Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 218/199/189 Male 74"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Cashews?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"
• Grains
• Dairy
• Sugar
• Salt
• Tubers
• Legumes
• Cashews

I copied that from Tarlach's? sig. What is this list? Is this Paleo or what? Cashews aren't THAT bad, are they? I have trouble seeing how they fit into that list. Also, salt.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 21:14

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

According to Ray Audette, cashews contain toxins if they are not roasted, which is why they made the list.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 21:29

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
According to Ray Audette, cashews contain toxins if they are not roasted, which is why they made the list.

Not just according to Ray; from the wikipedia Cashew entry. :

"Although a nut in the culinary sense, in the botanical sense the fruit of the cashew is a seed. The seed is surrounded by a double shell containing a dermatogenic phenolic resin, urushiol, a potent skin irritant toxin also found in the related poison ivy. Some people are allergic to cashew nuts, but cashews are a less frequent allergen than nuts or peanuts."
"The urushiol must be removed from the dark green nut shells before the seed inside is processed for consumption; this is done by shelling the nuts, a somewhat hazardous process, and exceedingly painful skin rashes (similar to poison-ivy rashes) among processing workers are common."
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 21:47

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songwriter
What is this list? Is this Paleo or what? Cashews aren't THAT bad, are they? I have trouble seeing how they fit into that list. Also, salt.

It's my take on Paleo and it covers most of the accepted rules (plus maybe a bit more) My wife and I are pretty hard core paleo (shh frankly ).

As above - Paleo man might have possibly risked shucking cashews, but certainly wouldn't have consumed them handfuls at a time . My wife and I have found that cashews also case us a mild headache now (so we cut them out). The more you improve your diet, the more you can isolate the affects of individual foods.

She has since changed her sig list to:

The "Seven Deadly Sins"
• Grains (eg wheat/rice/oats etc)
• Dairy (eg milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc)
• Refined foods (eg salt/sugars etc )
• Nightshades (eg peppers/tomato/eggplant)
• Tubers (eg potato/arrowroot etc)
• Legumes (eg soy/beans/peas etc)
• Modernly palatable (eg cashews/olives etc)

..which is a bit more descriptive as mine doesn't specify nightshades (which we minimize and are probably cutting out).

I also avoid salt like the plague. Here's one reason why:
Quote:
Sodium chloride (salt) consumption. One is that Stone-Age men and women did not consume supplemental dietary sodium chloride (salt), which like protein can also cause increased calciuresis (calcium excretion) [Nordin et al. 1993] and loss of bone mass [Devine et al. 1995]. Because the kidney must obligatorily excrete calcium with sodium [Nordin et al. 1993], high levels of dietary sodium are now generally recognized to be the single greatest dietary risk factor for osteoporosis [Matkovic et al. 1995; Devine et al. 1995; Cappuccio 1996]. It should go without saying that in this context, "high" levels of dietary sodium are simply normal levels in Western societies.
from http://www.beyondveg.com/cordain-l/...m-loss-1a.shtml

... it's likely that paleo man didn't consume any added salt at all.

Last edited by Tarlach : Tue, Apr-01-08 at 04:46.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 04:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlach
• Nightshades (eg peppers/tomato/eggplant)
• Tubers (eg potato/arrowroot etc)

Not to nitpick, but potato is already covered under the nightshades.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 04:43

Plan: ZC Warrior | +40K Paleo
Stats: 200/180/180 Male 180cm
BF:

Yeah it's a double whammy sin. No chips for us!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 07:33

Plan: Seven Deadly Sins (Paleo)
Stats: 155/110/110 Female 166cm
BF:

I know that potatoes are nightshades, but they were off our list for being tubers first, so I left them there.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 170/160/150 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

thats good a list..

but i cheat with some raw horse / sheep milk .. oopps

Last edited by blackjack : Tue, Apr-01-08 at 09:05.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 09:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
songwriter if you like cashews, eat them. no harm done. who cares if there on 7 deadly sins..its more healthy to eat them and to worry about if there paleo or not lol

excluding grains,milk, salt doesnt mean you'll live long and healthy.

I'm starting to wonder what you mean by listing "paleo" as your diet, given how dismissive you are of it's principals.
Eating cashews, or any other plant for that matter, is not going to help you to be healthier; so why bother? At worst, it will hurt you, at best it does nothing. For what it's worth, excluding grains, milk and salt does mean you'll live longer and be healthier.

