Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 10:58

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Western diet pattern 'promotes metabolic syndrome'

"The high calorie, low fibre dietary pattern associated with the Western diet is associated with an increased risk of metabolic syndrome, says new research from the US.

The study, published in the journal Circulation, adds to previous studies on that point the finger at the highly processed foods and meats consumed in the Western diet in relation to a range of conditions, from obesity to colorectal cancer.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/n...-diet-mets-meat

The analysis is rather amusing. Sure the Western diet promotes metobolic syndrome, but not for the reasons they think. Duh.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 11:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How many years can they dance around the real reason before they have to admit it finally?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 11:39

BF:

Well, if you ever had a two year and caught them doing something wrong....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 14:23
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

The interesting finding , to me, was that 1 diet soda a day led to a 34% increase in metabolic syndrome. The finding "was not hypothesized" and they want to study it more.
What do you think?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 14:44

BF:

Quote:
contrary to other studies, no benefits were observed for fruits and vegetables, nuts, whole grains, refined grains, or coffee.

I found this to be very interesting since this is what the gooberment always tells us to eat.

As for soda, that could just be someone who is gaining weight already is more likely to drink diet soda.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 14:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
The interesting finding , to me, was that 1 diet soda a day led to a 34% increase in metabolic syndrome. The finding "was not hypothesized" and they want to study it more.
What do you think?

That sentence implies a causation: The soda led to metabolic syndrome. Perhaps it is the other way around, the metabolic syndrome caused someone to gain weight and decide to switch to diet sodas.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 16:28
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Health All NYT (N Y Times)
Symptoms: Metabolic Syndrome Is Tied to Diet Soda

By NICHOLAS BAKALAR
Published: February 5, 2008
Researchers have found a correlation between drinking diet soda and metabolic syndrome — the collection of risk factors for cardiovascular disease and diabetes that include abdominal obesity, high cholesterol and blood glucose levels, and elevated blood pressure.

Dietary Intake and the Development of the Metabolic Syndrome. The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (Circulation)The scientists gathered dietary information on more than 9,500 men and women ages 45 to 64 and tracked their health for nine years.

Over all, a Western dietary pattern — high intakes of refined grains, fried foods and red meat — was associated with an 18 percent increased risk for metabolic syndrome, while a “prudent” diet dominated by fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry correlated with neither an increased nor a decreased risk.

But the one-third who ate the most fried food increased their risk by 25 percent compared with the one-third who ate the least, and surprisingly, the risk of developing metabolic syndrome was 34 percent higher among those who drank one can of diet soda a day compared with those who drank none.

“This is interesting,” said Lyn M. Steffen, an associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Minnesota and a co-author of the paper, which was posted online in the journal Circulation on Jan. 22. “Why is it happening? Is it some kind of chemical in the diet soda, or something about the behavior of diet soda drinkers?”
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I wish it were harder to get a degree in epidemiology. That would weed out so many of the stupid people in the field.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 18:57

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

Clearly metabolic syndrome causes people to drink diet sodas. But just to be sure we should find some people with metabolic syndrome and under controlled conditions offer a range of drinks and see what they go for.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 19:57
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
Over all, a Western dietary pattern — high intakes of refined grains, fried foods and red meat — was associated with an 18 percent increased risk for metabolic syndrome, while a “prudent” diet dominated by fruits, vegetables, fish and poultry correlated with neither an increased nor a decreased risk.

This quote got me thinking ... if they're saying things like "increased" and "decreased" then that means they're comparing it to something.

The 'prudent' diet didn't seem to change the risk at all. Is this 'risk' like a country-wide statistic or something? Is it broken up into ages, regions etc? Were these categorisations considered when applying them to the test groups in question?

I'm not saying the study was conducted incorrectly, I'm saying this synopsis is so vague it's actually confused me and the message has been lost.