Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-11, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChice
I will disagree. Unless you happen to have a link to an accredited journal with a study published that backs your opinion.

Nice to see you again and appreciate the response . Opinions though, don't seem to need any facts
Anyone living for any length of time with a food plan ( I will never call this journey a DIET) will have the frustrations of not understanding why the scale is not a good indicator of what is going on. We all ( maybe not all ) know that sodium will increase water retention most of the time so the scale will not show a "loss" and that is the tip of that iceburg. "logic" has nothing to do with this article since it science and biophysics are not based on logic but on research data. It is not 'logical' that mold was the catalyst to the discovery of PCN... and just to show what does happen: my scale is up 3 pounds overnight but my keto strips are dark and my pants are falling off! Obviously my sodium intake was up ( not due to exercise water retention)... and so it goes
HAve a great day TChice
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-11, 07:43
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket56
Nice to see you again and appreciate the response . Opinions though, don't seem to need any facts
Anyone living for any length of time with a food plan ( I will never call this journey a DIET) will have the frustrations of not understanding why the scale is not a good indicator of what is going on. We all ( maybe not all ) know that sodium will increase water retention most of the time so the scale will not show a "loss" and that is the tip of that iceburg. "logic" has nothing to do with this article since it science and biophysics are not based on logic but on research data. It is not 'logical' that mold was the catalyst to the discovery of PCN... and just to show what does happen: my scale is up 3 pounds overnight but my keto strips are dark and my pants are falling off! Obviously my sodium intake was up ( not due to exercise water retention)... and so it goes
HAve a great day TChice

You have a good one as well!
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-11, 23:44

Plan: Maximized Living
Stats: 153/143/125 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:23.7
Progress: 36%

Wow that was really helpful... My plateauing makes more sense now...
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 22:53

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Man, does the scale confuse you! Have been eating clean, lots of walks, eating less because of the heat, clothing loser these days and BOOM! scale shows a 5 POUND GAIN!!!!! No logic in this WHAT so ever!
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-11, 07:52
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israeli
Man, does the scale confuse you! Have been eating clean, lots of walks, eating less because of the heat, clothing loser these days and BOOM! scale shows a 5 POUND GAIN!!!!! No logic in this WHAT so ever!

Oh Tell me about it! My scale went up NINE pounds in one week! Of course I knew it was water according to my wedding band but STILL NINE!!!!
That was 3 days ago and 8 are gone and my ring is still snug so I know more to come.
You have the right stuff going for you! Don't forget that all the waliking is bound to replace some fat with muscle which is denser and although takes up less space, it does weigh more on the scale!! Clothing guide is better..soooo, why do I still hop onto the scale every morning???? because it is a tool
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-11, 00:15
Registered Member

BF:

here's an update... scale is back to normal readings and water was the culprit.Numbers are the same and clothes are stlll looser so my scale is playing with me again! I am having my planned eating off my normal routine since it is birthday ending # 65 for me today ( ofrficially since it is after midnight).I started with a slice if pizza, one finger tender and a large DQ cone for the day before. Today will be Chinese so the salt will play havock again.And back to weigh in on Thursday!!!
Hey guys, If I can play scale Mambo and learn the dance, so can you
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 00:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/187/152 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Wow, great article!
I will keep that in mind!
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-11, 13:25
Registered Member

BF:

My DH has gotten a lot out of this article as well and has lost over 70 pounds his way.Cannot argue with success and his 6 pack!
When the numbers go up or do not change, there is always a good reason.
Have a great Thanksgiving Day and enjoy the food.We can do it without over doing it!
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-12, 11:50

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Thought it was time to bump this for the new folk!
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-12, 12:10

Plan: Atkins/DADR
Stats: 246/190.5/156 Female 5'10"
BF:27.3
Progress: 62%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
I think this should be mandatory reading for everyone starting induction.

I totally agree,Wish I had read it 10 months ago when I started..Thank you so much Cricket for recommending I find to read.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-12, 12:38

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

When I first read this, perhaps a year ago, this article seemed a little apocryphal to me. But I never forgot it, and as I spent the bulk on last year on 3 plateaus, with 2 short drops between them, it would come back to me. As I read it again today, I think "yeah, that's exactly what's going on". I love the idea of putting this on your phone for easy access.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-12, 12:48
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Good reminder Cricket of to not let that little metal thingy in your bathroom rule your life and get you off track!
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-12, 17:55
Registered Member

BF:

LOL... I have a pile of those metal thingys outside my bathroom window!
Cheaper to copy this and paste it to the bathroom mirror
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-12, 17:19

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 227/227/160 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just joined the forum yesterday and my first post was about going back and forth with the same 2 pounds for about 3 weeks now....someone left a comment with this article...I read it and then printed it so I keep it with me. I'd never really thought about some of the things in the article...it REALLY made me feel so much better. Hopefully I'll be able to push through this stall!!
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 01:21

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Yeah, well, I tell ya...I have been working out like a maniac, and I am losing inches all over quite successfully. But I'll be danged if that wretched scale has not moved any which way... but UP.
I think its from the DEVIL.
Yup.
All scales are made in the pit 'O hell!