Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-08, 07:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/114/110 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hmm...have not tried shirataki noodles. Will get them this weekend. Does it come in plastic packaging?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 11:08

Stats: 125/120/110 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiadacarb
Hmm...have not tried shirataki noodles. Will get them this weekend. Does it come in plastic packaging?

yes, u will see them in the cold section near selling japanese food
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 20:51

Plan: DIY Low-Carb
Stats: 119/103.6/97 Female 153 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnalye86
come come teach me the best way to prepare shirataki noodles, i bought 1 pack from kl and don't wanna waste trying it and failed for the 1st time. in my hometown kk, frens also O.O the way i'm eating outside.

Hi jnalye86,

Hmm... Basically I soaked the shirataki noodles in hot water for 3-5 minutes (I myself do not know for sure how to prepare it. Did it by trial and error). Buy those ready made soups from Maggi. You only need to add water and an egg. Cook the soup according to the steps shown on the packet. Throw in your noodles about 1 minute before you turn off the stove.

I tried making pasta with mushroom sauce using the shirataki noodles, but I've got to admit, it can never ever replace the normal semolina or durum pastas...

I guess it is more suitable used in Asian recipes. The texture is more like our Laksa noodles, therefore simple soupy dishes would go well with the shirataki noodles. I have yet to try frying it with soy sauce (or marmite) and eggs. I hope it'll taste better

Good luck!
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-08, 21:35

Plan: DIY Low-Carb
Stats: 119/103.6/97 Female 153 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnalye86
come come teach me the best way to prepare shirataki noodles, i bought 1 pack from kl and don't wanna waste trying it and failed for the 1st time. in my hometown kk, frens also O.O the way i'm eating outside.

Hi jnalye86,

Hmm... Basically I soaked the shirataki noodles in hot water for 3-5 minutes (I myself do not know for sure how to prepare it. Did it by trial and error). Buy those ready made soups from Maggi. You only need to add water and an egg. Cook the soup according to the steps shown on the packet. Throw in your noodles about 1 minute before you turn off the stove.

I tried making pasta with mushroom sauce using the shirataki noodles, but I've got to admit, it can never ever replace the normal semolina or durum pastas...

I guess it is more suitable used in Asian recipes. The texture is more like our Laksa noodles, therefore simple soupy dishes would go well with the shirataki noodles. I have yet to try frying it with soy sauce (or marmite) and eggs. I hope it'll taste better

Good luck!
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 11:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elybot

Hi jnalye86,

Good luck!

thanks! it would help alot
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 08:28

BF:

Hv not bought the noodles yet. So busy at work no time to shop. BTW, how much carb per packet? I have strayed away from the diet after hitting plateau for a while. Still can't get rid of the last 4 kg. Too lazy to exercise. So gotta go on a 3 days langsung no carb to get back into ketosis. Wish me luck
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-08, 03:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiadacarb
Hv not bought the noodles yet. So busy at work no time to shop. BTW, how much carb per packet? I have strayed away from the diet after hitting plateau for a while. Still can't get rid of the last 4 kg. Too lazy to exercise. So gotta go on a 3 days langsung no carb to get back into ketosis. Wish me luck

about 3-4g carbs per packet but they r soluble fibre, which means they are totally 0g carbs
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-08, 09:07

BF:

Noted, thank you,
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-08, 21:09
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 10/12/12 Female 56
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, I see that some of you are from HK. I'm trying to get my mom to start eating LC since she's insulin resistant / pre-diabetic. I try to explain all the information that I've found online, from books (Protein Power, Good Calories Bad Calories), etc. but my ability to explain scientific information in Cantonese isn't all that great

Could any of you recommend any sources about the benefits of this lifestyle in Chinese? Are there any online resources in Chinese that I can print out? Or are there any LC books in Chinese available in HK? I can always just ask my relatives to pick up a copy for me and send it to the US.

I would really appreciate any help you guys can give. I'm really worried about my mom's health and I just don't know how to get the information through to her. Thanks!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 20:11

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Can your mom read Chinese? You might want to look at this site from the HK Diabetes Assoc.
http://www.diabetes-hk.org/b5_nutrition-main.asp

You might want to go here too - info. in Chinese on diabetes from the Govt.
http://www.info.gov.hk/elderly/chin...s/dmdiets-c.htm

I don't really know myself (I read English) but maybe ask your relatives to visit a Chinese Bookstore like The Commercial Press?
  #56   ^
Old Tue, May-27-08, 19:40

Plan: Meat and Veggies
Stats: 277/259.9/190 Male 185
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi, I just want to add myself to the Asian low carbers list. I'm in Thailand doing the low carb thing.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 00:41

BF:

Hi, I back after a long hiatus. Welcome MrBuffalo...to the LC enthusiast. I have not been lowcarbing for like 3 months...hmmm...have been stuffing my face and I have put on 2 kg...urgh.Too many festivities, friends and families visiting from overseas...sigh...sometimes pressured to eat. So gotta go back to induction...yet to try the noodles.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 05:15

Stats: -/-/- Male 181
BF:
Progress:

Hey all, i'm in Malaysia LC'ing. Been lowcarbing for about 2 weeks now. Just adding my name to the list.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-08, 19:43

Stats: 210/200/160 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitRaTe
Hey all, i'm in Malaysia LC'ing. Been lowcarbing for about 2 weeks now. Just adding my name to the list.

Hi Nitrate , I'm from Malaysia too. How do you find lowcarbing in Malaysia? easy ,difficult or expensive? first time?

I live in PJ, Msia
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 02:28

Stats: 155/146/100 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I stopped low-carbing after Chinese New Year in Feb and all my hard work is gone!!! I have just started low carbing again this Tuesday. Wish me luck!