Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 08:49

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I have to admit I don't measure when I cook.
My Granny taught me to cook at a very early age. I strarted cooking when I was 4.

I would stand on chair at her stove and help her stir soup and flip bacon. Also mix up cookies, cakes too.
This wonderful lady was from Kentucky and only had a 3rd grade education. She couldn't read cursive writing only very simple printing. But she could cook and she didn't measure anything for her recipies. She used a tea cup and regular spoons to measure with. And just did a spoon of this, a cup of that.

Her thinking was just sprinkle over the top of a pot of soup so the whole area was covered that would be enough of the spice. Then mix it in and sprinkle the rest one at time and mix in. So this is what I do with my meatloaf I use a big bowl to mix in, and sprinkle over the top of my meat, mix it in then add the next spice.

So I'll try here is my meatloaf......
1.5 lbs grd meat (I use lean beef and vinson mix)
2 eggs beaten then add to meat
3 Tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1/2 med onion diced
about 1 Tablespoon italian seasons (I have dry mix in a shaker)
lite sprinkle of cayenne pepper
good sprinkle of black pepper

Mix well put in a loaf pan....4 6oz servings
Bake 350* about 45 min to 1 hour

I don't use much salt in my cooking as I have high bp. But I use sauces that have salt in them like the worcestershire.

I've also added chopped mushrooms, to my meatloaf. (I grate them in the food processor) You can add gr peppers too what ever you like.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 08:56
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thank you Renee and Skippie! Am going to try your meatloaf soon. LOVED your description of cooking with your grandmother. Sounds like it was really special!!!
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 07:09

From allrecipes.com
This sounds really good might give it a try this weekend.
You can sign up for a free newsletter from this site too. Thought I'd just share this you all.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fusion...=1384&ARFMTID=2

Fusion ChickenA tantalizing mixture of flavors where cilantro meets nutmeg.

For a variation, serve over cooked rice or burrito-style, wrapped with rice inside warmed tortillas.

Prep Time: 15 MinutesCook Time: 12 MinutesReady In: 27 Minutes
Makes: 4 servingsSubmitted By: Lauren

Ingredients2 tablespoons olive oil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 small onion, chopped
2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 cup mild green tomatillo salsa

Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken strips in the skillet, and sprinkle with the red wine vinegar. Season with 1/2 the pepper, 1/2 the oregano, 1/2 the garlic powder, and 1/2 the nutmeg. Cook 5 minutes, turn, and season with remaining pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and nutmeg.
2. Place the cilantro, onion, and apples over the chicken in the skillet. Cover, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and apples are slightly tender.
3. Place the tomatillo salsa in a bowl, and cook in the microwave 2 minutes on High, or until heated through. Serve over the cooked chicken and apples.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 265

Total Fat: 10.8g
Cholesterol: 72mg
Sodium: 115mg
Total Carbs: 14.5g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3g
Protein: 26.9g

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tomati...=1384&ARFMTID=2

• Tomatillo Salsa Verde

• 1 pound tomatillos, husked
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 1 serrano chile peppers, minced
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
• 2 cups water
DIRECTIONS
1. Place tomatillos, onion, garlic, and chile pepper into a saucepan. Season with cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt; pour in water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the tomatillos are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Using a blender, carefully puree the tomatillos and water in batches until smooth.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 24
• Total Fat: 0.6g
• Cholesterol: 0mg
• Sodium: 439mg
• Total Carbs: 4.5g
• Dietary Fiber: 1.4g
• Protein: 0.8g
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 07:10

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Healt...-Free/Main.aspx

There are some great idea's on this link.

TACO SEASONING
INGREDIENTS
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
DIRECTIONS
1. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 5
• Total Fat: 0.2g
• Cholesterol: 0mg
• Sodium: 239mg
• Total Carbs: 0.9g
• Dietary Fiber: 0.4g
• Protein: 0.2g
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 08:07
one day at a time

BF:

Quote:
where cilantro meets nutmeg
This sounds like a romantic comedy description! Thanks for sharing, Skippie--it looks yummy! I'm adding it to my recipe list to try.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 18:37
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/135 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just got back from Borders and they had a number of pretty good looking Low Carb cookbooks on the bargain rack. I picked one up from Better Homes and Gardens with menus and recipes with all the carb amounts. They look healthy and easy and only $5.00!
I like perusing cookbooks for ideas even if I don't make the recipe per se.

Having Broccoli Beef stir fry tonight
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 08:40
one day at a time

BF:

How is everyone doing today? Anybody have a nice South Beach story to share???

