Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-13, 05:09

Plan: LF--modified
Stats: 220/220/160 Female 176 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default LC--Why start? Why give up?

Hi amandawald

I'm just curious as to why you gave up LC? I have been reading in your journal, but only have the first 5 pages read.

You certainly seem to be very enthusiastic about supplements. I take none, but 12 pills for AFIB, blood pressure, thyroid underfunction, anti-depression.

I know that I MUST finally start bicycling on my newly-bought stationary bike. I MUST lose weight. I MUST stop drinking wine every day/evening.

So--Why don't I??????

It is so simply and plain to see/feel/do,

I am the absolute queen of excuses and "tomorrow".

Now I feel like a loser because I don't simply start.

Today I say "Today!"--but it is only 9.00 am. I am thinking that maybe blogging and writing a journal, etc, may help.

We'll see...

Take care
r.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-13, 13:42

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Ragbus,

If I were you, I'd look into magnesium supplements to help you with those health problems.

For your thyroid to work properly, you need magnesium. For your heart to beat properly, you need magnesium. It can also help keep your blood pressure down and it can also help with depression. In fact, some say that depression can come from low magnesium in the first place.

I gave up LC because I ended up with low magnesium, but didn't realize for a while. I just had a whole bunch of symptoms that turned out to be what they call "adrenal fatigue", which, in my book, are basically all caused by low magnesium.

Like all diets where you lose weight fast, on a low-carb diet you also lose a lot of water initially - which is when people also lose minerals, especially magnesium, potassium and salt. I think this happened to me and then the magnesium wasn't replaced because the LC diet is not very high in magnesium (Atkins recommends supplementing with magnesium), certainly not in the initial stages of Atkins.

Eventually, I suffered from low blood sugar and was dizzy every morning. I switched to Schwarzbein and started taking magnesium supplements and looking after myself better.

Now I think I also have low thyroid function and LC just doesn't work for me because I end up with low blood sugar and feel really spacey.

Going very low-carb doesn't work very well for a lot of people who are hypothyroid, so I would really look into this carefully.

What are the 12 meds you are taking?

Good luck, though, whatever you decide to try!

Amanda
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-13, 01:37

BF:

Hi Amandawald

Good to hear from you. I would like to get into contact with somebody with experience in LC.

I am thinking of trying a combo of LC and Weight Watchers. To tell the truth, if I would just cut out the wine (1 bottle a day) and the chips (I don't need sweets and cake, etc.), I would be fine. Oh, yes, then cut down the amount of food I stuff into me with great pleasure--I LOVE food!!!!--but I need portion control!!! and then exercise daily and become more active--Oh, then I would be fine!

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda--that's me. Great plans, little go-through.

Now I've reached 104 kg, after getting down to 96. That is bad!

Now is the time to react, become active, carry through...

We all know these self-motivating speeches :-(

How much do you weigh?

I live with my husband, but he eats Müsli in the morning, raw vegetables at noon and German bread with huge amounts of sausage, herring in oil and cheese on it in the evening. I don't/may not cook for him. He does sports. He is German-disciplined. I am American-fat and undisciplined. It runs in the family... I was always the exception and want to be again!!!!

I WAS ALWAYS thin and active until I got depression 20 years ago. Then came the weight gain of 40 kg and the self-loathing. 2 years are totally cut out of my life, seen only through tears and grey, cut off from my family. Another 4-5 years followed in a fog. Now that is all under control. I have solved knee problems (had from childhood, but finally, finally diagnosed and treated correctly by a Prof at a Uni Hospital last year!) and am well-medicated for my heart, thyroid and depression. They are under control--but I do believe that I could cut meds if I were to lose weight. And my incontinence would also get better without the stomach fat and with more stomach muscle.

I am through with a long, somewhat stressful summer of company now. I have a quiet time until Christmas.

NOW is the time. There are no excuses!

So--What does that tell me in black and white? I MUST start NOW. Maybe I can type instead of eating ;-)

OK, I am going to follow your suggestion and put this into my own journal. Maybe it does help me to be accountable? Maybe it is fun and something to be proud of to record my small steps on the way?

The reason I want to try WW recipes is due to portion control and variety. I just fall back into my old staples and don't eat proper things and then way too much.

Still, I think LC certainly has its merits. I took off 20 pounds and became marvellously thin (57 kg at 176 cm :-)) ! ) in 1972. I did the very first Atkins with only 30 g KH. I loved the pork chops, but craved potatoes and vegetables. I also felt that it was unhealthy.

Now I am thinking of doing a moderate form. I think 60 KH would be much better, although slower, but I am much more likely to stay on it.

I don't think I have problems with sugar and KH, but when I eat a full bowl of oat müsli at 7.00, I am hungry at 9.30. Therefore, I think eggs would be better. Now I just have to get myself really enthused about them--and take the time (!!!!!) and effort to make them and all the other meals required. And--they are eaten too fast, not taking forever to chew and enjoy like my beloved müsli with 1.5% milk! (Yes, I DO love eating--every minute of it!!!!)

I have often taken Mg, but not highly-dosed. My mother always went overboard with all of her new trends/beliefs and I am wary of such things (think many supplements are humbug...)

I think I shall stop here. It is great to think and write in English. I live in an absolute German environment, except that I teach business and technical English on-site 4 half-days a week.

I feel much better to have finally started!

Yo--Here I go!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-13, 02:28

BF:

Hi again,

Do you have a "proper" first name, Ragbus? I don't need to know your whole name, but a proper first name would be nice to use.

Anyway, I can understand if you have a wariness of supplements after reading what you say about your mother, but magnesium is still a good one!

What age are you now? If you say you got down to 57kg in 1972, how old were you then? It was a very low weight for that height, though, if you ask me. And, your metabolism then is NOT what it is now, so what worked for your body forty years ago might not work for the same body which is now forty years older and not in the same condition.

I wonder if the medications you are taking are partly to blame for your problems, to be honest. I would be more worried about taking 12 different medications and all the possible "Gegenwirkungen" (contra-indications?) than taking a few supplements.

Do you have Hashimoto's or just "regular" hypothyroidism?

Oh, and by the way, I teach English here, too! Are you on Facebook or LinkedIn as well?

Take care and talk to you again soon,

Amanda
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-13, 08:57

BF:

Hi Amanda

I just answered you on my thread "Something has to move..."

Hope that is OK with you?

r.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-13, 11:50

BF:

No probs, see you there later!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-27-16, 00:58

Plan: Atkins, LC, LCHF
Stats: 210/197/158 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hy there,
is there any German left who wants to share his experience in LCing or LCHF or...?
I'm German, too and I live in Germany but as I'm trying to improve my English and, of course, to share my experience in LCing/LCHF/Atkins, it would be nice if there could be a chance to communicate

Looking forward to hearing from anybody!