Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 17:21
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

You know what's weird is that I totally read about that happening...I fully expected it...but I haven't noticed it yet. What was weird is that it was before...I can't remember now if it was before getting pregnant or early on. But anyhow, I haven't noticed a major shift in that way. HOWEVER, from everything I've read it's totally common...not that it makes you feel better!

As far as BFing, I think it's fantastic that you went as long as you have. I know it'll be tough, but you can be happy with what you did accomplish. I did it for 1 week and I'm proud of what I gave him. And he's definitely thriving. So glad to see you doing well, you know despite a little thinning 'do!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 14:55

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 165/129/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 103%

I started losing hair when my son was three months old. That's primarily why I cut off 8 inches of hair! I'm still constantly checking the little guys fingers, toes and neck for stray hairs. From what I understand the hair loss can be from the stress you body went through, drops in hormone levels and from losing weight.

I had hair loss just as bad with my other two children, unfortunately I can't recall at what point it stopped.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 15:13

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Lisa, Ian looks soo cute in his Giant's outfit! My dh was glad they won.

I have lost hair after each child, sigh. I already have fine hair so I did not like it at all. At least it is only temporary. Usually I really notice it at 4 months after birth.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 15:27

BF:
Default Alicia day 2

I just posted a picture of Alicia on her second day. Hopefully dh will get more pics soon. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=98437
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 16:27
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts
I just posted a picture of Alicia on her second day. Hopefully dh will get more pics soon. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...imageuser=98437

Oh my goodness...look at those red lips. She's just precious!! Keep posting
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 02:11

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts

Algts, Just beautiful!!! I can't WAIT!
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 12:41

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hey all, checking in again.

I have lost 26lbs since the 29th. WOW! I did have pregnancy induced hypertension that casued me to retain some extra water. Not sure if it is the water coming off or the BFing.

As far as BFing is concerned, I am doing OK. My nipples are not. Think cheese grater with scabs. Now THAT is painful. She is biting me. I literally scream an swear loudly every time she latches on, then i start to bawl. It was everything that I could do not to rip her off and throw her. Saw a lactation consultant yesterday and was given some special gel dressing for my wounds. I have been pumping to give the nipples a break. I did BF this morning, and she did much better. she likes BFing better than the bottle. I am having a problem (if you can callit that) with OVER PRODUCTION. Makes me feel like a cow. MMOOOO......

She left the hospital at 6lbs 12oz, and now 6 days later she is 7lbs 9.8 oz.

She has been a REAL easy baby otherwise (gory nipples). She is such a little blessing.

As for me, I now cry about everything. Very frustrating for me. I am not usually a big bawl baby.

Oh and about the hair. It is totally normal to loose a bunch of hair after you have a baby. You do not loose as much hair during pregnancy due to hormones and such. After pregnancy, you loose a bunch, but you are supposed to end up with what you would have had if you were never pregnant. All the hairs that would have fallen out during pregnancy that didnt, now all fall out. Making it seem like a lot all at once. Meanwhile you have not noticed during pregnancy that your hair was getting thicker.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: Getting back on Atkins
Stats: 185.5/185.5/150 Female 63 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yeah I had the "normal" post-baby hair loss going on since about 5 weeks post..then the dramatic started at about 3 months and my hair line has receded at the temples. That's when I started to worry a bit about it. It seems to be a bit better since I got back on the wagon with the low carb diet.

Ah the scabby nipples. I almost gave up when I got those. I was in tears when she'd latch on and she had a very good by-the-book latch. After she nursed for a minute or two the pain and stinging would subside for the most part, I just had to gut through the first minute or two. There were times I just had to take her off, take a minute and gather up the courage to put her on again. After about 6 weeks it was like a switch flipped and the boobs healed and I didn't have anymore pain. I remember the first time I put her on and it didn't hurt...I did a little dance. I found just a little bit of breastmilk left on to air dry or lanisoh ointment helped keep them from getting chapped so much.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 16:47
Taking MY Turn

BF:

I was about to suggest the air drying and Lansinoh too. So let me ask WHY everyone on the planet ('cept you two) kept telling me I was doing it WRONG because it was so painful I cried? Huh? I know my own body and it was so excruciating it really did take that courage to keep putting him back on. Instead of saying this was normal and I should hang on everyone kept telling me I was doing it wrong. But honestly I was under so much stress that it really was best to move on from the BFing. It's just good (and ironic and a little annoying) to see you both went through the same thing...I teared up again just thinking about it.

