Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 02:39
Registered Member

Plan: homegrown
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by litkay
Am I the only one who finds this all very overwhelming at times?
Sometimes I'll have an epiphany and think I've figured it out and it's all very simple, and 10 minutes later I realize I'm overwhelmed again.

Here it is simplified:

Take a plate and cover half of it with nonstarchy vegetables and a quarter of it with protein. Cook or dress however you like using healthy fats (olive oil, avocado oil, butter, lard, nut butters, cheese). Make that the basis of your meals now and forever regardless of whatever ends up on the other quarter of your plate.

That is 75% of your diet, both when losing weight, and for life, covered.

During weight loss, on the other quarter of your plate:

3 - 6 times a week, cover the other quarter of the plate with some low-sugar fruit (berries, melon, kiwi, etc.)

2 - 4 times a week, cover the other quarter of the plate with some kind of low-carb junk food (sugarfree jello, sugarfree ice cream, sugarfree ice cream, low-carb tortillas, etc.)

Other than those few meals, the rest of the time, make it more nonstarchy vegetables on the final quarter of your plate.

When you get to maintenance, you can add some other stuff:

2 - 4 times a week, cover the last quarter of your plate with barley or buckwheat (much more micronutrients for the carbs than other grains).

2 - 4 times a week, cover the last quarter of your plate with starchier vegetables (corn, sweet potatoes, rutabagas, turnip, carrots) or whole grains (brown rice, millet, quinoa, wheat berries, oat groats).

1 - 2 times a week, cover the last quarter of your plate with pasta, bread or potatoes or other starchy goodies you've been missing.

Frankly, if you stick to the *rule* of half your food by volume being nonstarchy veggies and a quarter of it being protein, even if you eat complete crap on that other quarter of your plate now and then, you're greatly limiting the damage both to your weight and to health overall.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 06:05
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 174/166.0/135 Female 67
BF:32/30/20
Progress: 21%

Hmm!!!
Thanks! I've never had it broken down quite like that before.
Is that from a book or from your own experience?
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-08, 04:31
Registered Member

Plan: homegrown
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 68
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by litkay
Hmm!!!
Thanks! I've never had it broken down quite like that before.
Is that from a book or from your own experience?

Experience, as I've been at this over a decade as I'm diabetic.

You can low-carb lots of different ways, but for the best health results, emphasizing the veggies heavily beats the heck out of sugar-free ice cream and low-carb tortillas.

Frankly, I give the same advice to those who don't low-carb. If half your food is vegetables and a quarter is protein, that's a pretty balanced diet, better than most folks eat. It crowds the junk out, so even if the other quarter is french fries, it's pretty good.

And it's a *simpler* system than 4 food groups or pyramids or such. You don't have to study nutrition to do it.

I also incorporate stuff I've learned other than in the low-carb world, things like knowing that barley and buckwheat each have micronutrients very helpful for diabetes, heart disease and cancer, which makes their carb hit much more "worth it" than for any other grain.