Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

My TG's were 60, so that makes my TG:HDL ratio 0.93

So that's good news.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

That's *great* news!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 13:08
Registered Member

It's just too bad that when I googled "history of cholesterol" this is the first article on the list:

http://www.hhmi.org/bulletin/sept20...ol/century.html

I would feel a lot better if I had some ACTUAL STUDIES to print out and have on hand, not just articles, interpretations and blog entries...

When I googled statin studies all I got were positive reports on them...reversing heart disease, etc.

I decided to stop googling and just come back here and rely on y'all to keep me sane... I can't find anything "mainstream" that supports the Enig, Taubes, Eades position.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 06:56

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08

Elle, I hear you - I too have searched for actual studies on this and have come up empty. I am sure there must be some out there but maybe they are not available to us. Some information is behind walls, as in sites that require logins by physicians, or paid for viewing. I don't even know if medical journals are available in public libraries, for the use of the general public.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 09:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Define mainstream.

There's been a whole series of articles about the uselessness of statins in mainstream, conservative publications like Business Week. Let me see if I can find some. They reference studies done by the NIH. You should be able to glean study authors or titles from the article and look for them on PubMed.

In the Real World, a Slew of Side Effects from Statins
Do Cholesterol Drugs Do Any Good?
Quote:
DOING THE MATH

The second crucial point is hiding in plain sight in Pfizer's own Lipitor newspaper ad. The dramatic 36% figure has an asterisk. Read the smaller type. It says: "That means in a large clinical study, 3% of patients taking a sugar pill or placebo had a heart attack compared to 2% of patients taking Lipitor."

Now do some simple math. The numbers in that sentence mean that for every 100 people in the trial, which lasted 3 1/3 years, three people on placebos and two people on Lipitor had heart attacks. The difference credited to the drug? One fewer heart attack per 100 people. So to spare one person a heart attack, 100 people had to take Lipitor for more than three years. The other 99 got no measurable benefit. Or to put it in terms of a little-known but useful statistic, the number needed to treat (or NNT) for one person to benefit is 100.

Compare that with, say, today's standard antibiotic therapy to eradicate ulcer-causing H. pylori stomach bacteria. The NNT is 1.1. Give the drugs to 11 people, and 10 will be cured.

A low NNT is the sort of effective response many patients expect from the drugs they take. When Wright and others explain to patients without prior heart disease that only 1 in 100 is likely to benefit from taking statins for years, most are astonished. Many, like Winn, choose to opt out.

Plus, there are reasons to believe the overall benefit for many patients is even less than what the NNT score of 100 suggests. That NNT was determined in an industry-sponsored trial using carefully selected patients with multiple risk factors, which include high blood pressure or smoking. In contrast, the only large clinical trial funded by the government, rather than companies, found no statistically significant benefit at all. And because clinical trials themselves suffer from potential biases, results claiming small benefits are always uncertain, says Dr. Nortin M. Hadler, professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a longtime drug industry critic. "Anything over an NNT of 50 is worse than a lottery ticket; there may be no winners," he argues. Several recent scientific papers peg the NNT for statins at 250 and up for lower-risk patients, even if they take it for five years or more. "What if you put 250 people in a room and told them they would each pay $1,000 a year for a drug they would have to take every day, that many would get diarrhea and muscle pain, and that 249 would have no benefit? And that they could do just as well by exercising? How many would take that?" asks drug industry critic Dr. Jerome R. Hoffman, professor of clinical medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Then there's all the Videos done by Malcom Kendrick on Youtube that reference various enormous studies like MONICA.
http://youtube.com/results?search_q...ck&search_type=

There's a ton of stuff at http://www.thincs.org/index.htm

Look at how many members are cardiologists: http://www.thincs.org/members.htm

And at that site, here's where a lot of the articles and studies are cataloged. http://www.thincs.org/news.htm
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 11:42
Registered Member

Sheesh. Then I read this statement in Dr Mikes blog from Feb 4th, 2008.

"The responder business counts only if there is actual demonstrated causation between elevated triglycerides and heart disease, which there isn’t."

I thought there was demonstrated correlation???

It would follow that if elevated TG's don't correlate with HD, then low TG's don't correlate with lack of HD, right?

I think I'll just go stick my head back in the sand now. This is getting to be too much for me. Denial was easier and less stressful.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 11:44
Registered Member

Thank you so much Nancy.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 15:12

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

And you gotta read Malcolm Kendrick's book called "The Great Cholesterol Con", too!

The "Second Opinions" website by Barry Groves also has some good articles.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO NEED to worry about those numbers - the only one perhaps that IS significant, as far as I can gather, is triglycerides.

