Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 22:29

Plan: cad
Stats: 203/197/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Columbia SC

Anyone from Columbia SC - I will be moving there next month!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:41

Plan: adkins
Stats: 198/171/155
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Hi Carol

While I'm not in Cola. now, I live in Lancaster, about 1 1/2 hours north. Also, I grew up in Columbia. What area are you moving to? I lived in the Forest Acres area, that on the north side. Look forward to hearing from you.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 12:16

Plan: somersize
Stats: 188/176/150
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hey there,

Newbie to low carb, day 3 of induction. I live in Lexington which is on the outskirts of the burbs. All support is welcomed as I am really struggling!
Carly
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 14:28

BF:

Hi Carly, I'll offer all the support I can. We have been Low-Carbing for awhile now. And while I will be honest, there have been spans when we were off, I have always felt better and had much more energy when maintaining a Low-carb diet. What are your weaknesses, this will help with support. Some of us are "bread addicts", some pasta, some potatoes, some (like myself) are chocoholics. Let me know a little about you and keep in touch.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 20:29

BF:

I think it's more like what AREN'T my weaknesses! I love, adore, worship fresh baked bread! Pasta is a close 2nd with late nite TV snacks 3rd. I am feeling better but still jonesing for a piece of chocolate cake that is sitting in my kitchen. My boys and husband support but don't plan to play this with me.

I have seen a bunch of sugar free jello and cool whip bandied about around here. Is it really legal and how much if so?

How long have you been on this and how long did it take you to see results. I know this has to be a WOL and I can take that. Just slow to start and depressed that all that I love will be gone forever! Just kidding.....kinda .

Just give me a kick every now and then and thanks for being around.

Carly
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:08

BF:

Carly, I vote yes to the Sugar-Free jello & cool whip (or go luxury & make real whipped cream), we have it for dessert quite often. Also (but I'm not familiar with your plan) there are lots of Cheese cake recipes & I make a fab mousse using sugar-free pudding mix & heavy cream (this is a special treat dessert as it does have tons of fat). Another good treat or meal replacement that works for me are the Edge drinks they sell at Wal-mart. Anyway, hope these help, keep in touch.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 15:37

BF:

I am trying the Atkins induction then maybe Somersizing as she allows fruit as long as it is on an empty stomach and you don't mix it with any carbs or fats/pros.

Today was really bad. Woke up with a stomach ache so after I took my son to work I ate some cantelope (on empty stomach) to see if the sugar in it would calm it down some. BIG MISTAKE! I had really bad cramps and icky poo. TMI, sorry. Been dizzy and sleepy all day and still the stomach ache persists though not as bad as a.m. Is this the flushing of toxins or just a freak thing?

Do you know if Arrowroot powder is allowed on any of these plans? I only have the Somersize book and it is not listed. It is an herb/root, white powder that thickens like starch, but you don't have to have the water hot to make it work. The bottle has no nutritional label on it so I don't know what it's make-up is.

Well, glad to know I can have Jello. Maybe that will help things tonight. God I want some tortilla chips! But I will persevere! Thanks for the help.

Carly
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:02

BF:

If you are on the induction for Adkins it your body is having to switch metabolism from a carb burning to a fat burning mode. This can be smooth or for some they experience weakness at first until their body switches over. Basically you have been getting your energy from the carbs you have been eating, now that you have cut those out your body has to switch over to the fat burning mode. This can take a few days to a week (people are different). I would suggest laying off fruit during the induction, the reason being is it will confuse your body's metabolism.Once you get past the first few days you should feel much better and will be suprised at how little you eat and get filled. Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:42

Plan: Protein Power, BFL
Stats: 225/189/140
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Rock Hill,SC

Hello neighbors! I'm from Rock Hill.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 06:56

BF:

Hi Shelley, welcome. I actually work in Rock Hill.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 08:29

Plan: Protein Power, BFL
Stats: 225/189/140
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default small world

Hey Natanya!

Didn't mean to start a whole new post but I did by accident. As I said in that - I can't believe there is someone else on this forum in my area! That is so neat. I work for the local telephone company here in Rock Hill.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 17:09

Plan: haven't started yet
Stats: 235/235/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile

Hello there! I am from Columbia. I'd love to meet others in Columbia to start some type of support group for the low-carb diet.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-02, 19:58

Plan: low carb plan
Stats: 193.5/184.0/120.
BF:
Progress: 13%
Cool I have relatives who live in cola

I go to cola alot because I have family members there. I have been on the atkins plan since 9/30 and have lost about 10 pounds my problem seems to be to find that time to exercise, my mom and dad are both on the atkins plan too so we try and keep each other motivated. I am bipolar and sometimes i can't fall asleep either. Keep up the work and lets chat online sometimes. I am new to this site and i am still trying to figure out how to use this to my advantage. Take care and hope to hear from u soon.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:18
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Closer to Charleston!!

Love to see others in SC on the WOL.....I'm halfway between Charleston and Cola......any other around!

Go you Palmetto's.,.....we can do this!!

Micsing
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/175/165
BF:
Progress: 82%

Carly,

Stick to your guns now and plan a big reward for yourself after you begin adding in a few more carbs. The reward I would suggest is baking yourself some of Dr. Atkins sourdough bread that you can order from his web site. I tell you that is some of the best bread I have ever eaten. We used it to make low carb stuffing at Christmas and found that everyone preferred our low carb stuffing to the regular stuff.
I am also in SC around Cola. My husband and I are both down 50+ lbs on Atkins.

Hossdoc