Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 00:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/153.2/110 Female 5'2"
BF:42%/40%/25%
Progress: 14%

Sorry but I mean durian hehe...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 02:37

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi LCC,

Well, I follow South Beach Diet, so I can do most of my shopping at the wet market w/ occassional visits to "pak gai" or Wellcome.

Problem is, the goods available vary so widely from shop to shop, even in the same chain.
For example, I go to one PnS to get low-fat cheddar, I go to another one to get the cheap Dairy Farm brand of cottage cheese and yoghurt (full fat).

Almonds - really gone up in price. Lately I have gone to the wet-market & bought plain cashews and roasted them at home.

Meat & fish & poultry - get at wet-market or super-market

Dairy (milk) - I buy the UHT skim, usually it's cheaper at my closest Wellcome than my closest PnS.

Fake sugar - some Wellcomes sell Sweet-nLow - my husband dislikes Equal.

Olive oil & Balsamic - bought a bunch at Jusco.

Veggies - usually at wet market except for Romaine - sometimes at Great in Kowloon Tong, sometimes at Jusco & a new place (too expensive for many items, but not lettuce) called "Marketplace" that just opened in Kowloon Bay.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 02:33
Registered Member

Hi HK Low Carb,

Wow, you have so much energy to go shopping! Well, I mostly eat out because I live alone with my two cats.

I live in Park Island and the closest Park n Shop does not have any good low carb goodies. Don't even have the ready made salads

I guess it's just too convenient in HK so I tend to eat outside.

For nuts, you may go to Gateway, it's a basement supermarket in Sheung Wan that sells US goods. You can get a big jar of mixed nuts for about HK$160, I mean really big jar. You will also find sugarless jello at Gateway, which used to be available in City Super but suddenly disappeared...

As for sweeteners, you may try "Kin Yi Fong", it's a "health shop" with orange logo in most MTR stations. You can get the 50-50 sweeteners, that's better than sweet n low. City Super also carries that brand but it's cheaper at "Kin Yi Fong". There are also some low carb cookies but then it's only available at City Super.

If you are a sweet tooth, then you must try the Sugarless Chocolate Truffle. I got it once at City Super but then it disappeared.

I try to cut down on these low carb snacks now but then I am "wai sik" hehe... Well keep in touch, OK?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 02:36
Registered Member

Hi HK Low Carb,

Wow, you have so much energy to go shopping! Well, I mostly eat out because I live alone with my two cats.

I live in Park Island and the closest Park n Shop does not have any good low carb goodies. Don't even have the ready made salads

I guess it's just too convenient in HK so I tend to eat outside.

For nuts, you may go to Gateway, it's a basement supermarket in Sheung Wan that sells US goods. You can get a big jar of mixed nuts for about HK$160, I mean really big jar. You will also find sugarless jello at Gateway, which used to be available in City Super but suddenly disappeared...

As for sweeteners, you may try "Kin Yi Fong", it's a "health shop" with orange logo in most MTR stations. You can get the 50-50 sweeteners, that's better than sweet n low. City Super also carries that brand but it's cheaper at "Kin Yi Fong". There are also some low carb cookies but then it's only available at City Super.

If you are a sweet tooth, then you must try the Sugarless Chocolate Truffle. I got it once at City Super but then it disappeared.

I try to cut down on these low carb snacks now but then I am "wai sik" hehe... Well keep in touch, OK?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 21:53

BF:

Hi LCC,

Lohgung & I like to shop and cook & make things for ourselves. Since we live in Sai Kung-CWB area, going to places like Sheung Wan & Central are not too convenient for us.

I think there is a Gateway, or something like that in Mong Kok - where my loh-gung has bought huge plastic jars of roasted nuts before. But, I've asked him to stop getting them, because having them in the house is too tempting.

The 50-50 sweetners are not really our cup tea. If we want a mixture, the Japanese "slim ups" are tatsy, but still too much sugar. In June I went to TST and got some Splenda at the CitySuper there.

Our strategy is to focus on whole foods as much as we can. We eat at home at least 5 days a week. We pack our own salads. But, this sort of life-style fits a middle-aged married couple w/ 2 kids and domestic helper.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-07, 05:59

Stats: 145/114/110 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi marmite.
Where do you get the shiratake noodles and flaxseed bread? Would love to have noodles...missing it a lot.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-07, 22:39

Plan: adkins
Stats: 188/188/130 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

the adkins soys tat a natural shrub it is called stevia. it should be sed as a pure white powder use in conjunction with a blend of other non caloric sweeetnersl shuld determime what sweetner agress with yousweetners such as sorbitol, mannitol and other hexitols are not premited nor are any natural swetners ending with the letters ose such as maltose, fructose, ect.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-07, 07:02

BF:

Hi Marmite
I found Stevia in a bottle in Giant Hypermart...very expensive RM15.99 for a small bottle. It is 0 carb. Bought it to use it in my marinate.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-07, 06:18

Stats: 125/120/110 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

psst psst, another Malaysian on atkins here.
Hello asian lowcarbers.

