Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 17:20

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
of course, that picture is at least a couple of years old.. just sayin...

LOL Freddy

Not many pics of him out there, as far as I can see, though if I had to guess, he's still probably still in shape.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 17:26

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
LOL Freddy

Not many pics of him out there, as far as I can see, though if I had to guess, he's still probably still in shape.

He just better be... It would end up being another kimmer story.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 17:31

Oh NO!!!! The original kimmer saga has done enough to turn LC Land into Days of Our Lives.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Sep-22-07, 23:38

Plan: ANA meets BFL
Stats: 205/153/155 Male 5'7"
BF:36%/10%/10%
Progress: 104%

The thing that Mr. Colpo doesn't appear to understand is that most people can self publish a book, and literally anyone can put out an ebook. They might have value in the minds of the people who spend the time and effort putting the ebook together, but in the minds of the consumer, an ebook has virtually no value. An ebook is not a book, it's just an electronic file. A book is a physical object. To the consumer, the value is in the actual physical product.

Adding to that, a big reason "popular" books continue to sell more and more copies is availability. Having a real publisher allows the physical product to be available where the people are. They get to actually take a look though it before making a purchase decision. This makes for an informed choice. A pitch of "trust me I know what I'm talking about, buy my ebook" doesn't help at all.

Take a look at all the diet and nutrition books on store shelves, not just at book stores, but at grocery stores, department stores, and big box/club outlets. There's a lot of them out there, and not all of them are good. Even some name brand authors put out some terrible books. It seems like they'll let just about anyone write a diet book. So the subconscious question in the consumers mind becomes, "if books this bad can get a publisher, how bad does a book have to be in order to not be able to get one?"
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 04:18

That's all potentially true, bsenka, but you can also see that his The Great Cholesterol Con was quite good, in many people's opinion, so he does have a track record of "producing". Maybe his ego demanded that he go it alone, or maybe the Fat Loss Bible stinks lol, I don't know. I don't plan on buying it.
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 09:11
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Oh NO!!!! The original kimmer saga has done enough to turn LC Land into Days of Our Lives.

You will be won over to the soap opera side...oh yes, you will...mwa ha ha

His first book is in print, but this second one isn't? Strange. I have his first one as an ebook, and it actually peeved me off bc it's in a format that can't be copied or moved easily, so taking it with me to read was difficult (unlike other ebooks that acted like any other file). Colpo seems to be viewing the world from a defensive stance, as if he feels quite put upon and potentially under attack at any moment. Also like he's done enough for us little people, and it's time for him to get his.

Sorry Daryl, but he really is a little bit Kimmer Better abs tho'
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
You will be won over to the soap opera side...oh yes, you will...mwa ha ha

His first book is in print, but this second one isn't? Strange. I have his first one as an ebook, and it actually peeved me off bc it's in a format that can't be copied or moved easily, so taking it with me to read was difficult (unlike other ebooks that acted like any other file). Colpo seems to be viewing the world from a defensive stance, as if he feels quite put upon and potentially under attack at any moment. Also like he's done enough for us little people, and it's time for him to get his.

Sorry Daryl, but he really is a little bit Kimmer Better abs tho'

........ must.... resist........ drama.......

Colpo does come across just like you say, Tracy. Look at this:

Quote:
Given that poultry is relatively high in polyunsaturated fat, shouldn't you avoid it if you take your arguments against unsaturated fat seriously?

Quote:
I'm not sure I like the tone that's coming across in your posts. If you wish to remain on this forum, please word your questions to me in a manner that does NOT insinuate that I am a hypocrite. For the record, I take my research and my writings VERY seriously. I also take my own health VERY seriously. Lifter and anyone else who knows me personally will readily verify that I don't just "practice" what I preach...I LIVE it.

Yikes!

Edited to add the link to his forum where the above transpired:

http://www.lowcarbmuscle.com/forums...php?t=59&page=2

Last edited by Daryl : Sun, Sep-23-07 at 09:58.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 09:57

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
........ must.... resist........ drama.......

Colpo does come across just like you say, Tracy. Look at this:

Yikes!

#84   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 12:30

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

In a BBC show earlier this year, they showed that calcium can reduce how much fat is digested. Therefore, the equation could be better written as:

Calories in = Calories burned + Calories out the other end.

Perhaps the amount of cheese in the Low Carb diet helps.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 15:36

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:

I can almost understand why Colpo's so hypersensitive. Anytime anyone comes anywhere near criticizing him on lowcarbmuscle, he probably can't help but wonder if the guy's going to turn out to be Fred Hahn. Again.

I'm glad noone's accused Colpo of steroid use here. Colpo's results look within plausible natural physiological limits to me.

I'd guess Colpo's book would be a hard sell; he has to convince people to exercise a lot more and eat a lot less. Dr Phil and Oprah can sell a book like that, it's a pretty hard go without their kind of star power.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 16:31

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

There is being hypersentive and there is flying off the handle in blind rage. I think that anyone who put themselves out there in the public eye should develop a thicker skin. It's a sign of maturity.
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 16:40

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I can almost understand why Colpo's so hypersensitive. Anytime anyone comes anywhere near criticizing him on lowcarbmuscle, he probably can't help but wonder if the guy's going to turn out to be Fred Hahn. Again.

not sure I follow? I'm pretty sure Fred hasn't been back to AC's forum since he was banned awhile back...

