Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 16:05

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Religious practice of fasting one day a month may protect arteries

Quote:
Mormons have less heart disease — something doctors have long chalked up to their religion's ban on smoking. New research suggests that another of their "clean living" habits also may be helping their hearts: fasting for one day each month.

A study in Utah, where the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is based, found that people who skipped meals once a month were about 40 percent less likely to be diagnosed with clogged arteries than those who did not regularly fast.

People did not have to "get religion" to benefit: non-Mormons who regularly took breaks from food also were less likely to have clogged arteries, scientists found.

They concede that their study is far from proof that periodic fasting is good for anyone, but said the benefit they observed poses a theory that deserves further testing.

"It might suggest these are people who just control eating habits better," and that this discipline extends to other areas of their lives that improves their health, said Benjamin Horne, a heart disease researcher from Intermountain Medical Center and the University of Utah in Salt Lake City.

He led the study and reported results at a recent American Heart Association conference. The research was partly funded by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.

Roughly 70 percent of Utah residents are Mormons, whose religion advises abstaining from food on the first Sunday of each month, Horne said.

Finding religion
Researchers got the idea to study fasting after analyzing medical records of patients who had X-ray exams to check for blocked heart arteries between 1994 and 2002 in the Intermountain Health Collaborative Study, a health registry. Of these patients, 4,629 could be diagnosed as clearly having or lacking heart disease — an artery at least 70 percent clogged.

Researchers saw a typical pattern: only 61 percent of Mormons had heart disease compared to 66 percent of non-Mormons. They thought tobacco use probably accounted for the difference. But after taking smoking into account, they still saw a lower rate of heart disease among Mormons and designed a survey to explore why.

It asked about Mormons' religious practices: monthly fasting; avoiding tea, coffee and alcohol; taking a weekly day of rest; going to church, and donating time or money to charity.

Among the 515 people surveyed, only fasting made a significant difference in heart risks: 59 percent of periodic meal skippers were diagnosed with heart disease versus 67 percent of the others.

The difference persisted even when researchers took weight, age and conditions like diabetes or high cholesterol or blood pressure into account. About 8 percent of those surveyed were not Mormons, and those who regularly fasted had lower rates of heart disease, too.

Brief respite for your cells
Horne speculated that when people take a break from food, it forces the body to dip into fat reserves to burn calories. It also keeps the body from being constantly exposed to sugar and having to make insulin to metabolize it. When people develop diabetes, insulin-producing cells become less sensitive to cues from eating, so fasting may provide brief rests that resensitize these cells and make them work better, he said.

But he and other doctors cautioned that skipping meals is not advised for diabetics — it could cause dangerous swings in blood sugar.

Also for dieters, "the news is not as good as you might think" on fasting, said Dr. Raymond Gibbons of the Mayo Clinic, a former heart association president.

"Fasting resets the metabolic rate," slowing it down to adjust to less food and forcing the body to store calories as soon as people resume eating, Gibbons said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22186390/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 18:52
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Also for dieters, "the news is not as good as you might think" on fasting, said Dr. Raymond Gibbons of the Mayo Clinic, a former heart association president.
"Fasting resets the metabolic rate," slowing it down to adjust to less food and forcing the body to store calories as soon as people resume eating, Gibbons said.
That is true for total fasting, but fasts of one two two days can increase metabolism and general health as well as long as enough calories are consumed during the period.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 19:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hey, this is good news for me since I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and do the monthly fast for religious reasons already. I dislike being hungry enough I wouldn't fast just to lose weight or something that didn't have a spiritual motivation like fasting and praying for my missionary son's safety and success, so it's nice to hear my arteries might be benefitting as well while I do it. Thanks for posting this!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 21:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

I wonder why all the diabetics doing IF report vastly improved blood sugar control eating once a day. As usual this kind of study doesn't take into account the importance of low carb as well. The researchers conducting it probably still think low carb itself is unhealthy.

Thanks for posting though KB. Can't hurt to see IF research in the news, even bad research. From experience I'd say improved cardiovascular health was only a tiny factor in the remarkable health/bodycomp benefits IF/low carb confers.

