Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 21:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/246/230 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default The "You are what you eat" show

So I was watching BBC America today and I happened to see 1 and a half episodes of the British "You are what you Eat" show. All I can say is OMG.

The first scary thing is of course that American TV executives are so scared of producing a TV show that will flop that half of the time they just take successful shows from the BBC and make bad copies of them for US television. Of course since the US versions tend to suck when compared to the original (which is why I prefer to watch the originals on BBC America even if it takes upwards of a year for them to finally bring the shows over here) so the US shows end up flopping bigger than if the US executives had actually gotten off their collective butts and actually come up with something half way original. Well long story short, if it was on BBC America today chances are it will be on TLC, or at the very least FOX, tomorrow. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they already tried to create an American version and I just happened to miss the previews of it.

Well the show involves some "expert" telling poor British (usually it seems Women) that they are going to die from eating too many "Chips and Crisps" (Chips == fries, crisps==chips.) So first they force these people to give this woman a sample of their bow movements (not kidding.) She inspects their poop and informs them that it is smell and nasty -- almost like it where nothing but ... well poop -- because they eat too many saturated fats (she would pass out if she saw my poop after I forgot to take my fiber pills for a while.) It was exactly like that movie that starred Matthew Broderick about Dr. Kellogg (the guy who invented the corn flakes) only this women wasn't joking or poking fun like that movie was.

Next she shows them all of the food that they eat in one weak and points out how much fat is in their. Of course if you show what anyone eats over the course of one week it will seem insanely large and excessive but they never point that out. Finally, and here is the best part, she informs them that the only way they can get thin is to follow her, and only her, eating plan. It doesn't matter if that eating plan doesn't fit their lifestyle or if they find that plan to be impossible to follow in the long run. They must follow her plan exactly -- and if they don't follow her plan exactly they are all doomed to stay fat forever.

Now I think it is no wonder that the UK is becoming almost as fat as the US if they actually take the opinion of some crazy fecophiliac seriously. I couldn't help noticing that one of the healthy foods they must now eat are avocados. No I assume that if they are eating fruits that are native to, and as I understand only grow well in, tropical parts of the Americas then this diet is not only high carb as in high carbohydrates but also high carb as in high carbon foot print. Just a guess there. Perhaps if you eat a diet with almost no fat in it, then like the ancient Aztecs you must consume avocados in order to prevent Rabbit Starvation? Don't get me wrong avocados are possibly natures perfect fruit I just found it odd seeing them in a British show about nutrition. I guess I assumed they would be an ultra exotic fruit in Europe.

Anyway I actually ended up enjoying the show: I laughed, I cried, and I spent most of the show watching with my mouth wide open in disbelief. It was kind of like watching a train wreck -- I could not watch yet I could not turn away! My favorite part is when they use an ultra wide angle lens to make these people look even fatter before they start the diet.

So is this actually a popular show? I would guess it would have to be somewhat popular or they wouldn't bring it to BBC America. Do people in the UK actually listen to this quake? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 22:01

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

LOL!!!That show has been on in Canada for awhile...I love to watch it!!
We love to put on our best British accents and yell, "Look at yer POO! It's RANCID! Dis-GUSTING!"

The diet gets the job done...short term...because it's just too awful for 99% of the human race to stick with. There's no happy medium at all!

The host(ess) Gillian is only about 85 lbs. and sickly looking.

She DOES get people to pick an exercise program they can stick with...so that's a good thing....but the stuff they have to eat...oh, icck.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 04:16

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

I hate this show, the woman presenter is a quack who likes to call herself DR with a degree she bought from a US online university. Her diet is disgusting and unsustainable for any normal human, the only reason the people lose weight is because they are starving. There has never been a follow up show so I imagine most of them are back to square one and unhealthier than when they started. The woman is a vegaNazi and also rude, agressive and pompous. I would slam the door in her face rather than let her into my house.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 09:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Yes, Gillian McKieth who bought her Doctor title on the internet and has been proved to be a fake over here in the UK and discredited. I dont think she's allowed to use the title "doctor" anymore.

