Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default No one ever makes a New Year's Resolution like this

This article was featured in CarbSmart Magazine. After reading I wanted to share. Thanks for the heads up, Lisa

No One Ever Makes a New Year's Resolution Like This
By Kathleen Lunson, CarbSmart Contributor
Posted 1/18/2002

No one ever makes a new year's resolution like this:

"This year I resolve to find a product which will magically turn me thin, and I resolve to buy it."

No one ever makes a new year's resolution like this, either:

"This year I will find a magic expert to take over my life and by following them exactly I will lose weight."

And yet, isn't that exactly what the media tries to sell us? This morning I heard a television commercial for a national weight loss chain. The final "testimonial" quote from the satisfied customer was "They changed my life without changing the way I live."

Now, think this over with me.

If all I had to do was write a check, if I didn't have to do anything whatsoever to change my behavior except write someone a check (because what after all is "the way I live" except my behavior?), and I would become slim and fit and attractive, what would that be worth? How much would you pay for that?

A thousand dollars? Easily. I would gratefully pay anyone a thousand dollars to make me slim, fit, and attractive without asking anything of me in order to accomplish that. You could probably even get your HMO to pay that if you were medically obese and it worked. Think of the money they would save in medical bills on you in the long run. They'd probably pay ten thousand dollars for that!

And if I were wealthy? Say, a superstar athlete's wife coming off my third pregnancy? Would a hundred grand be too much to spend to keep his eye from wandering on those long road trips?

So, what do you figure the company in these commercials was charging? Forty-nine dollars.

That's it. Forty-nine dollars. Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? Why don't we all just do that? Pay them forty-nine dollars, keep our lives just the same, and become slim?

Well, we all know why. Because it doesn't work. Even they don't really mean that they can change our lives without changing anything about the way we live. We have to change how we eat.

I haven't been to any of this company's locations, they may even tell us to participate in exercise, and attend their support groups to achieve the weight loss. That sure sounds like changing the way I live to me.

And can we turn on the radio without hearing a disk jockey advertising some product that melts off the weight while we sleep? We can eat whatever we want, quietly glossing over the fact that we aren't allowed to eat within three hours of bedtime. Are our memories so short that we can't remember those same disk jockeys claiming the same seventeen pounds lost on a different product the year before?

The diet books and infomercials, even for low carb don't help any. Who hasn't seen them advertised as working like a miracle, as capable of just melting the pounds away? As though our obesity was our own Wicked Witch of the West and if someone will just think to throw some water on it, it will be destroyed.

Now the truth is, that copious amounts of water are actually quite helpful in the dieting process. And many products really do help, at least a little, especially for some specific physiological conditions.

But I've got worse stories to tell. At least at that place you have to come up with forty-nine dollars. At least the pills cost money. But there are too many of us who want our weight loss handed to us on a silver platter, given to us for free.

We read the low carb books. They promise easy results. Or, at least, we gloss over the parts where they hint there might be further complications than what the advertising on the back cover promises. And we get started. We buy two hundred dollars worth of meat and cheese and heavy cream and sugar free Jell-O, and we're off.

We're on a roll. Five pounds comes off the first week. We've conquered hunger, we feel we are in control of our destinies. Ketostix testing becomes our most expensive hobby, and we exult in the deep purple. Weight loss is coming to us on a silver platter; finally there is justice in the world.

The next week we lose two pounds. OK, not quite so good, but hey, we're cool, we can take as slower pace.

Doubt creeps in. If we have been expecting a printed, published diet to be a miracle fix then, well, frankly, losing 2 pounds a week doesn't seem so miraculous. When we lose nothing at all the next week, it seems downright unfair.

If we expect to find some formula, some exact combination of what foods and supplements to put in our bodies, then we begin to lose faith that we have yet found it. We go in search of a better miracle.

The trouble is that many of us don't realize that we have to make our own miracles. We're still looking for it "out there." We want our weight loss handed to us on a silver platter; something that can be found if we just shop in the right store or find the right expert.