Stuart
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 22:35

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

I fast a weekend a month to fight atherosclerosis. I am think that the ketosis (high glucagon levels) helps break down plaque.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 08:52
Bigger than ever :(

Plan: Keto
Stats: 464/280/200 Male 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Hey, this is good news for me since I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and do the monthly fast for religious reasons already. I dislike being hungry enough I wouldn't fast just to lose weight or something that didn't have a spiritual motivation like fasting and praying for my missionary son's safety and success, so it's nice to hear my arteries might be benefitting as well while I do it. Thanks for posting this!

Where is your son serving?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 09:39

Plan: PP/Atkins/Transformation
Stats: 305/264/220 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

"Researchers saw a typical pattern: only 61 percent of Mormons had heart disease compared to 66 percent of non-Mormons. They thought tobacco use probably accounted for the difference. But after taking smoking into account, they still saw a lower rate of heart disease among Mormons and designed a survey to explore why.

It asked about Mormons' religious practices: monthly fasting; avoiding tea, coffee and alcohol; taking a weekly day of rest; going to church, and donating time or money to charity.

Among the 515 people surveyed, only fasting made a significant difference in heart risks: 59 percent of periodic meal skippers were diagnosed with heart disease versus 67 percent of the others.

The difference persisted even when researchers took weight, age and conditions like diabetes or high cholesterol or blood pressure into account. About 8 percent of those surveyed were not Mormons, and those who regularly fasted had lower rates of heart disease, too.
"

This is the second time I have read this and although I believe that fasting even once a month would provide some benefit, there are other differences between the LDS and their non LDS neighbors that would affect heart health, that were not included in the study, like choice of food/drink, activity level, etc..
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 10:53

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

Me and the wife have been doing the FAST-5 program for the last three weeks. She was having a hard time losing so we thought we would give it a try.

Linked here
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...mittent+Fasting

I have been lifting weights and building muscle while loosing fat. So far I'm down about 3lbs of fat and have added some muscle. Common wisdom is that you can't build muscle if you are not eating all the time but it looks like the common wisdom is wrong again.

Edit: She has also been loosing weight so she is very happy with the program. By the way we are still following LC woe.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 13:45

BF:

BBQman, if you still happen to look back and see this, he's out in Detroit freezing his little Texan tail off but loving it there.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-07, 15:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
BBQman, if you still happen to look back and see this, he's out in Detroit freezing his little Texan tail off but loving it there.

How much longer does he have?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 08:17
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Horne speculated that when people take a break from food, it forces the body to dip into fat reserves to burn calories. It also keeps the body from being constantly exposed to sugar and having to make insulin to metabolize it.

Eating LC is the easiest way to keep the body from being constantly exposed to sugar and having to make insulin to metabolize it. I practice IFing, I just thought this was funny.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 11:42

BF:

He's got almost a year to go. He got sent up last year at the beginning of December just as winter was getting cold. My biggest fear for him being from so far in the south was that he would freeze, but he has a good coat and is managing. He thinks the snow is fun.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 14:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
He's got almost a year to go. He got sent up last year at the beginning of December just as winter was getting cold. My biggest fear for him being from so far in the south was that he would freeze, but he has a good coat and is managing. He thinks the snow is fun.

I'm sure he'll be fine!

Christmas is coming up, I bet you're excited for his phone call!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 15:24

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 65
BF:
Progress: -50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa
...there are other differences between the LDS and their non LDS neighbors that would affect heart health, that were not included in the study, like choice of food/drink, activity level, etc..
This is what immediately came to my mind as well. For example, I have a Mormon friend who does not consume caffeine for spiritual reasons (and chocolate contains caffeine...so no chocolate) and she restricts her eating of other certain foods as well.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 17:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloyello
This is what immediately came to my mind as well. For example, I have a Mormon friend who does not consume caffeine for spiritual reasons (and chocolate contains caffeine...so no chocolate) and she restricts her eating of other certain foods as well.

Whoa... whoever said Mormons can't eat chocolate? I can't think of how many ward dinners I have been to with chocolate. And I've seen two of my former bishops eating chocolate.