Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-08, 09:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Actually studies have shown that eating Carbs reduces stress and makes us feel better.

Yeah, like marijuana or a number of other drugs.

Gluten (gliadin) and casein are proteins that is digested into a peptide that resembles opiods and will bind to those receptors. As far as I'm aware of, everyone digests those proteins into the same peptides.

We have those opiod receptors all over the body including in the intestines. But those peptides are very small and they readily slip out of the intestines into the blood supply. In everyone as far as I know.

In people with celiac disease (perhaps gluten sensitivity too, don't think it has been studied) the barrier between the gut and the rest of the body becomes very leaky. Gliadin actually causes these little gates called "tight junctions" to open and all kinds of nasty things can cross over. Many researchers think this is the where autoimmune diseases start, when stuff from the gut invades the blood supply and the immune system reacts.

These TJ's are opened by a hormone called Zonulin, which comes about when you have food poisoning or eat gluten (maybe casein, dunno). Surprisingly this reaction happens in EVERYONE, whether you're celiac or not. But in celiacs they get stuck open.

It's probably in The Gluten File (in my signature) if you want to read more.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 03:57

Plan: Bernstein (Guided)
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songwriter
Surprised by this thread. I sure figured the skyrocketing rate of adult-onset diabetes is caused by a high-carb diet.

There is a correlation between a high carb diet and diagnosis rates of Type 2 Diabetes, but a correlation just means that two things are going on at the same time, it does not indicate that one is the cause of the other.

Also, the term "adult onset" is not very accurate, since MODY and LADA Diabetes are also frequently diagnosed during adulthood, but are not the same disease as Type 2, so to use the phrase "adult onset" is in fact to talk about several different forms. Since the knowledge of these two forms of the disease is not universal to doctors, there is a possibility that a significant number of people who are diagnosed and believe they are Type 2 in fact have MODY or LADA.

In terms of the possible cause of rising diagnosis rates of Type 2, I can see other correlations, including environmental pollutants, stress in the lifestyle, access to modern healthcare...there would be more of I thought harder. My point is, a high carb diet is not the only thing that correlates to high rates of diagnosis of Type 2.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 07:44

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Correlation from Webster:
" the state or relation of being correlated ; specifically : a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone"
Eddie
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 09:06
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songwriter
Surprised by this thread. I sure figured the skyrocketing rate of adult-onset diabetes is caused by a high-carb diet.

It depends on who you ask. We'd been debating this in the War Zone a bit.

I just read the incidence of diabetes has increased 90% in the last 10 years. Zowie!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 11:25

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
Correlation from Webster:
" the state or relation of being correlated ; specifically : a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone"
Eddie

From what I can make out of this, a correlation would therefore indicate that there is a connection between to things, since it involves a higher rate of simultaneous occurrence than chance would cover, but I cannot work out if your point is that it does or does not consitute proof of a causal relationship.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 11:45

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

it does or does not prove a causal relationship.

That is a separate question, calling for a separate investigation, or study.

Some times we guess that causation is likely, as I did taking statin drugs and a 1/4 aspirin. I was wrong, and may have suffered serious side effects
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 12:24

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I just read the incidence of diabetes has increased 90% in the last 10 years. Zowie!

Nancy, where did you read that...can you post a link to it? I would like to see how they came up with the figure.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 12:29

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Some times we guess that causation is likely, as I did taking statin drugs and a 1/4 aspirin. I was wrong, and may have suffered serious side effects

This is why I prefer actual science based information rather than guesses based on statistics. I know there are elements of medicine that are art, not science, I just do not think maths and biology are suitable places to start getting artistic. Newspapers tend to like panic, it sells newspapers, doctors tend to hate it, because it causes health problems....
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 13:14
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
Nancy, where did you read that...can you post a link to it? I would like to see how they came up with the figure.

It was on the scrolling text under a news broadcast I was watching, unfortunately I can't link to it. I haven't tried finding it on the Internet yet.

Aw heck, didn't take much searching. However this says the incidence doubled, therefore that'd be 100% rather than 90%:
http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/A..._10_years.shtml
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 218/199/189 Male 74"
BF:
Progress: 66%

It was front page news in my newspaper... said diabetes rates doubled in the past ten years. That's staggering.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-08, 17:21

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCo
This is why I prefer actual science based information rather than guesses based on statistics. I know there are elements of medicine that are art, not science, I just do not think maths and biology are suitable places to start getting artistic. Newspapers tend to like panic, it sells newspapers, doctors tend to hate it, because it causes health problems....

Much of the time there is no 'science' available.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-08, 04:01

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Much of the time there is no 'science' available.

Yes, that is the part I would personally really like to see solved.