I cant stand the woman or what she has to say.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 09:46

Stats: 134/114.4/100 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Also she doesn't look particularly healthy herself...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-07, 10:16
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh my gosh! I've read about this lady and I've watched the show many times without sound at the pub ( ), but I had no idea she was the host!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-07, 20:05
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

This has been on in Canada for ages, and I watched it all of once. And then only because my BF called me up and said "Babe, you have to turn to channel 3, there's this British woman who looks at your crap and tells you off!" and I thought it was some weird scat/dom call in show or something.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 06:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Do people in the UK actually listen to this quake? Just wondering.
Certainly not any that I know!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 07:20

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 220/216/143 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:46%
Progress: 5%
Default A blast from the past

How funny, I went to accupuncture college with Gillian McKeith, and I think the less I say about her the better. But that is not what I thought was so funny, before I even knew she was being discussed here, I used her as an example with one of my clients today to illustrate why it is so important to make sure you are properly credentialled. Gillian had years to get herself good credentials and didn't ...and as they say, the rest is history.

BTW: Gillian is American.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 07:25

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Agree with the horribleness of this show... but on the avocado point, they are really common here, have been since the 70s when they were served at dinner parties in halves with a spoonful of viangrette in place of the stone.. I love them, have one every other day at least!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 07:53

Stats: 155/155/135 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress:
Smile She has some valid points though;)

Hi, Im new to this forum and I actually found it by researching " You Are What You Eat" online. I just found this show last week by channel surfing, Oprah is boring lately and Gillian sure isnt!

I just have to say that I applaud her efforts, albeit she can be very rude. She has me re-thinking all the meat I do eat as a low carb-er and Im think I need more veggies and fiber in my diet. I just started my wellness journey a few months ago, and Im very excited to learn all that I can about food, organic of course and supplements. I also just started a new wellness biz and Im very excited about it all. Organic products, saferforyour home cleaning products without chemicals....

Im excited to be here learning with all of you!

SharieM
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 11:19

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissych

BTW: Gillian is American.

Her biography says she was born in Perth in 1959 which makes her Scottish.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-07, 11:48

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharieM
I just have to say that I applaud her efforts,

Please don't take this personally, but as someone who spent almost 20 years in college and university, most of it part-time while working and raising a child, in order to earn a bone fide PhD, I have absolutely no respect for someone who bought hers from a mail-order catalogue.

Now Gillian Whoever might be a perfectly fine person in many aspects of her life, but as far as I'm concerned, ANYTHING she has to say while using (or attempting to use) a bogus degree to back her up is dishonest and a slap in the face, not only to anyone who takes her advice, but also to those who really did put in the effort to obtain their academic credentials.

ANYONE who buys an academic degree is a cheat, a liar, and a thief.

Rachel
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 05:47

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 220/216/143 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:46%
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheneas
Her biography says she was born in Perth in 1959 which makes her Scottish.

Sorry my mistake, she was supporting a broad American accent and being very American when I met her. Seems her degree is not the only thing she likes to fake.

Last edited by Krissych : Sat, Oct-06-07 at 06:32.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 06:27

Plan: Self-Enlightened Man
Stats: 240/220/220 Male 100 Feet Tall
BF:
Progress: 100%

Its really sad to watch those British shows because those poor limy Brits tend to eat less red meat and saturated fat then the other continental western populations and have their trademark physically degenerated dentures, they have become famous for their crooked black smiles, they used to be cool eating all those weird pies with all sorts of animal organs and cooking their stuff in butter, but after ww2 it seemed like they lost their ways and began eating margarine, tofu and polyunsaturated oils, Noooooo! Usually if something tastes disgusting, its bad for you. If you see the haggis guzzling Scotts or even Irish and Welshmen with their purer fattier diets you can clearly see their physiques and teeth are better, sadly thats beginning to change as they adopt the retarded eating habits propagated by mindless t.v. personalities and disgruntled fanatisists posing as honest scientific researchers, I wont even get into to Pharma and argicorps.

I hope they one day realize the lies and mass suggested fallacies being shoved down their mouths and rectify them with natural animal products before its too late.

Theres always Hope

Cheerio