Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 16:15

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default Dr Eades: The low-fat diet cascade

Quote:
Finally the New York Times comes up with a halfway decent review of Gary Taubes’ book Good Calories, Bad Calories. In yesterday’s Science section John Tierney (obviously not a member of the Kolata/Brody/Burros coven) takes a serious look at Gary’s book and what it has to say about the mainstream medical/nutritional establishment’s recommendation to follow a low-fat diet.

Read the rest HERE >>> http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=970
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-07, 16:52

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

This is really scarey how so many millions of people can be led astray by this "cascade" psychology by just a few loud voices which build up until everyone is fooled and they don't even know it. After seeing stuff like this I'm going through everything I "know" about health and wondering how much of any of it is really true. Especially creepy is how dissenting voices are silenced by the threat of losing their credibility or jobs. Yikes. Thus far I'm not tossing my low carbs, exercise or vitamin pill, at least.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 15:02

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Once again it seems that Dr. Eades just has to give in to the urge to trash Dr Atkins. I can only assume it is jealousy. While accusing Dr Atkins of hubris may be accurate, the charge is equally valid against Dr Eades. Nyah Levi
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 15:14
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

He got a little shot in at Anthony Colpo, too. I enjoy Dr. Eades' blog and his information, but he's not without his own ego issues.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 15:46

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Maybe Low Carb doesn't just give you the energy of a twelve year old.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-07, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
He got a little shot in at Anthony Colpo, too. I enjoy Dr. Eades' blog and his information, but he's not without his own ego issues.

Yes, he's lobbed several barbs at Colpo in the last couple of weeks
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 03:08

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

The difference is that Colpo started it with Eades, I have never heard or read anything negative that Dr Atkins said about Dr Eades, and now he can't defend himself.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe Dr. Atkins was arrogant and unlikable? I didn't actually meet him or deal with him professionally so I have no idea. But gosh, I've worked with lots of people like that so I can imagine the possibility exists. Just because he led us to a great diet doesn't mean he was a sterling individual all the time in all ways.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 10:15

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Every time I saw Atkins on Larry King or the Today Show he was charming. And as someone pointed out, it's bad form to insult the dead. Go after his ideas maybe (oh, wait, Eades can't do that, can he?), but not his character.

I wish Eades would think through the effect of his comments a little more carefully. By bashing Atkins, he's bashing Atkins, which is his own program in different packaging. A united front would be more effective.

Last edited by bike2work : Fri, Oct-12-07 at 10:23.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't think Eades was trying to insult Atkins, I think he was trying to explain why Dr. Atkin's ideas weren't accepted.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 11:01

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Maybe he was on his best behavior with Larry King? Who knows? But Eades is right. If you disagree with someone's position that's one thing. But if you also happens to hate his guts, that makes the disagreement emotional and personal. It becomes an entirely different ball game. You might agree to disagree with a person you respect, but only a very mature and professional individual will manage to separate their personal feelings enough to be objective if they hate the person.

So to me it goes a long way to explain why Atkins detractors were so very virulent.

I can also understand why Dr Eades is bitter. Imagine that you're a animal activist, intent on improving the lot of animals especially in factory farms and puppy mills. Along comes extremist like the members of PETA, who end up giving a bad name to your whole movement, and turn away a whole slew of people who might have otherwise been sympathetic to your cause. If Eades is right, that's what happened
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
I can also understand why Dr Eades is bitter. Imagine that you're a animal activist, intent on improving the lot of animals especially in factory farms and puppy mills. Along comes extremist like the members of PETA, who end up giving a bad name to your whole movement, and turn away a whole slew of people who might have otherwise been sympathetic to your cause. If Eades is right, that's what happened

I've said before that DANDR was written with a copywriter's heart, not a doctor's. He was selling a book, for sure and he knew exactly the right buttons to push. He was not writing it for medical acceptance. He wrote it so that overweight housewives, truck drivers, and office workers could understand it and apply it to their lives. His mission was not to gain mainstream medical and nutritional community acceptance.

I don't know if Eades believes Atkins is the equivalent of a PETA wingnut, but if he does, he's a fool. A complete fool.

Atkins' hucksterish tone and claims may have hindered the acceptance of low carb at the "top" of the nutritional policy food chain, but they also created a gigantic grass roots following that Eades, for all his intellectual gifts, could never create.

