Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 12:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have one too, but I can't get past the squash curry.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 12:33

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

squash and curry are meant to be together you know!!
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 15:15

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Well, I still have one acorn squash. Need more curry though. My son ate it all :P
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 17:00

BF:

How awesome your kid eats all your curry!!!

mine I swear smell it from miles away and come running when I make any type of curry!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 17:31

BF:

Tamales are usually a Christmas food but I love to make them early ..this time of year when the chiles are the best they can be

since they are filled with masa and very high carb ...a few years when I was loosing wt and avoiding the masa..but did not want to miss the tamale tradition

I dug back to a pile of old recipes ..and found one I loved the idea of but not the filling

it was a home made southwest style sausage (Sunset Magazine I think) wrapped in a corn husk and baked or grilled

I thought the Sunset Recipe was kind of tame for going to all the trouble of wrapping them so I took a Chorizo recipe I have been evolving over the years and put that inside...

freaking fantastic recipe!!! and perfect for the fall!!! fun to take to work for lunch! people are all over you with the aroma when you nuke them and then to be eating something out of corn husk in the fall is blast anyway I think..so I always bring extras to share .."my diet food" !!!!

here is my chorizo recipe with Sunsets idea for wrapping and cooking

(I have no link the original recipe is not posted around anywhere sorry)

Chorizo (you can just make this and fry it up with your eggs in the morning ..very good!!!

3 lbs of good quality ground pork ..(grind your own or have a butcher do it ..land eave plenty of fat it in )

1 chipotle pepper in adobo minced fine (freeze the rest of the can for future it works fine!)
1/4 cup of good New Mexican chile powder
1 tsp of whole cumin seed (toast briefly)
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp oregano
2/3 cup good red wine vinegar
2 tbl of minced dried onions
6 cloves of smashed garlic
2 tsp of Kosher salt

mix all of this up well like a meatloaf and put into an airtight container or bag in the fridge over night

next day take about 1/3 package of corn husks (the quantity seems or vary)

soak them and clean them off ..then rip some of them up into strips for tying

take about a medium sized meatballs worth of pork mixture and then make a log out of it wrap the corn husk around the meat and tie each end

when you have all the meat wrapped put them on a tray in a 350 oven for about 30 min or you can do these on the grill turning frequently

when they are done serve them in the wrappers with sour cream and light salsa

enjoy!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-07, 18:18

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Heidihi, this sounds yummy too! I now have 2 super recipes to take to my daughter & sil - I've also printed out the squash curry recipe for them. They're both slim but sil has IBS and suspects wheat &/or gluten intolerance so I'm sharing a lot of recipes from this site. And they LOVE curries & peppers.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 01:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I am counting the Squash Cake recipe as a success even though I had some execution issues. Despite that, the flavors were spot on.

Ingredients:

The meat from 1 acorn squash (baked with butter and sprinkled with erethyritol or other sweetener)

1 lb sausage or ground meat seasoned with garlic, fennel, and pepper (browned)

4 large eggs

1/2 cup grated romano or parm. cheese

1/2 cup chopped baby portobello mushrooms

1/2 cup almond or hazelnut meal

OPTIONAL: ground cheyenne pepper to desired hotness

Mix it all up, form into cakes (think crab cakes) and bake. Flip halfway through. Sprinkle the top with your favorite cheese while still hot.

I tried to panfry this...making it more like a pancake, but the batter is too dense for that. Since I was short on time, I put the rest in a casserole dish. This recipe appears to be one that is so flexible, you can swap out the meat or type of squash to make it fit what you have on hand.

I look forward to seeing what other variations may pop up. Ok everyone, get out your spatulas!!!

Muffin Cups. Instant Autumn Lunch Pack! ...and for some reason, bacon fat comes to mind...

Awesome mixture.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 02:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

No curry or squash in it, but this has always been a family favourite, over and above all the other lovely traditional dutch foods I also adore, and it's definitely the season for it now the cool is coming on...

Quote:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Haché

Recipe By : Jude, IslandGirl
Serving Size : 4
Categories : Beef, Entrees, Ethnic & Holiday

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 lb. stew meat -- or round steak cut into 1" cubes
2 Tbsp bacon fat -- or cooking oil
4 whole medium onions -- chopped {downright decadent!}
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour {I just leave it out, then thicken a TINY bit with some not/Starch if needed; could use CarbQuik}
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 whole bay leaves
5 whole cloves -- broken, or 1/2 teas. powdered cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce {I always add extra}
2 cup hot water -- or beef stock, more if needed*
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 whole boiled potatoes -- OPTIONAL {I like turnip or fauxtatoes}

Sauté the onions in oil or grease until they are softened and golden, then put them in a large (2 1/2 quart) dutch oven with an ovenproof lid. In the original pan with some fat left in it, sear and brown the meat, then add to the onions. Sprinkle the meat mixture with the flour and stir thoroughly til fairly evenly coated.