HEY i wanna know where to get shiratake noodles too and hold on, u mean Gardenia's breakthrough bread is low carb O.O

oh yea, Tiadacarb, hav u tried shop in cold storage or supermarkets specialize in import products? I found granulated splenda and granulated brown sugar as well , here in KK,Sabah. Which part of m'sia r u frm?
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 17:22

BF:

Stevia is good...0 carb and suitable for cooking. I'm from S'gor.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 19:42

BF:

Stevia is banned in HK. 4 years ago, the Food & Environmental Hygiene Dept removed food from shelves that had it.

http://www.fehd.gov.hk/safefood/rep...stevioside.html
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 16:57

BF:

Noted and thanks.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 08:38

Stats: 157/144/130 Female 168
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Tiadacarb,

Yeah, I saw stevia in Giant. Its not too pricey considering we only use just a pinch and its already very sweet. So one bottle can probably last quite sometime.

Shirataki noodles can be purchased at most Japanese supermarket like Jusco (Mid Valley) and Isetan (KLCC). The other day I made asam laksa with this noodle and it came out delicious! You should give it a try. Flaxseed bread I make my own using the recipe on this forum. But have you tried the Gardenia Breakthhrough bread? Was it too 'high' carb for you? I love to eat this bread with butter.

And if you are looking for any sugar free or low carb snack food like chocolates and cookies there's quite a decent range in Village Grocer supermarket in Bangsar Village. As for sugar free, really low carb peanut butter, theres this organic brand call Waltrose in Cold Storage.

There's Splenda is Sabah, wow. Wonder if there's such luck for us over here in KL...
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-07, 09:11

Stats: 210/200/160 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hello Asian Low-Carbers!

It's so great to read your posts, especially those from Malaysia I stay in the Kepong area , and recently re-started Atkins after a few tries of getting it right ( it's so simple and yet sometimes so tricky to be strict !) I used to eat way too many cooked veggies and then panic becuase I wasnt achieving the results + eating so much fat! Now I measure my cups of veggies with a rice cooker cup. No more confusion there :P

Sausages and burgers that are Atkins ok are so tricky to find. Ramli hotdogs and burgers though low carb contain fillers. Even Darabif , which claims to be 100% beef/lamb lists sugar as an ingredient. I'm seriously considering making my own!

My best experience on Atkins was FINALLY achieving ketosis- on Raya day! There was no mistake, I had a 'sweetish' taste in my mouth and had loads and loads of energy.When I was in London a few days after it was easy to stick to Induction- western types meals are okay without the spuds etc.

Unfortunately since about a month ago , I havent done very well and starting Induction again.

I used to enjoy sausages and eggs for breakfast ( no sausages now ) This morning I had omlette+mushrooms fried in butter with garlic. Lunch was pan-roasted chicken breast with gravy+ mayo salad w/ crispy chicken skin 'croutons'. Had some cheese for dinner with diet coke as I didnt really feel hungry.

Yes , I love my food! Could get more work done if i spent less time in the kitchen,lol.

I'd love to enjoy more Asian flavours .

As for shopping, I found that Jusco One Utama has Macadamia Nuts ( RM 15 for a tub-ouch ) Cold Storage has Weight Watchers sugar free Jello. I love Jello and cream! Yum!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 03:57

BF:

Hi Rotijohn,

A lot of Cantonese food can be made Atkins friendly (I'm not so sure about Malay).

- Fish - fry it w/out breading, or steam it & be very generous w/ the oil splashing on it.

If you're not Muslim - roast pork - enjoy the crackling skin

Roast duck

Roast goose (enjoy the oil!)

When you've climbed the carb ladder a bit - substitute loh-bah (daikon radish) for potatoes in curries and other dishes.

- Eggs, stir fried w/ tomato

- Fried shrimp

- roast mutton, curried mutton (no potatoes)

- Ma Po Tofu (Sichuan dish - lots of hot peppers and minced meat w/ tofu - very yummy)

I do South Beach, which may be easier to do in an Asian context, although once you've climbed the carb ladder" on Atkins, they start to be quite similar.

Well, I'm off to have supper now!