Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 10:38

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%
Default Egg Yolks & Cholesterol

Yesterday, I had blood work done. My Doctor asked if I eat eggs and I said, yes, of course, perhaps an average of two each morning.

My Doctor said that I should continue eating eggs, but not the yolks, just the white of the egg. The yolks make the dietary cholesterol stick rather than release through the body is what I was told.

Now, I've done a little searching around and I can't find anything to back up what I was told. Is there anyone who knows any of the science of this???

Truth or fiction is what I would like to know.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 11:01

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

fiction.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/do...10.2006.00543.x

and just google around and you'll see.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 15:09

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Fiction, or a load of poo, as I like to say, CB.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 16:24

I enjoyed a breakfast of two scrambled eggs (yolk included) with sausage. That's a fact!

My Doctor challenged me to try eating just egg whites for the next 90 days and see what my next blood tests would show... hmmmm...

From searching around, if I cut out the egg yolks and did everything else the same, I might lower my cholesterol by 4% over 90 days; let's see at 230, that means it would drop down to about 221 and I would be giving up the nutrition of about 180 egg yolks. Doesn't sound logical to give up that many egg yolks to drop my cholesterol 9 points, when I'm sure it will eventually come down as I lose more weight and continue to exercise...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 16:46

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Check this out:

Quote:
Yes, ingestion of several eggs a day does tend to increase blood concentrations of cholesterol, particularly the amount circulating in low-density lipoproteins (LDLs)—the so-called bad cholesterol. However, the new study showed, eating eggs can also increase the amount of cholesterol in high-density lipoproteins (HDLs)—the good cholesterol.

Moreover, the new study showed that when people ate three or more eggs per day their bodies made bigger LDL- and HDL-lipoprotein particles than when they ate no eggs. That's important because other recent studies have suggested that larger LDLs are less likely than small ones to enter artery walls and contribute their cholesterol load to artery-clogging plaque. Similarly, larger HDLs are more robust than smaller ones at hauling cholesterol out of the bloodstream and, ultimately, out of the body, notes the lead researcher for the new study, Christine M. Greene.

In fact, she notes, her team's accumulating data indicate that most people's bodies handle the cholesterol from eggs in a way that is least likely to harm the heart.

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060506/food.asp
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 18:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Cholesterol tests don't show anything meaningful for the most part. Sure your number might go down but that number is irrelevant for the most part anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 18:59

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Cajun
It seems that dietary cholesterol has different
effects on different people.It's a big deal for
me.Cutting my weekly egg count down from 14 to 5 dropped my total cholesterol mainly ldl) by
35 points in 2 months.Many self proclaimed experts claim that cholesterol doesn't make any difference but I prefer to take the safe path and try to keep my TC number around 180.Most VLC'ers have great HDL and triglycerides and
high LDL and TC.I am not a VLC'er.
Eddie
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 19:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 03:33
Registered Member

Plan: not specific
Stats: 175/155/180 Male 5`11
BF:
Progress:

i eat 36 eggs a day and feel good. like i got rid of my chronic nose ear throat infection and the everlasting acidic feeling in my mouth is gone....but i don`t touch carbs...NO CARBS! because if i eat, say, a baked potato and only 5 eggs i feel sick, terribly so.

and the carbs in the eggs are the "innocent" ones that don`t count. cheers.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 04:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Wow, that's a lot of eggs jaiden. Is that all you eat?

Just curious.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 10:24

36 eggs a day... 3 dozen eggs a day...

At 75 calories per egg times 36 eggs equals 2700 calories.

There is a whole lot of information missing from your post for anyone with reasonable thinking to make sense of it.

Your profile states your starting weight was 175, current weight is 155 and your goal weight is 180, so from a progress towards your own posted goal, where's your progress?

Also, I've read some of your other posts... You say you love omelets. What ingredients do you use to make omelets, since you don't like cheese and any vegetables?

I agree with NancyLC that you might have an eating disorder. Too much of anything cannot be healthy for anyone. One indication is your aversion to other foods that you mentioned in some of your posts.

If you're truly 5'11" and your starting weight was 175 and you only wanted to gain 5 pounds, what on earth difference is 5 pounds of difference going to make on a man of your size and stature.

I don't only hold the opinion that eating 36 eggs a days is an eating disorder, but that your claim to that is pure make-believe.

My thread is in a forum for people who have cholesterol concerns. From reading most of your posts, you have no concerns, not even reaching your goal weight.

Last edited by Cajunboy47 : Sun, Feb-24-08 at 11:48.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 14:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
36 eggs a day... 3 dozen eggs a day...

At 75 calories per egg times 36 eggs equals 2700 calories.

There is a whole lot of information missing from your post for anyone with reasonable thinking to make sense of it.

Your profile states your starting weight was 175, current weight is 155 and your goal weight is 180, so from a progress towards your own posted goal, where's your progress?

Also, I've read some of your other posts... You say you love omelets. What ingredients do you use to make omelets, since you don't like cheese and any vegetables?

I agree with NancyLC that you might have an eating disorder. Too much of anything cannot be healthy for anyone. One indication is your aversion to other foods that you mentioned in some of your posts.

If you're truly 5'11" and your starting weight was 175 and you only wanted to gain 5 pounds, what on earth difference is 5 pounds of difference going to make on a man of your size and stature.

I don't only hold the opinion that eating 36 eggs a days is an eating disorder, but that your claim to that is pure make-believe.

