Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 09:39

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

In "Good Calories, Bad Calories" Gary Taubes cites studies that low carbers keep the weight off around 50% of the time. The long term success rate for calorie restricted diets (usually low fat/high carb/low calories) is more like 1%.

Last edited by Wifezilla : Sun, Nov-11-07 at 13:44.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 10:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The other thing that is tough for low carbers is the messages they get about the diet being unhealthy. They're told, by the sadly misinformed, that their kidneys will explode, their hearts will gum up, their bowels will cease functioning, and that their brains can't possibly function on low carb. Most people following a diet are pretty ignorant of the research in the field so when someone in authority who should know better tells them this crap, they believe it. They get told that they should be eating "healthy whole grains" so they go out and purchase Cheerios and that is probably the death knell on their low carb diet.

I think until the medical profession and the media get their act together they're going to be sabatoging the diets of people.

Also, this whole notion of "dieting" really needs to be dismissed. A diet is a temporary measure. What people really need is a way of eating that doesn't promote obesity. If we had the REAL story about this we'd be eating this way from day 1 and never get fat in the first place.

So if we start acting like vegans, who adopt a way of eating not just a temporary diet, we'd have a lot more success. I'm not saying become a vegan, I'm just suggesting its more permanent change than a diet is.

So yes! Low carb diets fail just as much as any diet fails. But becoming a permanent eater of low carb has a much higher success rate.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-07, 13:48

BF:

I still crack up over this. (Nancy inspired it )
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 22:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/126.5/110 Female 5 foot
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The other thing that is tough for low carbers is the messages they get about the diet being unhealthy. They're told, by the sadly misinformed, that their kidneys will explode, their hearts will gum up, their bowels will cease functioning, and that their brains can't possibly function on low carb. Most people following a diet are pretty ignorant of the research in the field so when someone in authority who should know better tells them this crap, they believe it. They get told that they should be eating "healthy whole grains" so they go out and purchase Cheerios and that is probably the death knell on their low carb diet.

I think until the medical profession and the media get their act together they're going to be sabatoging the diets of people.

Also, this whole notion of "dieting" really needs to be dismissed. A diet is a temporary measure. What people really need is a way of eating that doesn't promote obesity. If we had the REAL story about this we'd be eating this way from day 1 and never get fat in the first place.

So if we start acting like vegans, who adopt a way of eating not just a temporary diet, we'd have a lot more success. I'm not saying become a vegan, I'm just suggesting its more permanent change than a diet is.

So yes! Low carb diets fail just as much as any diet fails. But becoming a permanent eater of low carb has a much higher success rate.

Couldn't of said it better myself.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-07, 11:43

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was shocked by those numbers of " 5% keep it off long term".

Then I had a few very precise thoughts on this matter:

1) Likely the other 95% didnt have the good sense and/or willpower to stick with it. NO diet works unless you work the diet!

2) LowCarb is the ONLY diet that has EVER let me lose more than 2-3 lbs. Im ashamed that Im not at goal already, but the fact is, low carb has kept 50 lbs off even under the most stressful 2 years of my life. Losing jobs abruptly, divorce, giving up my house, living with my parents moving 3x, going back to school at 43 years old, more stressful jobs, lack of jobs b/c of the school hours etc...

OP, Im not sure that statistics will ever do anyone any good in the weight loss battle. If only 3 people try something, and it works for those 3 people, then you have a 100% success rate!

But I dont think we'd be able to objectively look at that and determine anything about it. Dieting is very much a person by person experience. What works for one is in absolutely NO way guaranteed to work for another, even if they follow it absolutely to the letter. As far as low calorie diets? I know plenty of people who have lost, and kept off the weight using low cal diets. Just as I know a ton that have gained every ounce back plus a few. For me, low cal diets would NEVER work because 1) I dont like the foods I'd have to eat such as tons of veggies and Im not going to eat anything I dont like. Not in a sulky 2 year old sullen way, I just know me and what I will do and wont do. 2) My body makeup thrives on high fat / low carb and why on earth would I argue with it?