You can see this on any of the Internet low carb lists. Sometime come late January the questions start coming. Who knows if "Instant Washboard Abs" really works? What does every one think of "Pick a Celebrity's" latest plan? What can make me lose weight faster and easier?

On a good Internet list the answers start coming, too. In come the hordes of suggestions for this supplement or that. Somewhere in the din of replies someone will ask the questioner to post what they've been eating.

I can almost predict the eventual success of the dieter by whether or not, and in what tone they reply to all the responses. Are they most interested in the line of questioning that keeps the solution outside themselves? Or are they willing to look at what work they may need to do?

When I see five, ten, twenty successful long term low carbers give the same advice to the discouraged newcomer, it usually involves changing something about what they eat or how they eat it or how they relate to food on an emotional level in order to succeed. When I see that discouraged newcomer ignore them, then I know what's coming next. In a few days he or she will ask "Has anybody tried taking "Magic-Fat-Be-Gone? How did it work?"

But you know, I have gotten to where I can almost guess ahead of time who's going to go down that path.

Do they ask questions, the answers for which can be found in the dictionary on page four of Protein Power? Would any decent search engine give them a hundred sites on the word search? Do they ask a question that was asked and answered yesterday? Are they still complaining about their stall a month later without having done what the dozen concurring experts advised them? If so, I'm willing to bet that they are looking for someone or something to give their weight loss to them without even paying forty-nine dollars for it! Silver platters, optional?

On the other hand, after years on low carb Internet lists, I have seen another type of newcomer. Here is what their questions sound like. "I read this. I got this and this and this, and I am eating this and this and this. My symptoms are such and such. What am I doing wrong?"

Notice all those verbs in the first person singular? Notice all those personal pronouns? That's a person who is willing to change the way they live in order to change their life. And I'll bet good money that when the advice starts coming in to that person, they will try to follow it.

And if they find they cannot follow it, then they will ask themselves, "What is going on with me that I can't do this?"

That person is going to get slim and fit and attractive. It won't happen overnight. Their weight loss is more likely to be served up on a shovel than a silver platter. Long term, significant weight loss takes digging. And this is one of those situations where you can't pay anyone else to dig for you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/208/175
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thanks for sharing -- really good article.

I keep saying this, but I am SO glad I found this site-- you are all so helpful !!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:48

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

The voice of sanity!

Thanks so much Nat. This is going to go into my link list to point people to

#4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
This is going to go into my link list to point people to

LOL, mine TOO!

N
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:51

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Excellent Article!

Thank you for the enlightening article. It makes sense ... and is so true.

You're right ... This IS an excellent site, and the people are just as excellent!

Sally
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:06

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

wow, Nat, great find!

This author is nicer than I...I get an urge to toss a brick every time I see an add for those electronic stimulator ab belts on TV. Yeah, if you're 50 pounds overweight, that's all it'll take to get flat abs.

By the way, Nat, have you ever tried taking Magic-Fat-Be-Gone? mmmhmmm, and how did it work? That one made me laugh aloud, literally!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
wow, Nat, great find!

I didn't find it, Lisaf did. I just cut n pasted it and forced you all to read it

Quote:
Originally posted by razzle
By the way, Nat, have you ever tried taking Magic-Fat-Be-Gone? mmmhmmm, and how did it work? That one made me laugh aloud, literally!

No, but I have a bottle of chitosan at the back of my cupboard that I'd be willing to sell - real cheap! Any takers?

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
No, but I have a bottle of chitosan at the back of my cupboard that I'd be willing to sell - real cheap! Any takers?

It would probably make great plant fertilizer!

I'll add this thread to Hot Links!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 14:25

Stats: 193/193/140 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking wow!

Nat, That is a great article! I found myself agreeing with her about everything!

I have even seen many of those same questions/topics on this Board. Have thought and asked a few myself.

Well, this is a whole new world for most of us, especially me, and we are all trying to find our way around.

