Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 218/172/130 Female 66.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Perhaps your doctor should investigate whether you are suffering from an inflamation of your pancreas or if gall stones might be the culprit. High triglycerides can lead to this condition. Nonetheless you should get it checked out soon.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 11:36
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Wink

Jenny,
I was just wondering how many people you must have murdered over the past 10 years... I bet you made baby Jesus cry too.

/smile
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 17:16

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Jill
Diabetes effects are sometimes perplexing.
Are you okay now?
Best wishes
Eddie
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 18:05

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08
Progress: 100%

Just a note re: the original subject - 'how come several of us had high blood sugars and felt like crap for a few days?' Well, we know that Jenny got a cold (sorry about that) so that may explain her situation. As for me, I never did come down with anything, just felt really allergic there. Still do to some extent but my BG's have returned to a much more satisfactory level. I have no idea what was going on, didn't change the food or the amounts or anything in particular. Just thought I'd post that because maybe sometimes we just don't know and if we don't know we can't do much about it!

P.S. They may have said that Jenny was a murderer but you can be darn well sure she wasn't a Cereal Killer!
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 18:15
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1942
P.S. They may have said that Jenny was a murderer but you can be darn well sure she wasn't a Cereal Killer!

I think the cereal killers are over at diabetesdaily.com. (with apologies for being off topic again...)

/smile
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 19:37

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I researched the history of the food triangle.
Comes from the Dept of Agriculture.
Maybe that excplains why the theory is SHXX!
Eddie
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 05:24

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
I researched the history of the food triangle.
Comes from the Dept of Agriculture.
Maybe that excplains why the theory is SHXX!
Eddie

Interesting history, huh?

I think you should give a brief somewhere on it again.

I remember vaguely and you are going to make me go back and look again.

It was some vague idea that suddenly everyone grasped and started pushing it.

It had very limited study material and was a misquote of the original research.

My memory is fuzzy on it, but it all had to do about many bad assumptions made it the way to go.

Ralph
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 06:56

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I am starting to think that my high BS may have been the result of stress. Who knows if there is actually a correlation! As a researcher, I am mad at myself for not taking the time to rummage through the professional literature for peer reviewed studies in this regard - I just cannot find the time! At any rate, my stress has significantly diminished along with my BS readings, as I am back to a FBG of 85. I am glad to see that others found this thread helpful to discuss their concerns. I appreciate all of the replies. Jill
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrH
I am starting to think that my high BS may have been the result of stress. Who knows if there is actually a correlation!...
Jill

According to Bernstein (2007) pp 94-96 he indicates that stress and/or the release of adrenaline can play a major part in elevation of bg. On page 100 he speaks of infection related increases (and other places in the book by individual infection).

Until he became used to it, prior to a television interview (due to stress/nerves/adrenaline, I guess) he would often see bg elevations of 75 to 100 mg/dl!

I think that infections are a form of stress as well.

/smile
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 07:39

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Rose,

Thanks for giving me a nice bout of laughter with which to start my day!

Korban,

Note that Bernstein also says he has never seen patients' blood sugars go up from the kind of day in day out emotional stress many of us mean when we say "stress."

One thing I've noticed as I get older is that I often go through a "coming down with something" reaction when there is a virus going around but don't end up getting sick. I think that may be because my immune system is much more effective now that I've got my blood sugar under control. But it is possible that the changes in the immune system due to fighting something off might raise blood sugar a bit.

When I was younger and had the undiagnosed MODY high blood sugars, I used to get colds and sore throats so often it was ridiculous. That really changed once I got into control.

This cold was very mild. A couple days of snuffling and now I'm pretty much over it.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-08, 07:53
Registered Member

BF:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Korban,

Note that Bernstein also says he has never seen patients' blood sugars go up from the kind of day in day out emotional stress many of us mean when we say "stress."

You are, no doubt, correct. However, I just know that my blood pressure levels while at work and especially on Fridays (two years ago) were almost always 200+/100+ and that was while taking 4 bp meds (I didn't normally measure bg). Weekend bps were markedly llower but not normal and there was an increasing trend from Monday to Friday. The stress for the most part was self induced from this classic Type A person. Once I was able to retire, my bp came down to normal range within a month and I was able to drop one bp med. My point is, every persons "day in day out emotional stress" may differ and may even differ over time of the week. I am fairly certain that the high bp was a component of my high bg, based on what I have read. I have no clue as to the relationship of bp's effect on bg though, but I suspect that it may be complex.

another 2 cents,
/smile