical or ethical dogma to buttress.

If you want enough information to debunk anything a veg*n can throw at you to last a lifetime, there's a page of links here.
http://peta-sucks.com/smf/index.php?topic=31805.0
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 21:41

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I crack me up

Me too!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 14:37
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

My favorite little tidbit of veg*n propaganda are the claims that they can tell a meat-eater by their rotten stench. Honestly, get over yourself.

I had to buy Drysol when I was veg bc I sweat so much and would constantly stink, especially in winter wearing a heavy coat and sweater on transit. By the time I got to work I'd be drenched and dank. Never mind the lovely flatulence that accompanied me everywhere.

Thanks for the Dennis Leary! God, I love that man.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Flatulence! I remember flatulence!

I was in a group of veggie people who associated fairly regularly, and flatulence became such a commonplace that people would comment on each other's flavors. "Oh, that must those lentils that David made us for lunch!"

I never got used to that and would ignore such comments to death.