Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 18:22
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penweary
Yep! July 2nd, though I am having a scheduled C section so they will be taking it 1 week prior.
TAKING??? IT??? <giggle>
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 21:17

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

/snort

Translation via internet can sometimes REALLY come across wrong. LOL

Thanks Lis!
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 01:35

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

hehe that was funny !

I am due july 4th, but i dont know if anyone is taking anything yet-even though high chance of a c-section for me. I only find out the gender on monday. ..i was one of the 45 million uninsured until last week.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 13:30

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Malishka, How exciting about the ultrasound!!! It is just so amazing to see on the screen.

My friend was uninsured until halfway through hers as well. She said that when she finally got in, the staff treated her a bit odd because she had "waited sooo long" to get checked. She said that her MD was cool, but the medical assistants kinda poo-poo'd her a bit.

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow!!!!! Leet us know what you find out....
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 14:41

BF:

People were kind of poo poo towards me. I live in new york, and originally i wanted to go to New yOrk presbyterian- weill cornell, even though i live in brooklyn because it is supposed to be such a good hospital well anyways, i call around and get transfered over and over and when they find out i am 20 weeks they jus tell me the doctor doesnt take anyone past their first trimester. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Fing annoyed. I mean as if once your out of the 1st trimester you do not need prenatal care. As far as i am concerned not much even happens in the first trimester unless you take all the tests that can give so many false positives
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 15:04

BF:

Most of the MD's at my clinic usually schedual their first OB appt at 12 weeks approx. Because so many end up in MC. That would end up towards the end of the first and the beginning of the second.

My friend found out the reason why the medical assistants were treating her bad/odd. Lets just say they were steriotyping here unfairly. There was no basis in fact to the steriotype.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 15:12

BF:

When i went in to the other hospital that we now go to, they also thought it was a bit odd. What i dont get is WHY anyone thinks its odd, turn on CNN- it is one of the biggest issues in the presidential campaign- healthcare. I would think it is common to be uninsured with 45 million- and not everyone qualifies for state sponsored medicaid programs anyways.

Did everyone hear that story about the Indian lady giving birth on the train toilet and her baby falling down to the tracks because she passed out? (the baby is fine)
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 15:39

BF:

OMG yes I heard of that! I cand believe the little one survived the impact...

There is a story here in oregon that is currently all over the news. A 21yo mother of a 3 year old recently gave birth at work in the toilet. Left the baby there head down in the cold nasty water. Did not tell ANYONE. When one of the nurses where she worked asked here why she did not look pregnant anymore she figured it out and rescued the baby. This girl makes a living taking care of old folks as a nurses aide. Breaks my heart to think of leaving a baby to die head down into a cold nasty toilet. And I have friends waiting for over a year to adopt a baby from vietnam because it is difficult here in the states. Unbelievable..... (the baby lived and is now a ward of the state)
I wonder exactly how long that baby was there while the mom recovered herself, put her pants back on, cleaned up, and attempted to resume her job duties until one of the RN's caught on to her.....

Oh and the steriotype had somthing to do about drug addicted welfare moms. Moms who use drugs wait a while for the drugs to clear and just plain wait a long time to seek care. Also, it takes a while to get on the state run healthcare program. My friend neither uses drugs, nor abuses the system. Her husband makes too much to get state healthcare for her and they are too poor to afford to pay 600 a month.

Last edited by Bandito : Sun, Mar-02-08 at 15:50.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 14:55

BF:

So so, its a girl- no surprise really, thats what were expecting. The ultrasound tech was not giving any gurantees though but form what i read that is normal, she just said that in her professional opinion it looks like a girl- but when we looked at her stuff, it looked like girl stuff anyways.

Afterwards i finally got to go look at strollers- hubby wouldnt let me look at anything because he is paranoid- so after the Level II ultra he felt more relieved so off stroller exploring i went. Originally set on the stokke, which turned out to be FREAKING HUGE!

So, now, we both really loved the Quinny buzz! And it is on sale in that store for 439. I have not been able to find a price anywhere close to that online.

IvannaBFit- tell me any negatives you have had with the Quinny? And what model do you have? I know that there is a new model for 08 in Europe that doesnt require to be locked when folded, it just snaps into place, and can be folded down with the seat facing the parent as well. the 07 model only folds with the seat facing out apparently. But in either case, i really liked the size and features of that stroller.

Edit: Only the floor model was on sale boo! The best deal i could find online for the carseat + buzz is 683 from tiny ride. Anyone have any better ideas?