My thread is in a forum for people who have cholesterol concerns. From reading most of your posts, you have no concerns, not even reaching your goal weight.

don`t get excited, please.

i am 5`11. and NOW i am around 160...

when i started out THIS DIET WITH EGGS i was 155, BECAUSE I WAS A VEGAN BEFORE IT...BUT WAY BEFORE I WAS AROUND 175 when i WASN`T A VEGAN. then i went totally carnvores, BUT I HAD ISSUES with MEAT specifically cuz it would accidify my body real bad, so i switched to eggs and i am putting the wieght back currently.

and i make ommletts without ANYTHING but eggs, on TEFLON. and eat it with craploads of butter.

about the cholestrol thing- it`s bad when combined with carbs. first i heard it and experimented which turns out to be true.

this is my first day today when i did not get dead tired in the GYM. and my skin is getting better and better- just you can tell the diff. on top of that i am not tired in the morning i after i wake up- i just jump off the bed literally. and i don`t sleep alot no more...and the morning breath thing is wayyyyyyyyy weaker and is going towards zero...i used to feel bad at night, but now it feels like as if its a broad daylight outside...after all this should i give up my eggs, HELL NO!

and if you think i got an eating disorder and this thought makes you feel better- so be it! i know what i am feeling and i see new positive changes everyday.

i don`t know your food policy, but if you think i am shoving my eating habits down other`s throats - you`re wrong. i am just sharing my experience. everybody decides on their own. i am doing it for my own benefit meaning i am not asking nobody to follow this one- i could care less.

Last edited by jaiden : Mon, Feb-25-08 at 14:57.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 15:50

Quote:
Posted by: Jaiden

about the cholestrol thing- it`s bad when combined with carbs. first i heard it and experimented which turns out to be true.

I sort of believe that way also, but have never seen anything to support my belief, but let's clarify a few things you stated in your previous posts...

If you really didn't care about others, you shouldn't be here, so at some level, you do care.....

We're not here to absorb information only but to share our experiences and by so doing we learn from each other..... With a guy like me, you'll feel attacked by me if you're not clear in your posts and your beliefs.

Your claim of eating 36 eggs a day sounds unbelievable, sorry, but I'm sure most other posters would feel the same way. If you broke it down for us, how you do it, we might get an understanding.

This is a Cholesterol forum, so how is your cholesterol? What was it when you ate a vegan diet? What is it while consuming 36 eggs a day?

What does a daily diet consist of besides the eggs...???

I'd like to hear about the results of your carb vs cholesterol experiments...

I start my morning with eggs cooked in butter some mornings with nothing else. I'm 5'8" and weigh 175. I feel so full, I can't imagine eating a 4th egg. I eat 3 meals a day. I try to imagine myself on an all eggs diet and I can't see myself being able to consume more than 12 to 15 eggs in a day. How do you manage to eat 36 eggs? It sounds gluttonous, just to think aobut consuming that many eggs, even if nothing else would be eaten... How can that be considered normal? When I said "eating disorder", I was referring to anything that is not normal according to eating habits of most humans... Perhaps, you do not have a disorder, but your eating 36 eggs is abnormal and that I'm sure you can agree with...

One thing I like at this website, is people challenge our thinking. In all due respect to you having your own decisions about what and how you consume foods, I do believe everyone here has a right to offer their opinions and beliefs about what is healthy or unhealthy.

If you offer up some proof that eating 36, 50 or whatever number of eggs a day is healthy, I'll gladly read it... but from the bits of information you've posted before, it is difficult to know what to make of what you've said....

Good luck to you...
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Your claim of eating 36 eggs a day sounds unbelievable, sorry, but I'm sure most other posters would feel the same way. If you broke it down for us, how you do it, we might get an understanding.

right..i mean if you choose not to believe i am not preventing you from it.

Quote:
This is a Cholesterol forum, so how is your cholesterol? What was it when you ate a vegan diet? What is it while consuming 36 eggs a day?

i did not do no readings, but i`d feel tottaly bad if i combined carbs with proteins and fats, but on only eggs- i am thriving...

does it have anything to do with cholesterol? i don`t know...at this point i don`t even care if my chlosterol levels are sky high...i feel great an even better and it gets gooder and better day by day...and that`s what counts

Quote:
What does a daily diet consist of besides the eggs...???

eggs+sups...but before when i was on other diets i needed more sups than now...i reduced the amont of types of supplements...i can afford it now.

Quote:
I start my morning with eggs cooked in butter some mornings with nothing else. I'm 5'8" and weigh 175. I feel so full, I can't imagine eating a 4th egg. I eat 3 meals a day. I try to imagine myself on an all eggs diet and I can't see myself being able to consume more than 12 to 15 eggs in a day. How do you manage to eat 36 eggs? It sounds gluttonous, just to think aobut consuming that many eggs, even if nothing else would be eaten... How can that be considered normal? When I said "eating disorder", I was referring to anything that is not normal according to eating habits of most humans... Perhaps, you do not have a disorder, but your eating 36 eggs is abnormal and that I'm sure you can agree with...

hehe, i don`t know may be i am a glutton, i eat 36 and sometimes more eggs and planning to eat even more, cuz sometimes i wanna eat...i never get tired of it...feels as if i am eating it first time everytime i eat ommlets...probably i am mentally sick as long as i am satisfied with my health(i am a health freak- i get easily freaked if i am not feeling good) i don`t give a ff.

on M&E forum somewhere on this board i read from the carnivores veterans that you don`t have to worry about the diversity and that eggs` carbs don`t carb- that`s all i needed...it works for me...i don`t feel i have to prove it- cuz i am not selling the idea or the by-products

Quote:
If you offer up some proof that eating 36, 50 or whatever number of eggs a day is healthy, I'll gladly read it... but from the bits of information you've posted before, it is difficult to know what to make of what you've said....

what kinda proof are you talking about please go ahead and think that i eat only 5 eggs a day. i won`t be offended.

ALL THE BEST!
[/QUOTE]
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 17:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

What doctors do not expect is that their patients just might ask for proof of "scientific" opinions.