Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/260/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*
Hi Kimber (from a fellow Aussie - Perth, WA).

Well done on your weight loss to date. I think it's inspirational.

One of your posts stood out for me where you said "Yummy Pizzas".. One way I got out of eating 'forbidden' foods was not to call them nice things (like yummy). I had to convince myself that I didn't like them.

I just realised the other day (while watching a Domino's ad) that I didn't like the pizza, but was liking the idea of the meatballs on top and interpreted that as craving pizza..

Anyway, you're doing a fantastic job so keep up the great work.

Hi Centa,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, the trick is to stop thinking of everything forbidden as so "yummy" and to get out of the mindset that you're "missing out" on anything! Luckily for me, the thought now of having stuff like pizza or bread or rice or pasta just doesn't turn me on in the slightest .... woo hooo!!

Hey, Perth! That's where I'm off to for this wedding the first week of April. I'm really excited cause I've never been to WA. I grew up in the NT and my partner tells me (he's from Perth) that I'll love WA because it's a lot like the NT. Time will tell! Once I've been to Perth, I'll be able to say I've been to every state in Australia except for Tasmania, so that'll be next on my list!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 10:52
Registered Member

Stats: 401/401/200 Male 72 inches
BF:mucho
Progress: 0%

Just dropping by to say hi.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 04:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgregm69
Just dropping by to say hi.

Hi to you Jgregm69!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 09:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214.8/202.2/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 23%

I like your idea of pictures, you should definitely do it. I am going to find something that barely fits me today and take a pic! How long should I wait to take another? I think 6 weeks (because i am impatient!)
I also measured myself (not fun) weighed myself (really not fun) and will buy ketone strips later. I like all the "cheerleaders" I can get!
Best Wishes!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 16:04

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Kimber, you are doing really well with the weight loss. Hang in there, the lethargy will go away. Things that helped me with lethargy were extra vit C and calcium, coconut oil (asian import stores) in my coffee, exercise and lots of water.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sooooo discouraged!

Well, I don't know what I'm doing wrong here but obviously I must be doing something wrong! I haven't lost any weight now for .... ages, can't remember the last time I lost. The scale has been resolutely sitting at the same weight but yesterday morning I weighed myself and I've put on a kilo!!! I've just weighed myself again now and the scales are sitting at the same with-extra-put-back-on-kilo weight.

I've basically been on Induction since I started on the diet, living on eggs and meat. On Saturday night I ended up having two slices of a frozen pizza (cooked of course, not still frozen ) which I estimated to have been about 40 grams of carb so I figured that would still be okay. I've also been having some wine a few nights a week. I know that alcohol is not good because even though it's low carb, your body will burn the alcohol as fuel rather than fat.

But still!!! I was hoping I would have lost a lot more weight by now. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Has anyone else ever had this happen and what do I do??? My other thought was that maybe I should start exercising now as that will hopefully help. My job is sedentary so I thought maybe the level of carbs I'm at now and the level of low activity have finally hit the perfect balance so my body is just going to maintain at this weight if I don't move more, even though I'm having no carbs.

Something else I've noticed too is that I just don't need to go "Number 2s" at all. Last week I tried some laxatives which just ended up making me feel sick and gave me stomach cramps. I almost felt as if the laxatives were trying to do their job but there was nothing there for them to do their job on ... although that can't be right! All this meat and eggs has to go somewhere, I figure.

XOX
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:57
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Actually, the meat and egg don't have to go somewhere, they are pretty nutritionally dense foods, there isn't going to be much waste from them. I find my bowel movements reduce in volume a great deal when I'm very low carb.

You are at a crossroads here. You are trying to lose well over 100 lbs, I can guarantee you it won't come off in 2-3 lb increments every week. You will have days (and even weeks) where you bounce back up over a low weight and then it takes a while to go back down. It's just the way it happens. This will work, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. You need to be able to ride out the tough spots.

And if you are up a kilo, it's probably your pizza. The water retention from carbs will stay with you for a few days. Give it time.

I know you said you wanted to lose another 15 lbs in March, but honestly, you'll be lucky to lose 10. Weight loss just is not that fast. In particular the second month can be slow because you body is playing catchup after a phenomenal loss the first month.

It's too early to worry about your body hitting that perfect balance of food in and energy out, it may happen, but I doubt it's happening yet. Just keep eating low carb, it will start to shift.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 23:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Actually, the meat and egg don't have to go somewhere, they are pretty nutritionally dense foods, there isn't going to be much waste from them. I find my bowel movements reduce in volume a great deal when I'm very low carb.

You are at a crossroads here. You are trying to lose well over 100 lbs, I can guarantee you it won't come off in 2-3 lb increments every week. You will have days (and even weeks) where you bounce back up over a low weight and then it takes a while to go back down. It's just the way it happens. This will work, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. You need to be able to ride out the tough spots.

And if you are up a kilo, it's probably your pizza. The water retention from carbs will stay with you for a few days. Give it time.

I know you said you wanted to lose another 15 lbs in March, but honestly, you'll be lucky to lose 10. Weight loss just is not that fast. In particular the second month can be slow because you body is playing catchup after a phenomenal loss the first month.

