Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 08:34

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

LOLOL...they still haven't caught on...

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djub...arthsociety.htm
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 18:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/174.2/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

OM Goodness that's funny, flat earth society
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLee
OM Goodness that's funny, flat earth society
Although that page is a joke and a parody, the truth is not far off. There are very few flat earthers, but there are a whole stack of "We never went to the moon" folk.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 19:09

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08
Progress: 100%

Back a ways on Page 5, jpatti said: "I sometimes bake for my husband. I make dishes like mashed potatoes and scalloped potatoes for him. I buy him cereal and crackers and bread. I keep the fruit bowl full for him. He's not diabetic and only a few pounds overweight and doesn't choose to low-carb. He eats a lot less junk than when we married, even in eating things I cook for him that I don't eat myself, like baked beans or such.'

I do the same thing. Right now there is a Sara Lee strawberry cheesecake in my freezer (before that there was an Edward's lemon pie, before that there was always something). I keep them frozen because he likes a slice sometimes, but not every night. He has always liked a muffin in the morning, I haven't touched a pie or muffin in 4 months now, not once. He is not overweight or diabetic, and he works where he gets a lot of excercise, plus he is just in very good health in general. He can have that stuff, and I am diabetic so I can't, and don't. There is no gray area here.

But he has never - even once - tried to tempt me with anything that I should not eat. He knows that I am doing the right thing for ME and respects that. It's called 'being an adult'!

The only other thing I can add to this thread is - HUH? The earth is not flat? Who told you guys this? Well, I can look out my window right now and I can plainly see that it is flat. All of it. Even my dogs know this, geez........ Talk about weirdo ideas!
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 19:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you've read GCBC I think you'd realize that this statement really isn't true: "He can have that stuff, and I am diabetic so I can't, and don't. There is no gray area here."

Being skinny and non-diabetic doesn't mean you're healthy or that sweets and carbs are ok. It just means you don't wear your symptoms out in the open.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 03:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 262/174.2/150 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Although that page is a joke and a parody, the truth is not far off. There are very few flat earthers, but there are a whole stack of "We never went to the moon" folk.

Quite an interesting array of people in this world. Conspiracy theories everywhere..... Thanks Baerdric....I will have to google some sights on this to see what their reasoning is....Have a great day.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 05:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I drove my grade seven science teacher crazy once asking how we knew the earth was flat. He cited footage of the earth from space, and I told him the special effects in Star Wars were much better. I wasn't serious, though.
Before I went low carb, I was only a little overweight, by today's standards. I feel much better than expected with the amount of weight I lost.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 05:45
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I drove my grade seven science teacher crazy once asking how we knew the earth was flat. He cited footage of the earth from space.
This is why I homeschool.

He should have cited the actual method that originally discovered that the earth was spherical (not round). Looking at stars, and looking at the moon.

It was easily noticed that different stars were visible as you moved north or south. This wouldn't happen on a flat earth.

More complicated, but more definitive, the moon shows the shadow of the earth during an eclispe, and it is always a circle, no matter what the tilt. A flat surface shows a different shadow at different angles, a sphere always has a circular shadow.

Aristotle taught that the earth was a sphere based upon these facts around 350 BC.

But a state school science teacher wasn't taught that historical fact, so he couldn't teach it.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 09:01

BF:

Quote:
Being skinny and non-diabetic doesn't mean you're healthy or that sweets and carbs are ok. It just means you don't wear your symptoms out in the open.

I have 2 skinny carboholic friends. One just had a tumor removed from her leg. The other is on meds for high blood pressure.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 09:14
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I have a skinny, carboholic husband. His grandmother is a skinny carboholic 100 year old lady. DH recently had a detailed physical for a new job. The doctor checked to make sure they had his age down correctly because his results would have been good for someone 10 - 15 years younger.

Would he be eating healthier if he ate less sugar and crap? Yep. Will the carbs kill him? I dunno, they sure haven't slowed down his grandmother, though his grandfather died at 92 or some such. Other side of the family didn't live so long -- 80s. Don't know what they ate though.
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: homegrown
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
If you've read GCBC I think you'd realize that this statement really isn't true: "He can have that stuff, and I am diabetic so I can't, and don't. There is no gray area here."

