Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 16:28

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 370/360/220 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Help I'm exhausted from low carb & depressed

Help!

I have been sticking on my low carb Atkins induction diet and can't get out of bed - and I seem extremely depressed. I am a type 2 diabetic - have anything to do with this?

I have lost weight over the last week to ten days, but after about five or six days, I couldn't get up to go to work, was very mentally down and just so tired I can't move.

Added veggies, salads and occassional low carb bread - probably at least 40 carbs or more - but still dead tired.

Would appreciate some advise.

Elegiamore
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 16:55
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

No message.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 16:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 273/249.4/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 23%

I am not a diabetic but the last time I was low carbing I was depressed. Are you taking any vitamins?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 17:06

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I find I have to keep taking my B vitamins or I get very tired and depressed. Just a thought.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 17:18

BF:
Progress:

Yes, I'm taking heavy duty Vitamin B and all the vitamins suggested in Atkin's New Diet Revolution. Appreciate the suggestion very much.

However, I am also using glucomannan, a fiber supplement that fills you up and retains 200 times its weight in water, before each meal. Maybe I am dehydrated?

I'm up all night in the bathroom if I drink lots of water in the evening - and it's very hard to keep pouring it down when you're at work, occupied with clients, etc.

Any other thoughts? My doctor insisted I go low carb - my blood sugar is better and the weight is falling off - but I need to be able to function.

Keep those suggestions coming - thanks a lot

Elegiamore
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 0%

You may need meds.......
I have struggled with depression my whole life.....and there have been times that OTC meds worked. You may want to try that.... There is St. John's Wart and 5-HTP......I take both and right now this works fine for me (along with calcium/magnesium and a b complex).

Only thing is.......if you are "extremely" depressed, those may not be strong enough. You may need to go on prescription meds. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There are some great non-addictive anti-depressants out there now.

Just my .02
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 22:25

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

A couple of ideas:
--Are you on medication for your diabetes? You may need to taper off. Talk to your doctor re adjusting your dose, if you haven't already.
--Many people experience up to two weeks of "induction flu" when they first start low-carbing. Your body is changing over chemically from carb-burning to fat-burning. It's a big adjustment. Fatigue is one of the symptoms for many.

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 22:49
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

The depression and low carb eating aren't necessarily connected. You should go see your doctor -- so depressed you don't want to get out of bed is a sign you need medical treatment.

If you need to chat we are here, and we care.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 04:46
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I agree with the others. If your doctor insisted you go low carb, I would discuss all this with him.
He needs to know exactly how it is effecting you so he can help you with the right medication.
As the previous poster said, it might not have anything to do with low carbing and not wanting to get out of bed daily is a major sign that you do need medical treatment.
Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 06:51

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
However, I am also using glucomannan, a fiber supplement that fills you up and retains 200 times its weight in water, before each meal. Maybe I am dehydrated?

What is your calorie count? Perhaps this supplement is keeping you from eating enough. There have been a number of people recently who have posted about constant fatigue and depression who did much better when they started eating more.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 10:18

Plan: M&E
Stats: 199/147.5/120 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 65%

i have depression to for years.......i do the meat and egg diet and take care of it but you let me cheat 1 day and it comes right back.....here is my menu..i do love eggs

B-2 EGGS COOKED IN BUTTERAND OLIVE OIL

L SAME AS BREAKFAST.

S- 6OZ OF MEAT COOKED IN EXTRA BUTTER AND OLIVE OIL.
MEAT IS PORKCHOP--HAMBURGER--STEAK--FISH---ROAST(PORK OR BEEF)

I LOWER MY CLOS...FROM 310 TO 150 IN 2 1/2 MO.... IT REAL DOES WORK...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

If I assume that you are getting 3 tablespoons of oil with your food, and I assume that today's meat is sirloin steak and you are eating fat and lean, then your total calorie count for the day will be about 1000 cals and you have 1.6g carbs.

You may need to eat more. Are you taking a vitamin/mineral supplement? All of this can account for you being so tired (beyond the lack of energy associated with depression even), and getting insufficient minerals may contribute to depression.

You might want to think about shifting to a plan that includes veggies.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 23:09
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

All good suggestions. You may have been very carbohydrate addicted to start with which can affect your brain chemistry when doing LC-- I couldn't do induction the 1st time I tried I got very ill. I had to go off LC and try again in a few weeks. It was easier the 2nd time. I also found I was very low on potassium, magnesium and calcium so I had to supplement those for the first week. Spinach, avocado, mushrooms, almonds, apple cider vinegar and Lite Salt helped a lot. I don't recommend 5- HTP as it may cause constipation, I think ginkgo biloba is safer if you are not on any blood thinners, it fights depression and repairs poor circulation. My fasting blood sugar has gone from 116 to 100 now down to 88, the latest numbers I am sure are due to my IF fasting regime.

I just thought if you are on type II meds and doing induction your BS may be getting below 70 -- mine sometimes dips as low as 73. Do you test sugars in the mornings and two hours after beginning a meal? I use a cheap $12 meter to spot check. I would check with with your Dr. a BS reading in the 40's can be trouble. I would also drink enough water during the day and less at night.
Quote:
I LOWER MY CLOS...FROM 310 TO 150 IN 2 1/2 MO.... IT REAL DOES WORK...
Those are really impressive stats for eating all that "artery clogging food"

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Oct-27-07 at 23:32.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-07, 15:11

Plan: Control Carb-own program
Stats: 188/163/125 Female 5ft  3.5 inches
BF:?
Progress: 40%

It took me three months to adjust. If you were on alot of carbs before it takes awhile for your body to adjust. Chromium and L Carnitine helped me also COQ10. My doctor tested my thyroid and it was sluggish so after she put me on Thyroid meds my energy returned. Just some suggestions. Judy
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 10:17

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everybody.

As soon as I had some carbs, the depression immediately lifted. I was not depressed before starting low carbing. Getting out of bed was not from depression, but just so groggy and tired I couldn't stay awake.

My blood sugars are lower, but I've checked them whenever I felt bad; they were not the cause. Even on low carbs, my blood sugar is still too high.

I have added veggies, avocado, occassional pieces of low carb bread, etc. This helped some.

It's possible some of the symptoms are from my doctor adding Actos to my meds. I will be following up on my bloodwork with her this week.

I've asked doctors about thyroid issues many times, as I have a low temp in the a.m., but never get any response. Any suggestions?

I'm already on all the supplements suggested, except 5-HTP. I won't be trying it yet, as constipation is already an issue.

INDUCTION FLU: How long did it take most people to adjust to the low carb system?

Any other newbie suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again.

E