Last edited by Malishka31 : Tue, Mar-04-08 at 16:20.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 19:01

BF:

Are you really gonna spend that much on a stroller?...... I guess we all have are priorities. I have this stroller
I use it for my daily walks and it is real stable on the road. I love the big bike tires. Also the car seat is pretty nice and easy to use, pops in and out of base easy. Fits in shopping carts well. It manuvers well in the mall, and it pushes effortlessly.

Last edited by Bandito : Tue, Mar-04-08 at 19:36.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 19:38

Plan: ww
Stats: 262/179.4/172 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

I supplemented with formula for my son and used Nestle Good Start DHA/ARA. I am in Canada so I don't know what WIC (or the equivalent in Canada) supplies.

I really liked this formula and it worked great for my son. It was the only one he would drinkk. At almost $30/can i found it to be one of the most expensive and highly regarded as well.

I tried emfamil and similac and one generic brand and he wouldnt touch any of them.

just my experience !
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 22:58

BF:

Well, in terms of the "am i really going to spend that much on a stroller" --- i thought i was insane too but i have justified it enough in my head, so here are my justifications. (and i sold them to the husband so they MUST be true )

We have a really small place ( a studio) so i do not get a nursery, so the very few things i do get should be "nice". We live in a small space, the stroller HAS to fold super compact. I do not have a car, so it can not be a stroller that is good to go from car to mall to home type of deal, it has to pretty much stand on its own. I REALLY want a stroller where the baby faces me. And well, i am 23, and i do want it to be hip and cool and i am the type to go and get an expensive handbag so this is like an accessory. And this is a huge improvment to the original 1200 Xplory i wanted.

Ohh and he is the one that really went nuts for the QUinny Buzzz with those hydrolics, that pretty much really made it manly and cool for him
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 02:31

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malishka31
Well, in terms of the "am i really going to spend that much on a stroller" --- i thought i was insane too but i have justified it enough in my head, so here are my justifications. (and i sold them to the husband so they MUST be true )

We have a really small place ( a studio) so i do not get a nursery, so the very few things i do get should be "nice". We live in a small space, the stroller HAS to fold super compact. I do not have a car, so it can not be a stroller that is good to go from car to mall to home type of deal, it has to pretty much stand on its own. I REALLY want a stroller where the baby faces me. And well, i am 23, and i do want it to be hip and cool and i am the type to go and get an expensive handbag so this is like an accessory. And this is a huge improvment to the original 1200 Xplory i wanted.

Ohh and he is the one that really went nuts for the QUinny Buzzz with those hydrolics, that pretty much really made it manly and cool for him

LOL Perfectly valid reasons! Go get your stroller girl!

Just an idea, my brother has had a LOT of success with getting things off craigs list. I think you said you live in NY. Here is a listing posted 3/1/08....

Reply to: sale-592366323~craigslist.org
Date: 2008-03-01, 3:50PM EST

QUINNY BUZZ BRAND NEW!! - $350

This is a really great deal. The retail price is $549 + tax.. You save over $200. Again this is a brand new never been used stroller. If interested you can contact me at (347) 204-4677 . You can pick it up tonight!!!!!!!!!

It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 592366323

I will just add, if you do something like this, BE SAFE. Meet somewhere public to check it out and make the transaction. There were three other listings under New Yourk City, they also have individual parts of NY you can search, I just did general since I don't know where you are really located.

When I first read your post about price though, I was with bandito. LOL In fact when I think about what I will use. I have this $19 umbrella stroller from 11 years ago that I am thinking with a little foam rubber and a harness instead of just a lap belt......

Last edited by Penweary : Wed, Mar-05-08 at 02:36.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 09:41

BF:

Hubby doesnt trust craigslist. I was even offering to get a used one from ebay b/c they have a purple one but it is an 05.... hubby made this weird little issue out of it "what kind of daddy am i if i can not get her a new stroller" . Um anyone else thing she is going to get super spoiled by daddy?

We didnt talk much about the pregnancy at all until after the Level II ultrasound- so when he comes out of the ultrasound place with me he is discussing what he was thinking once there was the "it's a girl" confirmation- so he said " i just realized that when she marries she takes the guys last name, who the hell is this guy? unworthy!"
I found it amusing he thought this as his FIRST thought.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 12:15

BF:

Well, then you are perfectly justified! I can see that you have different needs/circustances than many of us. My kind of stroller would not be a good choice for you. It does not fold super compact at all. And it is part of a car to stroller travel system which for you would be unecessary.

As far as you convincing your husband that is just not fair! I mean,.... you said the word "HYDROLICS".
It seems that that is a key trigger word to entice men. You might as well said sex ......