Hi Iris: Nice score on the cookbooks! And...now I want to have broccoli beef stir fry. Do you use a wok or make it on the stove?
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 16:36

TGIF Everyone,
Hope you all are enjoying the start to your weekend.

Judy stated that she doesn't use her oven. And I know others that live in very warm area's that don't use their ovens often.

So I had a brain storm that you could make the meatloaf into patties and grill.

Then I was looking thru my cookbooks and in my crock pot one was recipes for meatloaf cooked in a crockpot. The key to using the crock pot is not to lift the lid as it lets out most of the heat. So it would take longer to cook the more you peek.

Have a great weekend.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-08, 22:10
Registered Member

Stats: 170/170/135 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras
How is everyone doing today? Anybody have a nice South Beach story to share???

Hi Iris: Nice score on the cookbooks! And...now I want to have broccoli beef stir fry. Do you use a wok or make it on the stove?

I use a wok but you can use any nonstick pan or well-seasoned cast iron, I've used them all.

I love stir-fry, you can adapt so well to this SB way of eating. Mix up the proteins, the veggies and the sauce and you have a completely new dish. For me the spicier the better

I think I'm making mu shu pork tomorrow (without the pancakes for me, just as good with lettuce wraps)
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:12

Plan: Controlling the Carbs
Stats: 282/197.5/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I'm so inspired by the wonderfulness of South Beach ~ am starting this thread in case anyone else wants to chat about how it's making a difference in their lives. Or just SoBe stuff in general!

Am astonished at how much better I'm feeling already (and I'm only on week two of Phase I after switching over to the beach). Am also shocked to believe I could actually live this way forever and not miss a thing.

Would love to hear anything on your mind re: South Beach!

Cheers,
Sass

Sass I totally feel the same way, I read the entire book and I got so excited to think of how healthy, flexible and "normal" this plan seems. Today is my first day on Phase 1 and I can't wait to start the next day and the day after that etc.....

I tried SB 3 yrs ago right before getting pregnant and can not figure out for the life of me why I never thought to go back on it, but I'm glad I blew the dust off my book and giving it another go at it.

For me this plan seems like you can do it for life not a quick fix diet, SB feels BALANCED!!!!

More then that I am so happy that I can share my experience with others who are on the Beach with me!!!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:13
one day at a time

BF:

Hi KB! Welcome to our little chat thread! Very, very happy to hear your excitement...we can do this together!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-boogie
Sass I totally feel the same way, I read the entire book and I got so excited to think of how healthy, flexible and "normal" this plan seems. Today is my first day on Phase 1 and I can't wait to start the next day and the day after that etc.....

I tried SB 3 yrs ago right before getting pregnant and can not figure out for the life of me why I never thought to go back on it, but I'm glad I blew the dust off my book and giving it another go at it.

For me this plan seems like you can do it for life not a quick fix diet, SB feels BALANCED!!!!

More then that I am so happy that I can share my experience with others who are on the Beach with me!!!

Hey k-boogie!!

I'm glad to have you join us here on the beach too!!
I have to admit though, that when I first read the book, I was totally confused and didn't know what the heck I was doing!! Suffice it to say that I screwed up a lot at first!!

When I found the meal plan charts and food lists at the SBD web site, it all became clear to me and made it so much easier to learn the plan.

I wish you much success!!
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:29

BF:

Quote:
How's everyone doing this week?

Have to say, I just had the BEST beach dinner so far: Pan-Fried Parmesan Chicken and Steamed Broccoli (with a sprinkling of lf cheddar on top). Yummmmmmm.

OMG!! Sass I made pan fried parmesan chicken yesterday I LOVE IT!!!!
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hey k-boogie!!

I'm glad to have you join us here on the beach too!!
I have to admit though, that when I first read the book, I was totally confused and didn't know what the heck I was doing!! Suffice it to say that I screwed up a lot at first!!

When I found the meal plan charts and food lists at the SBD web site, it all became clear to me and made it so much easier to learn the plan.

I wish you much success!!

Thanks Judy as you can tell I am very excited about being on the beach, now question. You mentioned the website was better for you then the book. I went on www.southbeachdiet.com is this the right one? I'm not seeing the meal plan charts and food list. Do I have to pay first and become a member?
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 11:34
one day at a time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-boogie
OMG!! Sass I made pan fried parmesan chicken yesterday I LOVE IT!!!!
Isn't it incredible???

Judy will give you the scoop on the official site, but I'll just do a quick response: yes, that's it and you do have to pay to belong (it's $5 per week and they charge it in quarters, so you pay $65 upfront and then can renew later). I keep going back and forth on whether I want to rejoin--seems like all I really want there are the recipes and success stories!

Last edited by sassafras : Sat, Jan-26-08 at 11:40.