Those people Atkins theoretically turned away would not have converted if the message had been more polite, had, say, a writer like Eades written the book and stripped it of its populist charm. I own a copy of Protein Power, and thought it was nearly dry and something of a task to read. I submit that had Dr. Atkins been less carny and more cowtow toward the mainstream, none of us would have ever heard of Eades.

Don't take this as a slam on Eades, who I respect. It's just that I don't think a different approach would have worked. Atkins' best contribution to the situation is the successful and happy truck drivers, housewives, office workers, waitresses and other regular Joes who could understand and apply his work.

When Eades has done a tenth as much, he should feel free to throw a rock or three.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 14:14
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I bought a copy of Protein Power long before I ever bought DADR or DANDR. I remember reading the introductory paragraphs and thinking it was an interesting concept. I got to the part about how to do the diet and it lost me. Too complicated for me to wrap my head around at the time. It's too bad because for me, low-carb was a magic ticket, I wish I'd figured it out earlier.

It was years later that I picked up DADR. The original version of Atkins was freakily simple. If it isn't on the list, don't eat it. If it is, eat anytime you are hungry and until you are satisfied. I even think DANDR is too fussy with it's rules and carb counting and OWL ladder.

Quote:
I submit that had Dr. Atkins been less carny and more cowtow toward the mainstream, none of us would have ever heard of Eades.

I concur.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 14:42

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well PETA was my example, so it's certainly nothing Dr Eades said. I was using it as an example to illustrate how one person or group can negatively impact a cause. I wasn't comparing Dr. Atkins to PETA, rather his detractors perception of him. This is a bit muddled because we hate PETA and we respect Dr. Atkins. But take a step back and you should see what I mean. I'm sure in the minds of those people who seem to believe Dr Atkins was Lucifer himself, he was as objectionable as the PETA is to us.

And when you mention "acceptance of low carb at the "top" of the nutritional policy food chain" that was exactly the problem with Atkins [according to Dr. Eades]. No one denies he was popular with the masses and no one denies he was universally condemned by all the "experts". Yet it's the so called experts who influence policies not Joe Average. This, Dr Eades contends, has hurt the acceptance of low carb.

To avoid any more confusion here is the quote from Eades's blog we are refering to. You'll have to read the whole thing if you want to known about binary choices and its impact on information cascades

Quote:
This analysis confirms one of the suspicions I’ve held for a long time, namely that the most vociferous popularizer of the low-carb diet - Robert Atkins - was its worst enemy in terms of its gaining wide acceptance. Atkins was so personally cantankerous and made such hubristic pronouncements that most mainstream researchers couldn’t stand him and couldn’t bring themselves to admit that he was right about what he said. As a consequence they thought in binary terms: either the low-carb diet is good or it’s bad. And since Atkins is its main proponent and we hate Atkins, it’s bad. Even low-carb proponents didn’t particularly like Dr. Atkins. As I mentioned in a previous post, John Yudkin, a low-carb proponent if there ever was one, said of the Atkins book that its

chief consequence [may have been] to antagonize the medical and nutritional establishment.

Had Dr. Atkins been charismatic, friendly, approachable, in full command of the medical literature, and had he not made the bizarre and hubristic comments about repealing the laws of thermodynamics, I think low-carb would probably be the diet of choice right now, recommended by mainstream nutritionists instead of being viewed as a fad diet that is dangerous. The obesity and diabetes epidemics might have been avoided. I’ve learned from many conversations with various scientists that they just can’t bring themselves to say publicly that Atkins was right because they loathed him so much.

Last edited by Angeline : Fri, Oct-12-07 at 14:50.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-07, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Maybe he was on his best behavior with Larry King? Who knows? But Eades is right. If you disagree with someone's position that's one thing. But if you also happens to hate his guts, that makes the disagreement emotional and personal. It becomes an entirely different ball game. You might agree to disagree with a person you respect, but only a very mature and professional individual will manage to separate their personal feelings enough to be objective if they hate the person.

So to me it goes a long way to explain why Atkins detractors were so very virulent.

I wouldn't call Eades "bitter". Just my opinion.

Now.... he is hung up on Colpo!