Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 11:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wasn't happy with the BBQ of the Americas either. I think I used it on a roast and didn't really find it tasted BBQ'y at all. However, perhaps it could have other uses. I need to taste it alone again and cogitate.

I don't think adding it to plain tomato sauce is really going to work. It's just spices, not a recipe! BBQ sauce should probably have some sweetener, some vinegar or something acidic, and perhaps some hot spices, in addition to other spices, such as BBQofA.

My chicken with Sunny Spain, which I BBQ'd was a little disappointing. But I don't think the spice was to blame, it was just overpowered by the BBQ taste from the charcoal.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-11, 11:58

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it seemed to make more sense than starting a new one of the same subject.

I just made the most incredible baby back ribs yesterday and I want to mention it. I seasoned the racks with Penzey's Italian sausage seasoning that is intended for ground pork and then let them warm up to room temp. I put them in a large roasting pan with 0.5 cup of water in the bottom, covered them and baked for 1.5 hours. Then I drained off the juices, removed the foil cover, increased the heat to 375 degrees and let them roast uncovered for another 30 minutes. (I stole this cooking method, the times, the temps from a famous chef -- his ingredients were expensive, hence my use of the Penzey's seasoning)

I mention this because the Italian sausage seasoning is excellent on pork -- I think it would be great on pork chops.

The Barbeque 3000 wasn't good. I wouldn't buy it again. Perhaps barbeque wasn't meant to come in the form of a powder.

I like Florida seasoned pepper on eggs. It has Tellicherry black pepper, citric acid, lemon peel powder, garlic and onion. The citric acid gives it a little zip. Sunny Spain is similar and works for eggs too but it's not quite as good.

I use Singapore seasoning for a super easy shrimp salad: combine shrimp, mayonnaise and Singapore seasoning. Let sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to mingle. Stir again before serving. This is much better than you would think.

Northwoods seasoning is good rubbed on chicken pieces before baking.

Mural of flavor is yummy. It's good as a condiment at the table.

I'm neutral on their pork chop seasoning and Chicago steak seasoning. I disliked the 3 curry powders that I tried. I have better recipes.

I've been buying spices at Penzey's since the early 90s but never got into the blends until just now except for the Adobo seasoning that I've used on pork chops for decades. That was the first free sample they sent me. I wish they still sent free samples. I always forget the coupons.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-11, 12:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thanks Alison!

I haven't really liked any of their bbq seasonings. However, I threw together a rub of my own that tasted awesome on my smoked brisket... unfortunately it was rather random, so I'll never be able to recreate it.
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-11, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Oh, I love Penzey's. My favorites are Arizona Dreaming and Bangkok Blend and both are salt-free. I think they must have had a lot of comments about salt, because many are now salt-free. Also buy their extra-bold black pepper corns and extra-hot red chile flakes (we like hot). Adobo, cumin, and Vietnamese cinnamon are also the best I've used.