Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 19:43

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

The ability to digest dairy is a recent (very recent) adaptation. Paleo predates this.

Personally, I think Paleo has some great concepts, but my ancestors went through all the trouble to evolve the ability to use dairy, so who am I to argue.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 19:54

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've heard worse excuses.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 20:04

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
With evolution, there is no longer any need for God; there is, in fact, no room for God, according to Darwin.

The point was that plenty of religious people also believe in evolution, whether Darwin was an atheist or not.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 20:38

Plan: uncommon sense
Stats: 173.0/135.5/145.5 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 136%

Also, just so you know, plenty of scientists are creationists. I'm interested in solid information and data on dairy if you have any. I read some of your links all about the nasties in beans etc, and that's really what I'm wondering about dairy. Does anyone have an account of what dairy did to them before they ceased eating it?
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 20:39

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette

Caveman's trying to get us moved to the War Zone.

Plane
Who came out as an Atheist recently
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 21:08

BF:

Quote:
I've heard worse excuses.

Hee hee hee. I try to keep my excuses AT LEAST creative
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 21:15

BF:

I haven't given up dairy completely. I still ave a little half & half now and then, and some hard cheese a little. But I will tell you that the primary "noticeable" benefit to me has been being able to breathe out of BOTH NOSTRILS at night when I lay me down to sleep.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 21:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy

Plane

Plane, we then share more than a city!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 21:30

BF:

I have been out of the "Godless Heathen" closet for ages. 'Bout time you all showed up
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 21:40

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Seriously, where have you guys been all my life? *has been atheist since birth*

Anyway, girlgerms, if you can get ahold of Nancy she can steer you towards a lot of good anti-dairy info. Off the top of my head though, you should look up casomorphins and opioid peptides.

Also betacellulin and EGF. If you go to http://www.thepaleodiet.com and look at the back issues of the newsletter it has a lot of stuff about betacellulin and EGF (epidermal growth factor) and why you don't want to be eating these things.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 22:53

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

The garry oak meadows on Vancouver Island have a lot of camas. Too bad there aren't a lot of garry oak meadows. The natives there used to harvest the largest bulbs and spread the small ones around and replant them, so is was a bit like agriculture.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 06:09

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

"I have been out of the "Godless Heathen" closet for ages. 'Bout time you all showed up " Wifezilla you are too funny I am glad you showed up!!!

I am not an athiest ...but all my life I have been a very proud agnositic trying my damndest to evolve

as well as being Agnostic as Hell ...I also a credentialed allergy nurse as well as working in Emergent care.....and work half my position in a very busy injection room with that handles about 500 allergy patients...I know that many of my patients serious food components to their allergies (that never show up on testing) and we spend a lot of time together talking about this......I understand the dairy/grain allergy connection and when folks complain of chronic congestion ..sinus infections and post nasal drip ..ect ...I do have them give up dairy ...if they are willing ...for at least a month ...see if the symptoms resolve....then bring it back with a big bowl of ice cream or something and see if the symptoms return....and about 50% of the folks willing to try this that do report back to me admit to noticing a difference and continue to watch the dairy especially on days they are getting allergy injections...

dairy/grain other food allergies as I mentioned do not always show up in testing..not in blood tests not in fecal testing not in skin tests... ..sometimes you just have to treat people not test results! My doctor and I are always talking about this ..and sometimes arguing!!! he is young a brilliant man but has lots to learn imho!...Even in the urgent care I work in if we see folks with chronic sinus infections I will talk about allergy elimination diets to them ...and offer them that option...

not too many folks are open to cutting foods out of thier diets I can tell you that ..even the diabetics will talk all day about what they can not eat and eat it anyway ....getting people to eat healthy is the singler hardest thing I do and the reason I have so many patients in both jobs is that folks eat like crap!!!

I really do believe many folks have allergies to dairy/grains and other foods... that go undetected and cause chronic complaints...

very often I will have breastfeeding moms give up dairy if the babies have skin rashes, diarrhea or are very fussy ...many times this works!

dairy is not for a lot of people . ...and I can tell you flat out I dont think cow milk or soy milk is good for any babies!!! (do not get me started here ) mommie munchies for babies helps prevent a ton of allergies especially if the mom cuts cow dairy out of their diet!!!

anyway it it were not for people with poor diets I guess I would not have much of a job

Last edited by Heidihi : Fri, Nov-09-07 at 06:32.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 06:34

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

I have collected camas ..they have a lovely flavor BUT!!!... you have to be careful there is a DEATH camas

death being the key word here
http://www.fs.fed.us/ipnf/eco/yourf...ers/dcamas.html
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 06:50

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Does anyone have an account of what dairy did to them before they ceased eating it?

Dairy used to be just about my favorite food. Milk, cheese, butter, I used it all, and I used it often. I'd put cheese on anything that would stand still and anything I could hunt down.

I have a box of keenex in every room in my house. Sometimes 2! I used to go through them so fast I kept reminding myself to buy stock in them. I never went anywhere without a big stack of them. I used to get bronchitis 2-3 times per year requiring antibiotics. Sinus infections more often. I used to go through several asthma rescue inhalers every year. I was allergic to every possibly outdoor allergen.

6 weeks after I gave up cheese (just cheese to start!) I went to a outdoor event and spent the whole day playing in grassy fields. At 5 I sneezed and reached for a kleenex and realized I hadn't needed one all day.
That may not sound exciting to you, but for me it was beyond the all time record.

For the first time in some 30-odd years of life I discovered that it was actually possible to breath through both nostrils at the same time! Who knew!?

Now I usually take 50% less asthma medicine. I do still take allergy meds through some seasons, but now taking the meds gives me completely clear sinuses all the time and the ability to go walking outside even in this fall season, which used to nearly kill me, with just the occasional sneeze.

I haven't eaten cheese of any sort in...2 years I think. Now when I look at it it has all the appeal of glue. I'll still use butter on veggies if I'm out, at home I use ghee or bacon dripping.
And about once a quarter I'll have a serving of ice cream, but I always pay the price in wheezing and nose blowing for 2-3 days.

I'm also severely allergic to soy. It basically gives me food poisoning with all the nasty side effect. I'm told that reactions of that sort continue to get worse and can build into anaphalactic shock reactions.

There is some really good research that shows that casein, gluten and soy proteins are all exactly the same size and shape, and perfectly suited to climb through any loose joints in the intestines, then they cause havoc.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 07:23

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy

Plane

Hey, I'm an atheist too! I'm just trying to defend religious folks who believe in evolution.