Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 15:37

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%
Default whey protein causing weight gain??

hoping someone can clear my confusion...

I take whey protein because due to "intestinal problems", I could not tolerate much more than protein, and because of the GLUTAMINE, as it helps repair my intestinal lining and tissue. I have been drinking 1 a day, but recently have become 'addicted' to the "eveil protein cookie/cake", and am eating too much...I know this. And, I know this must stop!

Anyway, I noticed on the container it states "DO NOT USE FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION". I went to the HFS today looking for an unflavored whey and it had the same statement. Hmm...could this be causing my stall...which is slowly turning into a gain???

My alternative medicine doc is helping greatly in repairing my weak immune system and gut, and I am now s-l-o-w-l-y starting to exercise again, but by NO MEANS to the extent that I used to, in fact what I am calling exercising now, I used to laugh at others when they would consider it actually working out. Guess I learned my lesson, huh?

Anyways, so I don't take the whey to repair muscle tissue, but for the reasons stated above, and...well because I love the taste! I'm wondering though, if it is causing weight gain. I felt it was "okay" as long as I stayed around 125gr of protein a day, but now I'm wondering if I'm sabatoging myself??

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

-Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 15:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Our bodies are all different. Whey protein could be a problem for you, or it might not be. Or maybe you're including the whey in too many items that are too high in carbs and/or fat, or that contain other foods that cause you to stall.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 15:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

If the calories you consume are more than the calories you burn, you will gain weight, even from protein.

BulkNutrition DOT com sells powdered Glutamine, with nothing added.

Almost all the containers of whey I've had said "DO not use for weight reduction", that doesn't mean anything.

Do some reading about nutrition.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 16:20
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

Is your whey protein sweetened? If so, with what? Many are sweetened with fructose and you may be having trouble with that.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 16:38

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Whey can also illicit an insulin response..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 02:13
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Yeah, what CVH and GSD said. If you're eating fewer calories than you burn, you will not gain fat, and be sure to check your powder's ingredient listing.

There's no magic to whey powder....it's just a protein source, like any other. However, if you are sensitive to dairy, you might have an inflammation response to whey, causing you to hold water, which would show an increase in scale weight. But remember, weight gain or loss does not necessarily equal FAT gain or loss.

Finally, if you're experiencing gut/intestinal problems right now, that could also cause you to hold water.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 06:39

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%

thanks for all your thoughts!

Yes, my whey is sweetened w/ sucralose and I am concerned that it is a trigger for me (either the sweetner or the whey).

Because of the enzymes in this product, and the emzymes I take, neither the dairy nor anything about this product, bothers me or causes inflammation

I try to stay btwn 1000-1500 cals a day, never go over 20gr of carbs, not to strict with fat, but try to limit protein to 125-135gr a day.

Yes, CVH, I know that if you take in more than you burn, you will gain...even with protein. I have a container of just glutamine.

Well...I know for a fact that some of this is water weight, I am VERY sensitive to sodium, and have overindulged...I can "feel" it. And, I know I must just put the whey container DOWN for now...it was becoming an evening dessert obsession for me...damn evil protein cookies!!

Julie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 10:25

Plan: Cyclical Keto
Stats: 167/162.5/150 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Whey can also illicit an insulin response..

this is the issue

whey should only be used just after workouts. switch to casein as a mrp, it digests slower.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 12:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/183/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 22%

I recently started using 1 scoop of whey in a fruit flavored (no sugar) drink for my breakfast. It says it has 3 gm carb and that's really all I looked at. I had no idea it might cause weight gain. I read somewhere that it might help with arthritis, and when I saw it was LC, I thought it would be a good powdered protein drink. Yikes! Where do I find the recipe for these 'evil cookies' you are referring too?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 21:19

Plan: whole foods, less carbs
Stats: 158.5/145.5/125 Female 62 in
BF:2 high
Progress: 39%

I'm just now learning about the (detailed) low-carb way of life, and I have questions on this same subject.
My take on the 'do not use for weight reduction' statement on whey protein labels was that it must be intended as a diet supplement, not a substitute because it lacks vital nutrients and fiber.
You know anything ending with 'ose' is a sugar. AND Stevia (the artificial sweetener) proved to be a powerful trigger for me and others I know. just for a heads up
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 17:54

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

most of those "not for weight reduction" disclaimers are intended to keep you from using it as a meal replacement for all your meals of the day because it is not fortified with appropriate vitamins and minerals - not that you cannot drink it if you are intended to lose weight.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 21:57

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 144/120/120 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

i always use whey protein as my suplemen,but i don't have any problems with that.whey is low in fat,n can build up my muscle....i've used whey for 4 years...but my abs always lean,it's prove that whey dont make me fat....
but if u eat calorie more than ur maintance calorie,of course it can make u fat...(sorry broken english)
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 14:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%

Finally somone seeing the light, yes yes yes you are right whey protein does cause weight gain.

When i was training serously to build muscles i used to drink three whey protein shake a day, with my regular meals and i was gaining fat, around the wast.

I went to the pro shop where i bough the protein and the guy told me that i was just not burning up the extra protein and thats why i was putting on weight.

What a lie, i did some research on HIV positive people and whey protein, theses studies are real it is quit true that whey protein does have some benefits on the immune system and this goes for chimotherapy has well it will promote weight gains.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 20:50

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyfat
..."whey dont make me fat....
but if u eat calorie more than ur maintance calorie,of course it can make u fat...(sorry broken english)"

Amen!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-07, 02:04
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeal31
Finally somone seeing the light, yes yes yes you are right whey protein does cause weight gain.

When i was training serously to build muscles i used to drink three whey protein shake a day, with my regular meals and i was gaining fat, around the wast.

I went to the pro shop where i bough the protein and the guy told me that i was just not burning up the extra protein and thats why i was putting on weight.

What a lie, i did some research on HIV positive people and whey protein, theses studies are real it is quit true that whey protein does have some benefits on the immune system and this goes for chimotherapy has well it will promote weight gains.

Actually, the guy at your pro shop was mostly right--if you're eating more than you need, or not burning off all you eat, you will gain weight. It doesn't matter if you overeat whey protein powder or chicken breasts.

If whey protein powder in itself caused weight gain, how can you explain the MANY people who use it while losing fat? I use it myself, and my fat loss is good and steady.