Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 09:08

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie 71
how about we get a third party involved to do a review?

it'd be an unbiased third party review? whaddayasay?

ChaseFreedom.com is a site that does reviews of diets - they have over 300 diets listed.

It's a good idea, but I don't know how much stock I would put in that particular site. Here's what they have to say about Atkins -

Quote:
The Atkins Diet and other low-carb plans have shown poor results in the long-term. Considering the health risks associated with the regimen, the Atkins Diet seems like a poor choice when there are so many sensible alternatives
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 09:16

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

that's too bad about what they said about atkins.

i guess if they're not lowcarb friendly, they might really rip into kimkins as being dangerous...it's way more strict than atkins.

and if that's the case, as much as i don't want to see "lowcarb" disparaged in any way....i'll personally be glad to see a negative review on kimkins...it can be way dangerous. i think it would get billed as more dangerous due to the low calories than low carbs, so i'm not too concerned about how it would affect the "low carb" name in the public's eye.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 11:11

Plan: My own
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 1 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Yeah KIKI....that thin air puts you in "fightin' shape" in no time eh? LOL

It does scare me how much the Kimkins diet can feed in to an eating disorder. I have a friend who fights against her ED on a daily basis. She is 6' tall and only about 145 lbs. It is a struggle for her to eat, but she is doing it...summer time is always rough for her due to other health problems, but she is determined not to fall in to that bad pattern again.

The blind devotion to Kimmer, that not wanting answers to legitimate questions...it is scary! I started calling those types "Kimtologists".

I do MUCH better in thin air up here, than when I go to the low lands and all the heavy air...

I'm so sorry about your friend.. It's a hard battle, but as long as she's trying and has people around her that care, she can succeed!!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 11:15

Plan: My own
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 1 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I wish people would understand that it's not the 'diet' that isn't good in the long term.. It's usually the person that goes back to making the wrong choices...

I agree, if doing all we can to help these people, means we have to take a shot, then so be it.. I don't like it, but for the sake of helping them and very probably saving lives, it's something we have to take that chance on...
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 12:21

Plan: Atkins fatfast->induction
Stats: 147/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Kiki

Well then this calls for a..

GO MODS! YOU ROCK!!!

One of the main reasons I've chosen this forum over any of the others is because I think the leaders of this board have shown such good judgment and sense of responsibility in the way they have maintained standards here.

Plus, I think the members are a cut above.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 12:32

Plan: Atkins fatfast->induction
Stats: 147/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Kiki

I agree, if doing all we can to help these people, means we have to take a shot, then so be it.. I don't like it, but for the sake of helping them and very probably saving lives, it's something we have to take that chance on...

I agree, and I think it is in our best interest for it to be we Low Carbers who are the ones who blowing the whistle.

KWIM?

It's going to make the news eventually, so we need to distance ourselves from it; aving it well known that it was LC people who exposed and fought it can only mitigate the shots we take. Make sense?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 12:37
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Marking my place in this thread.

Man...you go away for a bit and look what happens! Unbelievable.

And may I add...I love this site bc the ppl here are, as someone else already mentioned, a cut above.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 12:38

Plan: Following my own plan.
Stats: 294/218.0/160 Female 5'6
BF:40%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganMac
Fantastic stuff! I'm glad to see this especially after reading this story on another forum -

Story of a 25 year old woman on Kimkins -

This is just horrifying. Truly.. as the original poster said, the worst part was that the advice she was given was that maybe she was drinking too much water... no one suggested she see a doctor... :shakes head:

WTH I can't understand why people would listen to this fraud kimkins, She is not a doctor, why would anyone take her advice is beyond me I heard she suggests laxatives and diet soda instead of water, I see a huge lawsuit in her future.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 13:53

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I remember that desperation to lose weight. I remember feeling like garbage because I was fat but no matter what I did I was always hungry. I remember thinking if I couldn't lose, maybe if I gained 20 more pounds I could qualify to get my stomach stapled.

Now when I think back, I think the sick, wrong thinking was brought on by sugar and HFCS poisoning!

So in a way, I can understand why someone might see Kimkins as an answer to their prayers. Too bad the whole thing is a lie and the Kimkins diet is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Wifezilla : Mon, Jul-30-07 at 22:36.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 14:07

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee
I agree, and I think it is in our best interest for it to be we Low Carbers who are the ones who blowing the whistle.

KWIM?

It's going to make the news eventually, so we need to distance ourselves from it; aving it well known that it was LC people who exposed and fought it can only mitigate the shots we take. Make sense?

that's a good point!
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:16

BF:

You want to know what the scariest part is? I went to the Kimkins website just now to check out the success stories (since there are so many claims that they are bogus) and after reading a couple I WANTED TO GO BACK ON KIMKINS!! It's so alluring and sounds so easy!

While there I checked out the journal of someone who started around the same time I did back in February. She has reached goal and is in maintenance. I would be extremely jealous, but after checking her Fitday I see that she is averaging between 800 and 1,000 calories a day.

OMG!

Can she really eat this way forever?
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/240/165 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
but after checking her Fitday I see that she is averaging between 800 and 1,000 calories a day.

What is she eating? Or not eating? That sounds so low.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:37

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I would be extremely jealous, but after checking her Fitday I see that she is averaging between 800 and 1,000 calories a day.

OMG!

Can she really eat this way forever?

From the weight loss fitdays I have seen 800-1000 seems extremely high. Kimmer specifically states that if you are using the vegetarian option you should aim for no more than 1000 calories a day. But many of her flagship losers have fitdays that range from 300 (lowest I've seen) to 750 calories per day for weight loss. Most of them are looking to be in the 500 calorie range.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessrhi
What is she eating? Or not eating? That sounds so low.

Actually, that's high, considering the typical calorie range of Kimkins losers. Most eat around 300 - 500 calories. Her fitday includes eggbeaters, protein shakes, crystal lite, etc.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-07, 15:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cori
From the weight loss fitdays I have seen 800-1000 seems extremely high.

We cross-posted...I just said about the same thing. Yes, this is very high for the weightloss phase. This woman is in maintenance. I can't imagine eating like that forever.
Closed Thread