He did post a couple times very recently on his blog explaining quite clearly where he and AC disagree on training methods, among other issues...

Fred's original post:

http://slowburn.typepad.com/my_webl...is-anthony.html

Fred's response to AC's retort

http://slowburn.typepad.com/my_webl...o-counters.html

I'm still waiting for AC to respond again, Fred did an excellent job taking his arguments apart, point by point.

Regarding Anthony's results, I am surprised that he talks so much about massive muscle gains. He is quite lean, but for a guy who's been training for 20 years or whatever it is, he doesn't seem to have much muscle.

The simple fact is, he could have easily gotten the same build by taking Fred's advice, ditching the 45 minutes plus six days a week in the gym in favor of two or three 30 minute routines.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 10:52

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:

Quote:
not sure I follow? I'm pretty sure Fred hasn't been back to AC's forum since he was banned awhile back...

Yeah, but how does Colpo know that? Fred Hahn did show up under a pseudonym to start with, which is fine with me, believe it or not Teaser isn't actually my real name. But he showed up under the pseudonym to sell a product, to attest to the effectiveness of his own program. Fred's no Kimmer, but I'd say he was at least stretching the envelope a bit with his behaviour.

Bodybuilding's all about reaching individual physique potential. (Or should be.) I don't think you can point at any one man's muscle mass and use it to prove a point about training methods. That goes for Hahn and Colpo. And Colpo does claim to have tried every training method there is. Some part of that twenty years may have been largely ineffective. A lot of Colpo's progress could have been fairly recent.

Anyone checked out the new opening page over at lowcarbmuscle? Fred's got Colpo so excited, he'd rather post a picture of Fred's face than those abs he's so proud of.

I don't want to sound like a Colpo worshipper, I mean if Regina Wilshire was kicked off his forum, well, I can't imagine that she was rude enough to warrant it.
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 11:50

Plan: CKD/Carb Cycling
Stats: 240/231/220 Male 5'7"
BF:19.7%/15.3%/10%
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Regarding Anthony's results, I am surprised that he talks so much about massive muscle gains. He is quite lean, but for a guy who's been training for 20 years or whatever it is, he doesn't seem to have much muscle.

I agree Mr. Freddy. Guy weighs I believe somewhere in the neigborhood of 170-175. Big deal. Hey, get to 200+ pounds NATURALLY with those kind of abs/bodyfat and then I will be impressed.

Quote:
Bodybuilding's all about reaching individual physique potential. (Or should be.) I don't think you can point at any one man's muscle mass and use it to prove a point about training methods. That goes for Hahn and Colpo. And Colpo does claim to have tried every training method there is. Some part of that twenty years may have been largely ineffective. A lot of Colpo's progress could have been fairly recent.

And so, I will recant slightly on what I said about AC. Maybe he has hit his potential. Check out my stats/goals. When I achieve them, I would think anyone would be reasonably impressed. But so what when all is said and done. I clearly have above average genetic potential (for size anyway, not so much re: my fat distribution) which along with $1.98 will get me a Starbucks Grande. I don't even know what the inside of a gym looks like anymore. I train solely at home. You know, the late legendary bodybuilding guru, Vince Gironda, back in the 60's and 70's often had his trainees at his gym do pretty well nothing but pullups/chinups/dips. And that is all I do. I can assure you when you are lifting over 220 pounds as I am, those classic bodyweight moves are brutally tough. And yes, I have done them very slowly ala Fred Hahn. To each his own.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 13:59

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Yeah, but how does Colpo know that? Fred Hahn did show up under a pseudonym to start with, which is fine with me, believe it or not Teaser isn't actually my real name. But he showed up under the pseudonym to sell a product, to attest to the effectiveness of his own program. Fred's no Kimmer, but I'd say he was at least stretching the envelope a bit with his behaviour.

Fred always uses Serious Strength as his forum name, on various boards, on his own board for instance. I couldn't expect AC to know that, but this is a really petty criticism. And yes, he has a book to sell. So what? These are just petty arguments from AC, distracting from the fact that he booted Fred off of his forum simply for disagreeing with the mighty AC.

Quote:

I agree that there's no real point in comparing two guys physiques, but heh heh, AC started it! He tried to criticize Fred's results, when, from all I can tell, his own results are not so impressive. He really could have gotten the same results on Slow Burn or any similar HIT approach. AC claims to know how to get maximum size results, but based on that one picture anyway,his results are no better than a typical HITer achieves.

Quote:
A lot of Colpo's progress could have been fairly recent.

I doubt that. Anyone following any decent strength training program, whether it be high volume like Anthony, or HIT like Fred, ought to be at or near their maximum size/strength within a year or two. And certainly after 20 years. Unless he was really really wasting his time...

Quote:
Anyone checked out the new opening page over at lowcarbmuscle? Fred's got Colpo so excited, he'd rather post a picture of Fred's face than those abs he's so proud of.

on my way over there now...