Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 04:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 125/120/110 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

hmm weight watchers not so low carb, more like low fat eh. too bad i can't find shirataki noodles and breakthru bread here. yes yes Jell-O sugar-free is yummo~ i finally found soy flour frm Bob's red mill good for baking, but still hard to find almond flour tho =/

yea splenda, they even hav granular, half slenda half sugar, brown splenda sugar and coffee blend. maybe u should try those selling "imported" local supermarkets (especially u find foreign residents would like to do their groceries there) coz even cold storage don't have them. I remember there's one in bangsar village, try looking there.

i guess there's always not everything available at a place.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-07, 19:39

Stats: 145/114/110 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi Rotijohn
When I did induction I was very very strict...if I eat out it is always western minus the trimmings and gravy. No fruits...no low carb products...or sugar free stuff...just meat and allowed veggie. Very effective.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-07, 19:44

BF:

Thanks for info, Marmite...keep them coming
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-07, 21:13

Stats: 210/200/160 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiadacarb
Hi Rotijohn
When I did induction I was very very strict...if I eat out it is always western minus the trimmings and gravy. No fruits...no low carb products...or sugar free stuff...just meat and allowed veggie. Very effective.

Yeah I think I should stick to meat and veggies strictly too to get faster and better results ( isnt it healthier anyway? lol ) Quite fustrating that sugar free mayo is a pain to find....know any atkins OK brands?

Ive been to Village Grocer in Bangsar, yes its great for variety. I think I 'll have a good browse there over the weekend.

I need to revise my shopping list to include more inexpensive meats. I think i'll to my meat/veggie shopping at a hypermarket and my fats/oils/mat salleh products at the expat supermarkets...
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-07, 07:46

Stats: 157/144/130 Female 168
BF:
Progress: 48%

Kraft mayo is an Atkins ok brand. (though its not sugar-free)
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-07, 03:21

BF:

go for lady's choice "western recipe" mayo(maroon color label), it's lower carb than the original/real
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-07, 05:24

BF:

I find Tesco mayo very low carb
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-07, 03:23

BF:

how can i forgot about kewpie japanese mayo, the mascot is a baby and the bottle is soft to press, 0g carb!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 12:32

Stats: 137/137/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Default RE : Malaysian on lOw Carb dieting in UK.

AHA!! What luck! I'm really pleased to have stumbled across an Asian Low Carb discussion list! I hope to get some malaysian recipes as food here is soooo.....ooo boring-lah!

Hi everyone,

My hubby is on 3rd week Induction, and so far have lost 15 pounds. It was my search for Loh Bak (daikon) that led me to this thread. I can't help but think it must be so hard to do this in KL, with all the curry laksa, nasi lemak and lemang (I wonder can we eat rendang, considering it's all beef?)

Over here, it's easier as we just stick to mixed salad with whatever meat we're having, mostly Salmon as it's cheap here.

My homemade salad dressing, if anyone's interested.

Find a large coffee jar. Go to any supermarket and get "Sun Blush" or "Sun Dried" tomato. Stick the whole packet in (the more you put, the stronger the flavour you'll get) the coffee jar, stick some whole peeled garlic (according to how strong you like it) and top to the rim with olive oil (anytype will do). Make sure the tomato and garlic is submerged in the oil, otherwise they can go mouldy.

To make the dressing, I just pour out about 1 rice cup amount, a pinch of rough salt and some fresh ground (not powdered) black pepper. Just pour over whatever salad you have and toss it.

A favorite and versatile lunch I make for hubby to take to work is this salad with the allowed amount of cheese, shaved over or toss it with a can of plain tuna flakes, or if you have any roast chicken left over, toss it in. Or if yu have any curry chicken left over, omit the olive dressing, and just toss the salad with the chicken curry.

Another favourite is small Salmon or Mackerel (ikan kembung is very similar) lightly cut 2 cut, into the sides and rub with flavoured olive oil. Romaince lettuce, split in half, place on baking tray, drizzle with the same olive oil dressing and scatter small dash of salt over and baked in oven 160C until fish is cooked to a light brown colour but try not to over cook it as it can be like eating saw dust!

We don't eat Mayo which is a blessing. Because it's so cold lately, I've started making soup. We had Chinese egg drop soup with Spinach (Chinese call poh-choy). I've made sambal goreng terung to dress the salad for my hubby (doesn't seems to effect weight loss rate but then of course it was only 2 tablspoon of sambal to 2 fist full of salad). And yesterday, we had Bak Kut Teh with tofu pok (fried bean curd - no idea is this is allowed but if tofu is allowed on the Atkin's list, i supposed this is).

KFC (w/o skin) and Coleslaw is alway a good substitue when he's busy at work.

And also another favourite - Cauliflower Cheese. Get a decent size cauli, cut to florettes, and cook in boiling water for about 5 - 7 minute. The cauli has to be just cooked and tender(and not over cook as it's start to smell sulforous, not very nice). Place in a pyrex or corningware dish, grate any chedder cheese over, and place under pre-heated oven or medium grill for just 4 -5 minute. Lookout, the minute the cheese is melting, it'
s time to take out. Do not let it brown or otherwise your cauli will be chewy and dry. I've made cauli curry too, with just curry powder and chicken stock. I wasn't sure about coconut milk so I didn't add any. Again I served this with a side salad and grilled Salmon.

So what do you guys do when all those roti canai and soup kambing (can we have this?) is beckoning?

