Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 09:04
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Time magazine: Can a High-Fat Diet Kick Cancer?

Quote:
Since early 2007, Dr. Melanie Schmidt and biologist Ulrike Kammerer, both at the Wurzburg hospital, have been enrolling cancer patients in a Phase I clinical study of a most unexpected medication: fat. Their trial puts patients on a so-called ketogenic diet, which eliminates almost all carbohydrates, including sugar, and provides energy only from high-quality plant oils, such as hempseed and linseed oil, and protein from soy and animal products.

What sounds like yet another version of the Atkins craze is actually based on scientific evidence that dates back nearly 80 years. In 1930, the German Nobel laureate Otto Warburg first published his observations of a common feature he saw in fast growing tumors: unlike healthy cells, which generate energy by metabolizing sugar in their mitochondria, cancer cells appeared to fuel themselves exclusively through glycolysis, a less-efficient means of creating energy through the fermentation of sugar in the cytoplasm. Warburg believed that this metabolic switch was the primary cause of cancer, a theory that he strove, unsuccessfully, to establish until his death in 1970.

Continued:

http://www.time.com/time/health/art...=rss-topstories
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 10:21

Plan: parts of them all
Stats: 181/166/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:25%/9%/12%
Progress: 94%

Great content. But I wish they'd tweak the focus a little to more accurately match the experiment. Fat is not the medicine. The prescription is getting rid of starch.

"Hold the Potatoes to Beat Cancer?"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 10:27

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Very interesting and I think exciting. It is so hard to watch a loved one waste away from a cancer that you can do nothing about that it is life-scarring. To think ther is hope in somthing as simple as out diet is, indeed, exciting.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 10:47
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I think a ketogenic diet and possibly frequent fasting can reduce the risk of cancer by strengthening the immune system. If the theory is correct that cancer cells commonly appear, but are immediately marked for destruction by the immune system like virus infected cells are. Cancer occurs when the killer T cells or some other mechanism weakens.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 13:11

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 205/175/165 Male 72 in
BF:29%/24%/22%
Progress: 75%

Here's is a deeper explanation of the effect.
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...3-no04-pg2.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 13:21

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

it kinda makes me sad that the "authorities" have ignored all this evidence over the years.

Imaine a world where the authorities all advised us to eat something alone the lines of Paleo, and the low-fat "craze" is always mocked in the media. My parents -mom died from colon cancer, dad from Parkinsons-might still be alive and healthy in that world. I'd imagine lots of moms and dads that are no longer with us would still be alive.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 13:22

Plan: Atkins/IF-21/3 or 19/5
Stats: 268/241/170 Female 5'7"
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 28%

I recently watched my MIL die from cancer not a pretty thing!
All the latest research is pointing to the fact that refined and processed foods are definitely bad for us,Thanks for the reading material that backs that up!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 13:53

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

I have read this "sugar feeds cancer" stuff the web for years, but doesn't our liver just make glucose anyway?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 14:30

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

everyone needs to read Gary Taubes new book, he covers all the diseases of civilization of which cancer is one and how clinical research dating back to the turn of the 19th century has been suppressed when it shows that all the major diseases of the western world can be prevented/treated by removing common denominator of them all...high carb diets.

extremely enlightening to say the least.

i have zero affiliation BTW, just got my copy and feel the need to express how important this formerly hidden information is and how intelligent people need to see it for themselves.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-07, 15:11

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Squarecube thats a valid point. Blood glucose stays pretty stable even when we eat almost no carbs. When we eat carbs we do get a spike but it goes down fairly quickly. So to say that we can starve cancer cells by depriving them of glucose, is not terribly accurate in my opinion.

I think the part of low carbing that most affects the appearance of cancer, is that it greatly decreases inflammation throughout the body. I think a lot of cancers start out in places where inflammation is chronic, which leads cells to undergo changes that wind up as cancer. Without the chronic inflammation, your cells are less likely to mutate to begin with. Plus, instead of your immune system constantly attacking all sorts of fairly benign things (like pollen grains in your sinuses), it is free to attack cancer cells more vigorously.

The aspect of decreased inflammation also applies to artery disease, since plaque is thought to be sort of a "scab" over sites of inflammation. Without the source of inflammation, which is carbs in blood and/or insulin and its effects, you have no need to form the plaque.

Its scary just how important it is to eat how we are adapted to eat. Proper nutrition in the form of LC, is truly a key to health in almost every way there is. The concept of fasting also follows along the same inflammation model, and may actually enhance results in conjunction with LC. But there you are having to sacrifice more quality of life than by simply adopting LC. Its a personal decision of course, but I've sort of chosen to LC and not worry too much about regular fasting. Though I have given up breakfast to do some small bit of it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 09:30

Plan: Atkins/IF-21/3 or 19/5
Stats: 268/241/170 Female 5'7"
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 28%

Deb

What is Gary Taubes new book called??

Tom I agree with you on how cancer gets started and I am appaled by all the disinformation we are being fed about cancer.
I spent weeks in the cancer clinic and there are so many people who are afflicted with this disease it is almost epidemic!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 11:25
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreJunk
Deb

What is Gary Taubes new book called??

Good Calories, Bad Calories

You can probably do a search with his name and find it. It is being released in the US on Sept. 25, and I thought in Canada it wasn't supposed to be until Oct. sometime, but deb34 got her copy already.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 14:11

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Deb34, I'm jealous. You got your book!

In DANDR, Atkins did make mention that cancer cells feed on sugar. Dr Lutz, in Life Without Bread, also made the same mention- only he carried the notion further and reported on the 24 or so breast cancer patients he had cared for over a 25 year period. If I remember correctly, all but 1 of those patients were still alive. Not a lot of people true, but yet another "check" to put on the low carb side. This is a real Dr treating real patients, not some conjured, biased, flaky study.

It was my understanding that the liver can only produce (glucogenesis) about half the glucose (50 or 60 grams at most?) required by the "organs that require it" per day. The other half should come from food. Which would mean that the normal amount of sugar circulating in the blood (5g?) wouldn't be enough to feed cancer cells after the number one priority organ (brain) got it's share.

I don't know how much sugar circulates around in the blood when eating a high carb diet, but I'll bet it's a heck of a lot more than 5g.

Of all the people I've ever known to have cancer (father, brother, MIL, aunt, uncle, etc) NONE of them ate a low carb diet. What those people ate (even just for breakfast) amounts to at least 2 cups of sugar per day. I am guilty of making my dad giant stacks of pancakes, of making dozens of donuts, of making my MIL giant crusty NY Kaiser rolls with Lyle's golden syrup.

Talk about the dark ages...
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 14:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I saw an episode of Mystery Diagnosis once with a guy with an enormous, sugar-crazy, tumor. The problem was, the low-blood sugar caused by the tumor nearly killed him. Maybe it just depends on how large the tumor is, but if you had what he had and tried a low-carb diet, you'd probably die from the low blood sugar.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-07, 17:43
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
It was my understanding that the liver can only produce (glucogenesis) about half the glucose (50 or 60 grams at most?) required by the "organs that require it" per day. The other half should come from food.
In that case the argument we often hear "you must eat some carbohydrates to live" is true.