BTW, I just updated my journal with talk about eating better again. I'm hoping it makes a difference. I know I should feel better at least and that counts for a lot.

And as long as we're talking about personal stuff here...

After week 2 my lochia subsided completely and went to regular discharge. I was so excited. Now as we hit week 5 today suddenly I see bright red blood (was pink yesterday). I'm confused but I've also been much more active. Plus it's been a month since giving birth too. Any thoughts? Is it just a sign I'm overdoing it (wouldn't be surpirsed) or could it be a light period? It's so tough to tell. A few days ago I kept thinking I was PMSing but then again I'm stressed out for lots of reasons as I'm sure you understand. It could really be anything causing this at this point...
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 16:57

BF:

At 16 days, I am just feeling less sore with breasfeeding. It was very painful and has been for each of my 5 children. When the second was born, the first was still nursing (quit after baby was born), and even then, I was still sore. Maybe it's because babies have incredible sucking power!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 05:13

Plan: Knocked up
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 173%

Oh Lisa!! ACK! Welcome back to menstruation! I had a friend who started at 4 weeks after delivery. I don't think it is anything to worry about other than that.

Boooo! You would think after all we go through we'd get a 6 month pass or something.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 06:26
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Yeah, I had excruciating nipple pain/scabs the first few weeks of nursing each of my 3. Lanolin gel REALLY helped.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 13:33

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

The gel dressing that the lactation consultant gave me have helped a ton. They are almost all heald now except they are still sore. The new pink skin that came in underneath the wounds appears to me more durable and calloused.

Never thought I wound be happy to have calloused nipples. lol...

have been pumping while healing feeding on the breast 2-3 times a day. Today was the first day that I was not in a huge amount of pain. YESSSSS! I will try a couple more times today, hopfully with the same results.

I will switch over to the lanolin after the life on the gel dressing is over. I was using the lanolin when this whole mess started in the beginning. Seems that I just needed to go through this so that they would toughen up a bit.

Seems that mine is not an isolated experience. I find it very re-assuring that I am not the only one that got to that point. I plan on breast feeding future children too so thanks for the heads up about it happening again with subsequent babies. You think that mother nature would make it a bit easier on us where this is concerned. Not very conducive to survival of the species.......
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 14:08
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Congrats on the progress, Kristie. That's awesome. You know my bff (I feel like such a teenager writing that, heh, but it keeps you from being confused with our abbrev for breast feeding) was just saying how pregnancy #2 has been worse for her and she'd figured it'd be better because your body knows what to do! Go figure! I don't know if I'm going to have another child, but this information is always helpful. BTW, are you going to change the ticker in your signature line?

Not to change up the topic so it's all about ME, haha, but I'd mentioned something about bleeding again and I'm starting to think I have my period. I'll grant you it probably wouldn't apply to any of you because BF keeps that from happening. So I guess if anyone who HASN'T BFed has any experience with this, I'd like to know. I had lochia the first two weeks and it dissipated into regular discharge...3 weeks following (2 full for sure) I'm bleeding full force again and this after feeling completely healed. So I'm thinking I'm back to "normal" HA! I know Penny agrees. Anyone else have experience with this or know someone who has?
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/136/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

It sounds like you're back to normal Lisa-I know the "average" amount of time for that to happen is supposed to be anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months.

I can't remember how long it took me with my other 2 but I wish I could......I haven't gotten a TOM and for the first time in my life I want one-because I will be very sad if it doesn't come, if you know what I mean.