I' aiming to convert hubby to a more carb friendly diet after he achieve his weight target. I'm thinking of GI Diet and I can't really see us doing without our rice and noodles here, especially when it's so cold.

Best Wishes from,
MamaGecko
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-07, 20:14

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Greetings from Hong Kong, MamaGecko!

I'm not very familiar w/ Malaysian food or what's available in KL. My husband is in Phase-3 SBD and I'm in Phase 2 (11 months and counting - but I was fatter to start w/ ).

I do eat curry - Indian or Malaysian or HK-style. I just don't eat it w/ rice (usually eat over bok choi jai) and don't eat it w/ potatoes.

I think it's very important to find LC choices that are not bland and boring - especially if you're used to a spicy diet. From what I've read on this forum, a lot of Atkins people use coconut oil and coconut milk - you should probably check w/ them.

If you're thinking of converting your husband to a more "carb friendly" diet, you might also want to consider South Beach Diet - my husband and I have found it pretty easy to follow in Hong Kong - but that might be because Cantonese food lends itself well to SBD - lots of vegetables and in phase 2 - fruit as well.

re: cold weather & eating - I think Chinese Hot Pot would be great for Atkins people. Lots of hot chicken broth & dipping your meat and veggies.

Here's something on the web about a hot pot restaurant in KL http://malaysianfoodguide.com/2007/...hicken-hot-pot/

Keep posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGecko

I can't help but think it must be so hard to do this in KL, with all the curry laksa, nasi lemak and lemang (I wonder can we eat rendang, considering it's all beef?)

Over here, it's easier as we just stick to mixed salad with whatever meat we're having, mostly Salmon as it's cheap here.

So what do you guys do when all those roti canai and soup kambing (can we have this?) is beckoning?

I' aiming to convert hubby to a more carb friendly diet after he achieve his weight target. I'm thinking of GI Diet and I can't really see us doing without our rice and noodles here, especially when it's so cold.

Best Wishes from,
MamaGecko
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-07, 04:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGecko
AHA!! What luck! I'm really pleased to have stumbled across an Asian Low Carb discussion list! I hope to get some malaysian recipes as food here is soooo.....ooo boring-lah!

Hi everyone,

My hubby is on 3rd week Induction, and so far have lost 15 pounds. It was my search for Loh Bak (daikon) that led me to this thread. I can't help but think it must be so hard to do this in KL, with all the curry laksa, nasi lemak and lemang (I wonder can we eat rendang, considering it's all beef?)

hi mamaGecko~

i even take rendang during my induction and i did not gain, so far so good, now i'm in phase 2 hope to reach ideal weight b4 Christmas!
u can try "huang jiu" (chinese wine, yellow wine) chicken after induction.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-08, 06:42

Plan: DIY Low-Carb
Stats: 119/103.6/97 Female 153 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Hi all..

So glad to finally find a group of ppl in asia talking so much about low-carbing. In my circle, I'm the only one doing it.. sob sob. No one to share knowledge and infos with :P

Anyways, keep em' posts comin! I'll be reading

p/s: I am a shirataki noodle addict! Makes low-carbing a hell lot easier for many, yes?
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 03:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by elybot
Hi all..

So glad to finally find a group of ppl in asia talking so much about low-carbing. In my circle, I'm the only one doing it.. sob sob. No one to share knowledge and infos with :P

Anyways, keep em' posts comin! I'll be reading

p/s: I am a shirataki noodle addict! Makes low-carbing a hell lot easier for many, yes?

come come teach me the best way to prepare shirataki noodles, i bought 1 pack from kl and don't wanna waste trying it and failed for the 1st time. in my hometown kk, frens also O.O the way i'm eating outside.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 20:59

Stats: 210/200/160 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnalye86
come come teach me the best way to prepare shirataki noodles, i bought 1 pack from kl and don't wanna waste trying it and failed for the 1st time. in my hometown kk, frens also O.O the way i'm eating outside.

Hello jnalye86! Could you tell me where you bought the shirataki noodles in KL ? I would love to add some noodles to my low-carb lifestyle

I'm one of those people who really needs a low-carb life- not for weight loss but because blood-sugar swings have made me moody and nearly suicidal sometimes.

It seemed so crazy to believe that what I ate and how I felt were so related to each other. But once I tried ridding refined / junk / white / 'bad' carbs from my diet, it was as if a fog had lifted from my brain, I could think more clearly and my mood and energy improved...a lot.

I say 'tried' because it isnt easy for me to escape the carby food - one cheat and its on the roller-coaster again!

Anyone here doing low carb for reasons other than weight loss?
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-08, 03:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotijohn
Hello jnalye86! Could you tell me where you bought the shirataki noodles in KL ? I would love to add some noodles to my low-carb lifestyle

I'm one of those people who really needs a low-carb life- not for weight loss but because blood-sugar swings have made me moody and nearly suicidal sometimes.

It seemed so crazy to believe that what I ate and how I felt were so related to each other. But once I tried ridding refined / junk / white / 'bad' carbs from my diet, it was as if a fog had lifted from my brain, I could think more clearly and my mood and energy improved...a lot.

I say 'tried' because it isnt easy for me to escape the carby food - one cheat and its on the roller-coaster again!

Anyone here doing low carb for reasons other than weight loss?

at the cold section in jusco mid valley, i heard tesco have them as well.

well i not on atkins forever because i hardly regulate sodium intake in low carb and my hair is falling, alot. so i plan when i reach my ideal weight, i will "slowly" adjust back to normal meal and exercise. i don wanna be the "fuzzy" girl around