Ugh, this is way too long but know that I do hope you and your mom both find whatever works for you, still allows you pleasure with your food and obtain the desired results. Whichever plan it might be.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 01:36

Plan: glycemic index
Stats: 199/185/175 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

I've tried almost all the low-carb plans, and I've come to the realization (at least for me) that matching your personality to the plan is the key. I have close friends who swear by south beach, and others who couldn't come close to surviving the 2 week binge cycle. Others who loved Atkins. Some who despise it. Personally, I've had good success with the Glycemic Index plans as they match a lifestyle approach. Plus I'm an at risk diabetic.

I've always been 100% successful at losing. At about 80% likely to gain it back within 6-9 months.

On the right track lately. If you're diabetic or at risk, some helpful sites to get you going in the right direction I found include:
Diabetes.org

Glycemic Index
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 02:48

Plan: low carb
Stats: 294/201/150 Female 5'6'
BF:got that
Progress: 65%

I think one of the things that tends to mess up people is this message from the media/science that when you are on maintenance you can have any foods you want as long as you do it in moderation.
Those people are nutso. At close to 300 pounds do you think I ever had anything in moderation. The problem for me (and I bet some other people) is that while I can eat a normal amount of meats, chicken, fish and veggies, if I add sugary stuff into the meld the whole moderation thing goes out the window.
And if I can't eat sugar while I am losing weight why would this suddenly change when I am in maintenance.
So no matter what the media tells you, it really and truly is a life style change.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 07:10

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Nancy, thank you...

that 'act like a vegan' hit me hard.

We need to be staunch avoiders of sugars, starches, grains, etc that can kill us. A vegan doesn't have 'just a taste' of meat...

I really like this point of view
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 07:40

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 352.2/332.6/230 Male 74 inches
BF:43%/40%/10%
Progress: 16%

I dunno, I never personally had a problem with gaining weight. I was always very active and stayed about the same weight my entire adult life. But I did sprain an ankle and gain 50 pounds in 2 months when my activity level plummeted.

I really don't know what maintenance will be like but I would think that regular exercise is what most people who revert lack.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 08:12

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Although I know moving around is a good idea, I've lost over 100 pounds without any due to heart failure preventing me.

I know most of my problem is what I shove in my mouth, because of the many times I've yo-yoed I know what I did. I saw an end to the diet. I didn't start lying around, I didn't change my activity at all... it was all about what I was eating.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 10:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaypeeoh
Low carb diet success rate: 100%

Keeping the weight off for a year or more: Less than 5%.

That could be said for any diet in the world other than the really stupid fad ones.

Where did you get the 5% number. I'd love to know an actual, real number. Most people fail on low carb just like most people fail on any diet plan. I wouldn't be shocked if the actual longterm success rate is something in the single digits.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 09:01

BF:

Quote:
I would think that regular exercise is what most people who revert lack.

So would a lot of other people. Of course, you would be WRONG. Exercise and activity level are a symptom of cellular nutrition or lack there of. If you aren't getting the energy you need on a cellular level, you slow your activity. Excess energy, you fidget, want to go for a run, etc.

Gary Taubes explains it all very well in his book "Good Calories Bad Calories". He also addresses this in a free Berkley lecture.

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 10:26

Plan: Minimal Crap (Atkinsish)
Stats: 170/137/140 Female Five feet, three inches
BF:
Progress: 110%

I've been low-carbing since '03 and I've kept the weight off.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 00:27

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Thanks for the valuable link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
So would a lot of other people. Of course, you would be WRONG. Exercise and activity level are a symptom of cellular nutrition or lack there of. If you aren't getting the energy you need on a cellular level, you slow your activity. Excess energy, you fidget, want to go for a run, etc.

Gary Taubes explains it all very well in his book "Good Calories Bad Calories". He also addresses this in a free Berkley lecture.

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_d...webcastid=21216

Hi, I am in the middle of reading Good Calories, Bad calories, and really appreciated this link. I just listented to Taubes' lecture. Thanks!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-08, 00:58

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

About the Taubes webcast: He states: "Before WW11 insuin was used as a treatment for anorexia....if you give insulin to patients, they get fatter - insulin has a lipogenic effect independent of food intake."

In other words, no matter how little you eat, insulin will find a way to take nutrients from any source, and store it as fat.

As a new diabetic on insulin, this is very bad news for me. Especially since it is the only treatment I am allowed.