I'm glad I found this site. This site is soooo helpful and positive. Even when the same questions are asked again and again and again....

Just remember, everyone is a newbie once.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 14:59

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Sanity indeed

This was a great thread to read and throw my hat in the air and shout HURRAH!.

I have just returned from a trip to the good ol' US of A. This was my first big trip since I started this WOE and I had all the advice from you guys ringing in my ears.

Eating the Burger and not the Bun. Declining the Home fries and waffles with maple syrup. Eggs and bacon for brekkie. Prime rib,Steak, Lobster with butter for supper. Just had to have New England clam chowder my favorite even though it had potato and clams are fairly high in carbs. Salads with everything. Thats the nice thing about the USA, you get a salad without asking for it, the waiters do not mind you holding everything with a carb in it. Water magically appears by the jugfull. (Failed miserably in my water consumption however)

Returned home and no weight gained maybe 1lb loss in 12 days.

The point of this verbal waffle is that I also was shocked and horrified at the big business that is the diet industry in the US.
I went into Barnes and Noble bookstore and the number of diet books was staggering. (bought the secret to Low carb success by Laura Richard by the way... still reading it... looks good) many offering the instant cure.

The radio was worse. Pills this time. Blockers for this, blockers for that, people just standing by to relieve me of money. People are buying the magic pills, people are buying the books, but people are not getting any slimmer. Some people in the USA are huge. I saw more obese people per square inch of New York and Philadelphia than anywhere else in the world and I have been to most places.

The advertising for some products verge on the criminal. Even with the money back guarantee if not completely satisfied I wanted to leap up and strangle the advertiser. Mrs R, my trusty companion is now used to me ranting at the TV, radio, bookshops, supermarkets and the food pyramid.

Went into a supermarket and bought an Atkins brownie and almond bar not available in the UK. It smelt like rubber. Took one bite and spat it out. Expletive deleted. Mrs R took a bite and clutched her mouth and headed for the restroom. Bought Splenda to bring home and cook with. I hope I do better with that.

It is not easy when all said and done to stay on track. It is not a walk in the park. But the message of this thread is... it really is up to me. You guys cannot make me do it. The advertisers surely can't.

The truth is out there and it comes with a low carb label on it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 15:53
Registered Member

Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Smile Wow!

Makes you really think about all the people paying the money to change their own life, get a grocery list and change it yourself.

I think until you get to the point where you say YOU will pick this up and change your entire life for it you're not really committed. I hope I'm that strong!

I really liked the pill "bashing" part. I don't like taking pills anyway, I can see taking a multi-vitamin every day while you're in weight loss, but fat-burner this and fat burner that is just a bunch of BS.

Thanks Nat,

Carrie
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:29

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

Anyone know how to get a copy of CarbSmart magazine? Sounds like something I might enjoy.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:37

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default I think it is a website

#14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 19:21

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thanks for posting this Nat. Great article.

I think the irony of it is that by just settling into LCing as a WOE with a dash of persistance and it happens. Slowly for some of us, but surely. And it gets easier as time goes by.

It really doesn't matter how long it takes anymore. I know this is a WOL. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the tide to turn.

Marlaine
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 22:09

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Thanks Nat

This article was funny to read, but at the same time it was really sad. Some people are so pathetic and desparate to lose weight that they will believe anything.

And Rustpot, you are right. A few years ago, Philadelphia was rated the fattest city in the USA. The mayor put everyone on a diet and it now ranks 3rd or 4th. Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches, Soft pretzels, twinkies--these are some of the Philly favorites.

But if you thought Philly was fat, you should see the people in the central PA area. These are the Pennsylvania Dutch and they are raised on Pot Pie, corn soup with rivvels, meat and potatoes, shofly pies, etc. Seven sweets and seven sours at every meal!
I know--I was one of them! When I go home, I am amazed at the difference in the weight of the people in just a two hour driving distance.

Please don't get on me if you are also from Central PA. I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes. Just making a point.