It's too early to worry about your body hitting that perfect balance of food in and energy out, it may happen, but I doubt it's happening yet. Just keep eating low carb, it will start to shift.

Thanks for that, Valerie ... you've made me feel a lot calmer!

You know, come to think of it, the last couple of days my feet and ankles have been puffy (which I usually lose when I'm on low carb) so maybe that is still the fluid retention from the pizza. Okay, lesson learned: NO MORE PIZZA!!!

I notice from your stats that you're at your goal weight ... congratulations! I figure you must have gone through the same issues when you were losing, so I'm happy to take your advice and just keep on keeping on!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 00:27
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

We all feel low...sometimes; but it's truly about what you believe.

You will enjoy the insightfullness of the forum participatants. And we will enjoy yours!!!

It's good to have you!
Stick with it and you won't be dissapointed.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 03:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelskinny
We all feel low...sometimes; but it's truly about what you believe.

You will enjoy the insightfullness of the forum participatants. And we will enjoy yours!!!

It's good to have you!
Stick with it and you won't be dissapointed.

Hi Feelskinny!

Thanks for your lovely message. I'm so glad to be dieting in this day and age with things like forums for support! How did we ever survive a diet before??!

I'm feeling a lot better since reading Valerie's message before. I guess I'm just feeling a bit cheated because this is the longest I've ever stuck to a "diet" (I know, way of life ) without even wanting to give it up because I am so determined to get rid of this blubber! So I guess I was expecting my body to follow through on my willpower's decision and just hurry up and do the right thing by me cause I'm being so determined!

I need to work my way around the forum more and check out people's journals, etc. From what I've seen so far, everyone here seems absolutely lovely.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 07:31
Registered Member

Stats: 401/401/200 Male 72 inches
BF:mucho
Progress: 0%

Hi Kimber, how's life. Don't trip if you don't lose every week. Stick to your plan and good things will happen. Take care. Greg in sunny California.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 11:12

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi Kimber, Your body probably is loosing fat with as much determination as you are, you just can't see it yet. I'm just now whooshing down after five weeks of pingponging the same two kilos back and forth. What tipped me off was body measurements... they are always trending down, even when my scale says I've put on 2.5 kilos of water in one night. What the hell? I'm much saner after measuring (tip: write down the sum of your measurements. the sum of your measurements can shrink on a daily basis) than I am after stepping on the scale.

Hang in there, it will come off faster than you realize, especially if you are good to yourself. Treat yourself to great salads, great steaks, olives, find stuff that makes you feel good.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 05:02
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgregm69
Hi Kimber, how's life. Don't trip if you don't lose every week. Stick to your plan and good things will happen. Take care. Greg in sunny California.

Hi Greg all the way over there in sunny California! I just popped over and had a read of your journal. You're doing really well from what I can see ... way to go!

Luckily I've lost that kilo that had managed to sneak back on as of this morning, so I'm hoping I'm back on track. Actually, you sounded a bit like me in your journal! I've been meaning to start a walking program for the few weeks now but it's been *......* (insert pathetic excuse here like too hot, too cold, too rainy, too sunny), or I've been *......* (insert pathetic excuse here too tired, too flu-ey, too busy). I really have to get moving though I've decided. I joined up at a gym in March last year and went for two weeks!! In the meantime they're still deducting the $20 a week from my bank account ... ha ha ha!! The world's fattest most loyal contributor to a gym's bank account.

Anyway, good luck with your walking and weight loss! I'll keep an eye on your journal!
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 05:09
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredFedUP
Hi Kimber, Your body probably is loosing fat with as much determination as you are, you just can't see it yet. I'm just now whooshing down after five weeks of pingponging the same two kilos back and forth. What tipped me off was body measurements... they are always trending down, even when my scale says I've put on 2.5 kilos of water in one night. What the hell? I'm much saner after measuring (tip: write down the sum of your measurements. the sum of your measurements can shrink on a daily basis) than I am after stepping on the scale.

Hang in there, it will come off faster than you realize, especially if you are good to yourself. Treat yourself to great salads, great steaks, olives, find stuff that makes you feel good.

Ha ha ... what a great username! Kind of sums it all up sometimes, doesn't it?

Hmmm, maybe I should try measurements instead. I've managed to shift the pesky kilo that had snuck back on, but I feel like my pants are looser than the other day too ... god, I hope they are!! I'm hoping I may have just had a slow week on the scales while my body readjusted and that now I'm about to go headlong into losing a bit more!!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-08, 06:12

Plan: SB then Atkins
Stats: 242/226/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Kimber

I've just read your update and I could've written it myself! After a flying start I just seem to have ground to a halt over the past two weeks, bouncing up and down 2lb and I have definitely noticed the number 2 sitution!!!! I know its really hard but stick with it - hopefully we'll join TiredFedUp and be on a whoosh before long. I've laid off the excercise the past few weeks (my excuse is the weather being cold, rainy, and staying late at work lol) though which may be contributing to not shifting much so I'm back on that - maybe you can do some walking or something even if you don't feel like going the gym?

xx