Stir in the vinegar, bay leaves, cloves, salt and worcestershire sauce, then pour in the hot water or beef stock, just to cover.

Cover, bring to a boil then immediately turn down to a simmer, and simmer 2 hours or until meat is fork tender. Skim off any excess fat, taste for salt.

Set the potatoes to boil about a half hour before the stew is estimated to be done. Serve over the hot boiled potatoes, topped with the parsley.

Description: "a warmly spicy Dutch stew, traditional 'winter' food"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving: 839 Calories; 55g Fat (59.6% calories from fat); 65g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 233mg Cholesterol; 1034mg Sodium.

NOTES : Potatoes not included in nutritional calculations.

#39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 05:12

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Uuuummmmm baacccooonnnn fffaaattttttttt......drrrrrooooolllll
(Sorry, that was the closest I could get to a Homer Simpson imitation)
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-07, 09:02

Plan: Atkins/General Low Carb
Stats: 265/213/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I got my October issue of Southern Living Magazine yesterday. They had the neatest thing in it. They had taken a huge pumkin, cut the top off, culled out the meat and seeds. Then they took a 2 gal. zip top plastic bag and lined the bottom and sides of the pumpkin. Then they filled it with crushed ice and assorted beverages. They called it a "Pumpkin Cooler". How "cool" is that! I think I may have a "weenie roast" in my backyard when it gets cool and make this pumpkin cooler. The kids will love it too!

That also reminded me of my friend who hosts bunco every October. She always makes her "stew in a pumpkin". She cuts the top off the pumpkin and hulls out the insides and then puts her beef stew in it and bakes it in the oven. It is such a beautiful presentation and makes us all feel so "autumnal"!
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 09:50

BF:

dairy rung now and made a no bake ricotta pumpkin cheese cake with lots of fresh lemon juice and grated ginger ...

that will forever be in my fall menu a new tradition low carb not too much sweetener and really really good ..the lemon ginger and pumpkin are perfect together and a nice change from the same old same old of pumpkin and cinnamon!

I am going to enjoy this one again for Halloween and decorate it like a jackolantern I think just to entertain myself

seems like we went from summer to winter with out an autumn here!!!

where did my recipe go I thought I posted it
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 09:59

BF:

ok phew here it is

1 package of knox gelatine softened in 1/4 cup water
juice of 2 lemons and about 1 tsp of grated lemon peel
1 inch of fresh ginger grated
mix the lemon the peel and the ginger together and set aside

in the bowl of a food processor or a stand mixer ..beat together the following until they are smooth and creamy no lumps
6 packets of sweetener (I used 3 splenda and 3 cyclamates)
1 8 oz block of cream cheese softened
1 cup of whole milk ricotta
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 tbl good vanilla

then put the lemon juice above on the gelatin and nuke for a min on high until dissolved and boiling

pour this over the cream cheese mixture slowly while still beating hard so the gelatin mixes in completely with the cream cheese pour into a sprayed cheesecake pan and chill well

sorry no crust I am not at the nut rung ..this was perfect with out any garnish but you could top with minted whipping cream and that would be insane!!!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 15:37

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Diva
I have yet to find a low carb recipe for good gumbo!

I have this low carb Cajun cookbook and everything I've tried has been delicious.
You'll find gumbo and much more here.

http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Low-car...91706458&sr=1-3
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-07, 15:47

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Heidi! Your recipes look great. I'm definitely going to try a couple. Thanks for posting them.
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Oct-07-07, 07:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Heidi! Your recipes look great. I'm definitely going to try a couple. Thanks for posting them.

thank you it is my pleasure to share!

here is a wonderful hearty and richly fatty low carb and induction friendly soup for the fall season

this soup can be made as CHIPOTLE CHEDDAR OR GREEN CHILE CHEDDAR either way or mix and match!

Chile and Cheese Soup

1/4 cup of unsalted butter
1 onion small dice
1 red bell pepper diced
3 minced garlic cloves
1 heaping tble of New Mexican red chile powder
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of pumpkin puree
1/2 small can of chipotles in adobo pureed (freeze the other half for later) for Green chile cheddar use 2 cups of roasted green chiles diced (more or less I like more chiles in this!)
1 cup of heavy cream
2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese (Tillamook if you have it works perfectly for this)
1 cup sharp cheddar (you can mix and match your favorite cheeses as well no hard rules here)

couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce

saute onion and garlic until translucent in the butter add the spices saute a few seconds to release the aromas .....then the chicken broth next whisk in the pureed pumpkin
heat to a boil then reduce to a high simmer...
add the other ingredients in order wisk it well ...do not boil ...just ease them into hot broth until the cheese is melted into the soup be careful or it will break

Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste ..garnish with cillantro and a dollop of sour cream

my whole family adores this soup