Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-07, 22:18

Plan: BFing Diet/Atkins
Stats: 290/280/160 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 8%

I conceived while on a induction level low carb. I lost 30 lbs from Sept 12 through Dec 10th. Then, last week I started to feel bloated and a few pounds came back on despite my way of eating. Lo and behold...I am pregnant. I don't think it was dangerous at all to be low carb while trying. Now that I am pregnant, I am going to move up to the maintenance level of the plan so that I can give my baby all the nutrients he/she will need, but not pile on the pounds during the pregnancy. I have a lot more research to do before I will have my plan perfected, but I am excited about staying mostly low carb with the occasional indulgence as my cravings demand.

Lots of good advice on here from others who have been doing this alot longer than me, I am looking forward to hearing more of their sage words.

Best of luck to you. My suggestion is just focus on your health and you will get pregnant. When I stopped counting the days and months is when it happened for us.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 07:49
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy39
Do you think I should go back on low carb even while trying to conceive? Do you think it is really harmful for the baby? I am just very confused at what to do myself.

I personally think there is no better way to conceive than when your body is healthy...and for ME...LCing was it. (I am a believer in PPLP but that's just my specific angle.) I lost most of the same weight I ended up putting back on during pregnancy, I was very healthy (the healthiest I'd been in years) and very strong (from weight training and regular resistance exercise and cardio) and feeling wonderful. I'll admit that since my second trimester my cravings for sugar got the best of me, but I'm proud that I held strong to my beliefs in what was good for my body while TTC and in the first trimester.

To be honest, I think the best thing you can do for yourself now is make sure you have good multi-vites and enough folic acid in your system...even to the point of starting pre-natals if you desire. Doing that and keeping your intake "clean" (such as with the caffeine, which I respect you for) will yield far greater results than anything else! Good luck - we look forward to welcoming you to the "club"
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 08:04
one day at a time

Plan: south beach
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Jenna!!!!!!!!! I just saw your news ~ congratulations!!!!!!! Sounds like your mommy intuition was kicking in big time already! Am very excited for you. Good luck and take care of yourself (oh, and for LCers, sugarfree cinnamon gum, if you get nauseated, is a lifesaver).
Hope you have a lovely pregnancy, with lots of happy moments.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-08, 12:18

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

congrats jenna!

i conceived both my babies while on atkins. Actually..atkins brought me back my fertility after 15 yrs of infertility. I went on atkins and was pregnant within 6 mos. then a few years later i went on atkins again and again was preganant within 6 mos. The ONLY way i CAN conceive is on low carb...i tried for 15 yrs with no luck ..lol..
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 19:34

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Dear Girls:

I just started Atkins yesterday. I am already down 1.5 pounds. I am hoping to just get my cycle fixed and then maybe I will be able to conceive! My cycle was messed up from birth control pills but I'm sure it will get back to being regular now that I am low carbing.

I feel 100 times better already. I feel like I am doing something for myself. Before yesterday I felt like it was all a "waiting game" waiting to get pregnant for my life as a parent to begin. I love my life now but my husband and I ready for a family! I am 29!

Now I can look forward to health and looking nice while I wait till I conceive.

Maybe when I get pregnant I can just add berries and keep the carbs still low (like a maintanence level)

I will keep you all posted.

Love
Entropy
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 22:03

Plan: BFing Diet/Atkins
Stats: 290/280/160 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 8%

Best of luck to you Entropy! I found that when I wasn't focusing on trying to conceive was when it happened. Enjoy your low carb and the results and you may get the happy surprise we got! Our baby is due August 15th and so far my pregnancy is going very well. I did go off low carb, but I've only gained 13 lbs in 6 months, which I think is very good.

Again...Good luck!!

Jenna
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 05:54

BF:

I do wish you luck. just today at the gym
I noticed a news segment about how many women are getting diabetes while pregnant. Theysaid it was related to the obesity epidemic in the U.S.

13 lbs is great! that is nothing.

goodluck with your journey and pregnancy.
love
Entropy
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 08:42
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

I just wanted to pop in here and send good energy your way. SweetJenna is right, when we conceived our focus had been on me just getting as healthy as I could...eating really well and clean (LC ala PPLP) taking my vitamins and working out...and then us have FUN while trying. And we were blessed. I know it isn't always easy like that but it was important to me to take that approach and be ready for anything. Entropy you are doing it so right...keep at it! I know how you feel about being ready...I was 37 at the time. But you are right to focus on all the good in your life and just prime your body the best you know how to conceive.

And SweetJenna, 13 pounds really is nothing. You are obviously doing things just right too.

Take care and good luck to you both!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 13:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/199/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

Congrats Jenna!

I just started LC today and will be TTC in July!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 09:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%

These posts give me hope.

We first conceived in 2004 and I was lc'ing at the time, but then we lost the baby in July and depression and old eating habits kicked in.

I've been back in the lc lifestyle now since January and am down 30 lbs and my doctor has me on Clomid too.

Please think good thoughts and prayers (if you pray) that we can have one of our own (I'm full-time stepmom to his 4, so we know it's possible!)

Thanks!

Nicole
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: General / Paleo / Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 31%

Wolfie

Both times I conceived (am 6 weeks pregnant now), I was following a low carb way of eating. The first time, I was on induction Atkins levels. This time, I was eating slightly more carbs (like 40-50) and following the Body for Life exercise plan.

My experience is that when I am eating a high carb diet, my cycles are LONG. As soon as I get serious about cutting those carbos - they drop to 28 days and I'm pregnant.

You are doing the right thing - heal your body and the baby will come!

I'm going to say a prayer for you right now.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 17:49

BF:

oh please say a prayer for me too! I went off the pill end of Nov and only had one cycle in mid-Jan. I have had no other cycles but I'm not pregnant. I am going to the doctor on tues to find out what is wrong. I have been low carbing for 26 days now and I believe I would be able to conceive on low carb IF I had a cycle, but if I don't have a cycle I'm probably not ovulating.

I will keep this thread updated IF I conceive in the next couple of months.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 18:27

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I was in heavy ketosis when i was pregnant (bad nausea and vomiting). The problem is not the ketosis part of it, it's the fat-burning aspect. Some people believe that the toxins stored in your fat can be harmful to the baby. I tried to get out of ketosis but I was also literally starving rom not being able to eat or drink. If you are in ketosis and healthy and not losing fat at a really high rate, I personally think it is not such a big deal. My family doctor actually thought dieting and losing weight during pregnancy was OK. I don't agree, because losing weight always involves a stress to the body that you don't need to impose on a peanut. My midwives were not OK with it.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 04:06
Registered Member

Plan: General / Paleo / Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 31%

Entropy

I will say a prayer for you now, too.

Don't give up. Your hormone systems are very sensitive to excess weight. Any fat on your body actually has an estrogen-effect, so your system will be flooded with estrogen.

Doctors don't even understand exactly the influence that insulin has on fertlity, but they know that it does because of the role weight plays in polycystic ovary syndrome.

Keep fighting.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 08:15

BF:

Thank you so much for your post!
I am going to the doctor on Tuesday to find out why I am not getting my cycle. Today is Day 30 on Atkins and I really do feel much better. I only lost 6.5 pounds on Atkins but I am down 12 pounds since the Passover Holiday.

I only have 20 more pounds or so to go.