Quote:
i was reading on Vince Gironda. he died at age 79 which is not even old. and was a big fan of low carb tons of meat and veggies. i dont think he did any grains. then i read stories of people who are near vegetarians and live to 110. ( i read more stories of people who ate alot of grains and veggies and milk and living to 100+ then people eating alot of meat )

Gironda was almost 80 when he died, and he was much more robust than most men his age up until then. We'll see if you think 80 "is not even old" if and when you get there. Can you cite your source that says Vince did not eat any grains? He was an early proponent of low carb, but he still had some questionable views no nutrition, though not nearly as ludicrous as most bodybuilders I've read. I know he was big on cream, eggs and liver (especially in the form of desiccated liver tablets), I know he recommended that people not eat processed/refined "junk" foods, but I don't recall reading anywhere that he completely abstained from eating any grains. The people you're talking about, the "near vegetarians" who make it to 110, would have made it even further if they only ate meat and fat; plus they would have been much more vigorous while they were alive.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 09:39
Registered Member

BF:

i dont know... but maybe he only did they type of diet during his bodybuilding years.... its possible that he went SAD in his later years in life...

i do paleo for an experiment, just as i tried vegetarian and raw veganism for quite a number of years. now im doing paleo.... but i have a feeling i'll go back to a mixed diet
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 10:56
Registered Member

BF:

i found this to be a diet for him
Breakfast:
Vince’s special protein drink made of 12 oz half and half, 12 raw eggs, 1/3 cup milk-and-egg protein powder, 1 banana. (Make one to three mixtures of this formula and drink throughout the day, between meals, and before retiring)

Supplements
1 multi-vitamin tablet 3 vitamin A and D tablets or 3 halibut oil capsules 1 vitamin B complex
1 vitamin B-15 tablet 1 vitamin C comlex (300 mg) 2 vitamin E capsules (800 iu)
1 zinc tablet 1 chelated mineral tablets 5 alfalfa tablets
10 kelp tablets 3 tri-germ and wheat germ oil capsules 1 RNA/DNA tablet
3 Lysine tablets
(400 mg) 1 hydrochloric acid tablet
(before meal)
3 digestive enzyme tablets (after meal) 3 multi-glandular tablets
(nucleo glan male or female)

Lunch
1 pound hamburger or other meat
Mixed greeen salad or raw vegetables

Supplements
1 iron tablet
4 calcium tablets
Repeat of breakfast vitamins with omission of vitamin E, tri-germ, wheat germ, halibut oil

Dinner
1 to 2 pound steak or roast meat
Raw or steamed vegetables or salad and cottage cheese

Supplements
Same as lunch

Special Supplements
10 amino acids and desiccated liver tablets (every 3 hours) 5 yeast tablets with the protein drink

4 raw orchic tissue tablets (before and after workouts)

6 each of the following before retiring: arginine, ortithine, tryptophan, calcium tablets
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 11:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack
i dont know... but maybe he only did they type of diet during his bodybuilding years.... its possible that he went SAD in his later years in life...

He definitely incorporated some low-carb and body-building. I know one of his frequent recommendations was against combining carbs and proteins; he also emphasized how important it was to eat fat and protein. Other than that, I've never gotten them impression that he "lived" especially low-carb. I doubt he ever went for the SAD, I'm not sure why you would think that.
He died in 1997 and was still active in his Gym until it closed in 1995, I'm not sure what the official "cause of death" was; but if you ask me, anyone who almost makes it into their late seventies, with their body and mind in reasonably good shape, has had a pretty good run.

Quote:
i do paleo for an experiment, just as i tried vegetarian and raw veganism for quite a number of years. now im doing paleo.... but i have a feeling i'll go back to a mixed diet

I can respect that, I've tried vegetarianism and veganism as well. Though I think you should try "pure carnivorism" too, you know, in the interest of science and experimentation and all that. Once you do, you'll start to see the vegetables for the pathetic food substitutes that they really are.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 11:11
Registered Member

BF:

Frankly you could be right... maybe i should do the carnivorous diet...

i dont know what to eat though =[ i need some guidance..

theres 2 reasons one is i live in a society where im surrounded by grains, sugar, junk foods, beer, etc, etc... which makes paleo hard and the other diets....

2 is i still think im slightly addicted to carbs (honey, fruit, etc)

another reason im afraid of doing all carnivour b/c i dont do well with raw meats... that means my diet would be near 100% cooked.... also i dont do with organ meats

i love steamed ground meat. thats my favorite

are egg yolks included in this and oils like coconut oil olive?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 11:16
Registered Member

BF:

i believe VINCE GIRONDA died of Heart Failture
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-08, 11:17
Registered Member