I agree that I think low-carb is healthier for *everyone* regardless of diabetes or overweight issues.

However, I also think it's not my job to determine what another adult puts in their mouth.

I'm not beyond manipulating. I keep the fruit bowl full cause hubby is lazy and will eat an apple rather than drive to the store for junk. I offer salads with every meal. Most of what I cook for myself is low-carb and due to laziness on my hubby's part, he winds up eating a lot of meals that are meat-and-veggie based.

But there is an in-between area also. There are foods my blood glucose cannot handle that I think are healthy foods. Barley, buckwheat and legumes, for instance. The amount of micronutrients for the amount of carbs make them seem like worthwhile foods for nearly everyone who is not diabetic or overweight. I try to add these foods to the diets of people I cook for as they are healthy foods for those who can tolerate more carbs than I can.

And there's places where it's just his choice. He eats ice cream. He can't eat sugar-free ice cream except when I make homemade cause the store-bought stuff has too much sugar alcohols and his idea of a "serving" would definitely cause GI distress. So I buy a decent "real" ice cream for him. I buy sugar for his coffee.

Heck, I buy tea and can't stand the stuff myself, just to have around for other folks.

The only *strict* rules I have is I will not buy a product containing HFCS or trans fats. I don't care if people buy them or eat them, but I feel they're too dangerous to health for me to be involved; I'm opposed to serving poison to family or guests even if they prefer it.

As far as I can tell, no one even notices that I don't buy these products. Cause it's also *my* choice to serve a berry tart with an almond crust and a sugar-free mascarpone-cheese filling when I have guests. Or fresh strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. No one even notices it's low-carb when you give them something truly decadent and sometimes I like to make a dessert I can eat too.

But even if we're talking candy bars and chips, I'm not the food police. Hubby's stepmom is the junk-food-pusher I mentioned earlier, and the woman is diabetic and has severe diabetic complications! I gave her a book and some homemade sugar-free chocolate a few years ago for Christmas; it was obvious she wasn't interested and I have never said a word to her since about what she eats. It's her choice. It's not my job to hassle her cause she eats crap.
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 11:03

BF:

Quote:
I keep the fruit bowl full cause hubby is lazy and will eat an apple rather than drive to the store for junk. I offer salads with every meal. Most of what I cook for myself is low-carb and due to laziness on my hubby's part, he winds up eating a lot of meals that are meat-and-veggie based

LOLOLOL!!! I think our husbands are related! He is low carb because he would rather eat what I made than cook something himself. Of course, after losing 20 lbs, he thinks low carb is just peachy!
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 16:59

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
mediocre leg of lamb

Has the world gone mad?!

WHAT
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 17:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I have a skinny, carboholic husband. His grandmother is a skinny carboholic 100 year old lady. DH recently had a detailed physical for a new job. The doctor checked to make sure they had his age down correctly because his results would have been good for someone 10 - 15 years younger.

Would he be eating healthier if he ate less sugar and crap? Yep. Will the carbs kill him? I dunno, they sure haven't slowed down his grandmother, though his grandfather died at 92 or some such. Other side of the family didn't live so long -- 80s. Don't know what they ate though.

I think they're mutants! Like the elderly folks who live to be 115 and smoke. But I can't help but wonder... with their amazing genes, what would it have been like if they ate low carb and didn't smoke and drink?
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 18:52

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I absolutely agree with your comments above. Yet, despite this nagging doubt that creeps in occasionally (i.e. how could so many "experts" be so wrong???), I cannot deny that eating this way makes me feel wonderful. So how could it really be bad???? And those who eat the way I DON'T eat generally feel pretty horrible in a number of ways. We're just resistant to go against those who are supposedly more knowledgeable than we are (doctors....), but when I am thinking rationally, I have to say the proof is in how I feel.....isn't it?

Last I heard, doctors are NOT more knowledgeable than we are when it comes to diet and nutrition. My understanding is that they get 3 to 4 hours of nutrition in their 7 years of medical studies (which most of them spend boning up on obstetrics) and most of us here spend months studying nutrition!! I'll match what I've learned against what my doctor learned any day!! Also, against what the nutritionist or dietician he sends me to ...

Glenda