Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 19:40
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

How's everyone doing this week?

Have to say, I just had the BEST beach dinner so far: Pan-Fried Parmesan Chicken and Steamed Broccoli (with a sprinkling of lf cheddar on top). Yummmmmmm.

Got me wondering...what are your favorite dinners? (I have been browsing the recipe thread and busily downloading to try things, but would love to hear what your faves are.)

Hope you're all doing really well!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 20:19

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

We have SNOW! Didn't think I would ever have to deal with the white stuff again when we moved back from MI. Thank god it isn't going to stick

One of my favorite dishes to make is eggplant parm. I don't make it often though, because I love it really cheesy and I try to limit my cheese intake. It's a very easy recipe though; saute some eggplant slices (sometime I cut it into 1 in cubes to make it easier) w/ onion/garlic, layer it with a nice red sauce, parm. cheese and mozz., pop it in the oven until it's all bubbly and gooey..Mmmmm Delish! Even the kids love it I usually have it as the main dish w/ a salad, but sometimes I serve it as a side with chicken.

Hope everyone's staying warm and toasty!
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 20:40

Stats: 375/309/185 Female 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Honestly im a simple girl....My favorites are:
-A really good juicy burger grilled, with a slice of onion and tomato, and a salad with lots of veggies and ranch dressing.

-A really good grilled Tbone steak, roasted veggies, and maybe a small salad.

Im a beef girl i know.... but i grew up on a farm, eating "good meat" and that is part of why this woe works for me.... I can eat my meat. YUM! and lose weight. In fact last night when i was eating my yummy sautee'd veggies, and my husband was eating a boring ole baked potato with butter/sourcream, i thought WOW this has SO MUCH MORE FLAVOR... what did i ever see in potatoes?
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 23:35
one day at a time

BF:

Renee and Camelle:

May I just say YUMMMMMMMM? Thank you for those ideas! Will be adding them to next week's shopping list. Oh, and let me know if you want the Parmesan Chicken recipe--it's so very easy and good.

Renee, stay warm!!! And Camelle: I feel exactly the same way about potatoes now...used to be, I'd be all hepped up about getting french fries at a restaurant. Now, even if I make them for the kids, I don't even want one.

Oh, which reminds me. Do you all like the Sweet Potato Fries?
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 03:50

BF:

Renee... i love the sweet potato fries (and Rachel Ray just made some on FoodTv the other night.... so i need to go find her recipe... she used some spices a bit differently than I have). I'm a ways from adding sweet potatoes back though... so that will have to wait, for now.

And yes... I'd love the parm chicken recipe. You should post it on the recipe page, so it can get "added" thanks!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 06:41

BF:

I've only made the sweet potato fries a couple of times. The kids like them, but they seem a little bland to me w/ just s/p. Usually s/p is all I need to enjoy a veggie, but for some reason these seem to need something more...what "more" though, I have no idea. I've looked online for recipes, but none of them really caught my attention.
For everyone who makes them, what types of seasonings do you use?
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 07:21

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

I have to say my fav meal would be steak too, Porterhouse.
My dad worked at a meat processing plant for a long time. And my grandparents always had a couple of beef cows each year. So I grew up having wonderful cuts of meat.

Now I've learned to enjoy leaner cuts of meat too. Sirlion has become my SB fav now. I use lots of spices for a rub on my meat. Garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper (lite sprinkle), very little salt. I use this rub on pork, chix most anything I grill.

As for spices try a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, and salt on your sweet potato fries. Just a bit of spicy with the sweet, salty. I haven't made these for a while but I bake/broil my in the oven. Don't deep fry anything now. Just spray the potato slices lightly with pam spray and bake. Add the seansoning when cooked.

I use garlic in everything I cook either powder or cloves. I like garlic and onions.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 09:39
one day at a time

BF:

Oh, this is a good conversation. Thanks, all, for your contributions.

Need advice: I found a LC recipe that looks supereasy (which is key for the nonchef like me) and wondered if it would be SoBe-friendly? Ingredients look Phase I friendly (except is it too much cream cheese)?

Cream Cheese Meatloaf-Low Carb
serves 6

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
1 (8 oz) package light cream cheese
2 eggs
1 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Mix all ingredients together and put in loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hr and 15 minutes.

Last edited by sassafras : Thu, Jan-17-08 at 09:45.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 11:59

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Sure it would be ok for phase 1. Depending on what else you had to eat that day as for the dairy/fat count for the cream cheese. Just be sure to keep track of you meals before dinner.
If you are worried about the cheese content why not use 1/2 the amount???
Not sure why there is cr chez in a meatloaf?? I just use meat, eggs, onion, and spices in mine.

Just be sure to eat the serving size. It says 6 servings which would be 4oz each.

If you make this be sure to let us know how it tasted.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 13:49

BF:

Look here for lots of sweet potato fries recipes.... (if the link doesn't work, go to www.foodtv.com and under recipe search, search sweet potato fries)

http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/...archType=Recipe
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 15:58
one day at a time

BF:

Thanks, y'all, for the help and companionship!!!!
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 10:54

BF:

Skippie, I like the idea of adding a touch of cayenne pepper to the potatoes. Once my throat is better I'm going to give it a try.

Camelle, wow, lots of recipes there! Thanks!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 08:35
one day at a time

BF:

So...are we allowed to make revolution rolls on SoBe? Looks like the ingredients are SoBe friendly, and it would be nice to have a sandwich sometime early on here (since I'm waiting until onederland to add grains). Here's the recipe, could you please give me some feedback?

Original Revolution Rolls

Ingredients:
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 Tablespoons cottage cheese (or 3 1/2 tbsp ricotta)
2 packets Splenda

Preheat oven to 300°F.

Separate eggs very carefully (make sure NONE of the yolk gets into the white.) Spray PAM on a Teflon cookie sheet. Use an electric beater to beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (but not dry).

Mix egg yolks, cottage cheese and Splenda in separate bowl. Fold yolk-mixture carefully into egg whites being sure not to break down fragile whites — mix no longer than 1 minute.

Place the mixture carefully on the cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon on top of another until it is two (2) inches in height. Repeat until you have 6 little "pillows." Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 35-55 minutes (depending on your firmness preference.)

Makes 6 rolls. 1 net gram of carbohydrate per serving

---------------------------------
OR...and I'm leaning toward this one...
Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6~ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

Last edited by sassafras : Tue, Jan-22-08 at 08:51.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 08:38
one day at a time

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippie
Not sure why there is cr chez in a meatloaf?? I just use meat, eggs, onion, and spices in mine.

Skippie, did you post your meatloaf recipe somewhere? I'd love to see it. Yeah, I'm not sure why there is cream cheese in meatloaf, either, but it sounded decadent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, how is everyone doing this week????
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 08:50

BF:
Default Rev Rolls

The ingredients look fine, Sass. I'd make sure to count the cottage cheese/ricotta towards your dairy totals for the day though. So, go ahead and give them a try and let us know how they turned out