I can only echo what an earlier poster said about the topic of aging and women: women in their 90s have sky-high cholesterol. Low cholesterol is found in depressives, brings on Parkinson's etc.

As for statins, when I looked for information, I googled 'statins' and 'side-effects' and found a lot of negative stuff about people having all sorts of nasty side-effects. I also had a Google News Alert going for a while, called "cholesterol", which of course threw all sorts of stuff at me, the most interesting articles being about all the mega-bucks being made out of the cholesterol-lowering industry.

It's a topic worth reading up on. Have fun but don't worry!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 07:04

Plan: Bernstein-ish
Stats: 148/125/125 Female 5'0"
BF:Started 1/5/08

Mega bucks being made by the drug companies is what it's all about for sure. Everything about their marketing is geared to it. Were you ever sitting around any doctor's office or clinic and happen to notice a drug company rep stopping by? Here's what most of them look like:

A nice looking, rather tall and leggy woman in her late twenties. She is carrying a very expensive leather briefcase. Her clothes must have come from Bergdorf's. Her skirt is a little short, just at the knee (professional but still modest) and she is wearing what look like $500 black leather medium heel shoes. Her hair is very expensively styled and her makeup is perfection. She has an air of confidence about her.

When she makes her presentation to the doctors everything she says is perfectly choreographed (sometimes you can overhear this) and the combination of the effect she has on men plus the slick marketing tools at her disposal, plus the promise of all the money to be made by everyone by this wonder drug, is simply dazzling.

And you think all of this is coincidental? Pfizer and Merke and Bayer and Squibb have deep pockets and every single thing they do is calculated to maintain an illusion of unquestionable quality - sort of like a Mercedes dealership.......
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 07:46
Registered Member

Yes, I used to work in a hospital, and I know all about the drug reps. I was often jealous of them, looking all beautiful and polished (the guys were always buff and hot, too), while I was in my scrubs and no make-up!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 13:48

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I work in a hospital. I have seen them, and I am related to one too. Rose's depiction is pretty right on. Made me chuckle.
My cousin (drug rep, but I love her) is the same way. She has a bachelors in education, and I have a bachelors in nursing.
She makes 100K a year and gets to drive a mercedes (company car) and I barley make 65K working full time nights delivering actual patient care/running my ass off/being abused by the public/doctors/and the hospital. I even work on a CARDIAC UNIT!!! Hmmm, now why do so many of our Pts have dementia???? To be responsible I must note that there are many other reasons for the dementia as well, not just statins. They sure dont help matters though. I think that they are junk.

She has tried to convince me to come work for her company. I currently do things in my line of work that would make a maggot vomit, but the thought of being a drug rep sounds worse. Like I would be transformed into a steppford wife clone and a total liar/parrot. At least I can be me........

Sorry for the vent......

Last edited by Bandito : Wed, Mar-26-08 at 13:54.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
A nice looking, rather tall and leggy woman in her late twenties. She is carrying a very expensive leather briefcase. Her clothes must have come from Bergdorf's. Her skirt is a little short, just at the knee (professional but still modest) and she is wearing what look like $500 black leather medium heel shoes. Her hair is very expensively styled and her makeup is perfection. She has an air of confidence about her.
Interesting description. I was recruited heavily by one US drug company 5 years ago, when I was 44, to be a rep. I was not leggy or tall. I do, however, have FUD in chemistry and am a marketing sort of person. Didn't really appeal to me -- I loved my job at the time.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 08:43
Registered Member

Well, Liz, I'm sure there are exceptions, as there are in everything, everywhere. But in my 15 years in the medical field I have to say that these descriptions were the norm for medical salespeople of *all* kinds, not just drugs.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 12:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Here's something from Dr. Davis today about a new survey on heart scans:
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...ow-no-race.html
Quote:
No surprise whatsoever: Coronary calcium scores obtained through heart scans represent a measure of the disease--coronary atherosclerosis--itself. It is not a risk factor that may or may not be associated with development of coronary atherosclerosis. Thus, when heart scan scores are held up in comparison the cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, c-reactive protein, or any other risk measure, heart scan scores outshine all these measures by enormous margins as predictors of your future.

Want to know what your uncorrected heart disease future could be? Consult your heart scan score. Not your cholesterol panel.

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2...ow-no-race.html
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-08, 12:34

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

Elle - After you said in the thread I started that our numbers are similiar I found your post in this regard. I am confused, because when I add together yours (and mine) HDL, LDL, and Tri's, it does not equal the total cholesterol. I guess this is not how they figure total cholesterol - what do I know! Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
My TG's were 60, so that makes my TG:HDL ratio 0.93

So that's good news.