Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 22:20

Plan: Atkins or SugarBusters
Stats: 224/216/120 Female 5ft.
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default newish member & met

Hi All. Last week was my first post. I mentioned then that I was on a weight loss stall after LC x 1 wk. My internist started me on met 2/7. I have since lost FOUR
unbelievable lbs. in one wk. Had one night of diarrhea, none since. I take mine just after finishing supper. I average drinking about 2L of water/day. I don't know if it's the met or the met allowing the LC WOL to finally work, like a catalyst or something. But, at 46 years old, I feel better than I have in years. Mentally and physically. Who knows, if I would have been on this drug 20 yrs. ago, maybe I could have had more children or not ended up diabetic. But I'm thankful that I requested a referral to my internist. Maybe I'm avoiding a heart attack or amputation down the road. I've lost a total of ten pounds now, most of which has been a big struggle. Best to all.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 12:04

Plan: Ketogenic/85-90%Carnivore
Stats: 298/206/168 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have been on Met for about 6 months and the weight loss is a nice steady flow. I used to lose only 1/2 pound a week before Met; now I average about 2 lbs a week.
For me that is great!

One word about the side effects though; they do not always get better.

I started on 750 mg XR Met twice a day (morning and night). I had horrible diarrhea every other day or so. I felt queasy all the time. I felt like this for 5 of the 6 months I was on this dose. I never got better.

So I decided to just take only the 750 mg XR once a day(at night).
Side effects have improved at this lower dose.
I have noticed that on the higher dose that I had
NO appetite. Now I just have a reduced one. I have to watch myself a little closer now that a have a little appetite back.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 14:13
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

I used to take 1500 mg/day before I had kids... now I take 2550/day... doing ok so far
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-05, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: Southbeach
Stats: 220/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I quit taking any meds. I find that working out and diet work better. Infact I was having normal periods and got pregnant after many complications in the fall on 2003 with just working out 1 hr 4 times a week. Not everyone is the same but I can not stand the meds!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%

Curious about everyone's Metformin dosage. Does anyone know a maximum? I am starting to stall lately on my 2000 a day (1000 w/lunch, 1000 either w/dinner or before bed) and wonder if I should kick it up another 500. Also, anyone know the pros/cons of regular met vs XR?

As for upset tummy- I found that taking Metformin with milk REALLY helps.. doc says something about the protein in milk making it easier for the stomach to handle.