Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 04:30

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Looking for low-carbers in Germany - German and English speaking OK

Hi there people from everywhere!

Looking for low-carbers in Germany. I speak German and English, so you can mail me in either language.

I'm British but have lived in Germany for nearly 20 years. I have been married to my German husband (he's an English high-school teacher) for 11 years and have 2 kids. I teach English part-time and am a qualified translator.

Discoverd the low-carb WOL in May and feel a bit lonely in Germany because it's just not caught on here. Atkins is regarded as totally weird and I have trouble "outing" myself as a low-carber. Which is part of the reason I find it difficult to stick to the low-carb stuff when out visiting people or socializing in general...

Anyway, it would be nice to contact a few people in Germany for a bit of morale-boosting and social support. I don't have trouble with buying low-carb foods or anything, it's the feeling of being regarded as a complete weirdo that gets me!

Hope to hear from you soon!

amanda wood
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-07, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/172.8/150 Female 5feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Smile

Hi Amanda, I know what you are talking about. My name is Petra, I am German but live in the States since four years now. I tried Atkins years back in Germany and it was close to impossible to keep it up. I hope you will find some fellow carbers in Germany. Sorry I can't be any help to you.
Hab' ein schoenes Wochenende
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 04:57

BF:
Default Thanks For Your Supportive Message

Well, thanks for posting that! Hope you're sticking to your low-carb plan in the States. In the meantime I'm finding it somewhat easier to do the low-carb thing - I just say I avoid eating too many carbohydrate foods, rather than make a big deal about eating high-fat and high-protein foods. Most people can understand it if you don't want to eat loads of cake and if I have an extra helping of vegetables instead of rice or potatoes, that doesn't cause too much consternation either.
But I must admit that I succumbed to a particularly German temptation recently - Christstollen mit Marzipanfüllung - and promptly had another extra kilo on the scales. I'm now trying to walk past all those Christmas goodies without putting them in my shopping cart and trying to get that kilo off again...
amanda wood
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 13:05
Registered Member

Stats: 180/172.8/150 Female 5feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Well, thanks for posting that! Hope you're sticking to your low-carb plan in the States. In the meantime I'm finding it somewhat easier to do the low-carb thing - I just say I avoid eating too many carbohydrate foods, rather than make a big deal about eating high-fat and high-protein foods. Most people can understand it if you don't want to eat loads of cake and if I have an extra helping of vegetables instead of rice or potatoes, that doesn't cause too much consternation either.
But I must admit that I succumbed to a particularly German temptation recently - Christstollen mit Marzipanfüllung - and promptly had another extra kilo on the scales. I'm now trying to walk past all those Christmas goodies without putting them in my shopping cart and trying to get that kilo off again...
amanda wood

Ohh...Christstollen mit Marzipanfuellung, Spekulatius, Gluehwein....This would be a time of big temptations for me. Luckily I don't have to deal with that
I am happy for you that you find it a little easier now. I was very young when I tried Atkins for the first time and easy to influence. My family here is really "health oriented" in a low fat way, so I just told them I cut out sugar and white starches and nobody has a problem with that and I don't have to justify myself. Makes life easier. Did you go to a Weihnachtsmarkt yet ? I really miss those.Where in Germany do you live ? I am from Trier. Anyway, thank you for you response and have a wonderful weekend.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-07, 15:00

Stats: 248/194/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi Amanda,

I do not come from germany, but I can relate to your story. I come from Holland, same situation around here. When I out myself as a low carber, I notice people don't understand this. They say it is unhealty and yada yada yada. Oh and these Christstollen mit Marzipanfüllung............. We have them too

Good luck!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-07, 00:21

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just spent my very first "low-carb" Advent.

We lit candles...drank coffee and herbal tea....I made a plate with "aufschnitt" (sp.) and cheese and pickles...(lots of schinkenspeck. YUM!)...fried eggplant...cucumber rounds topped with cream cheese and lox and smoked tuna...veggies and dip...my homemade SF truffles rolled in coconut...SF orange mousse cake with an almond-butter crust....

Did I miss the Niederegger marzipan, speculaas or Lindor balls?? NOPE!!

I sat and ate for 9 HOURS...we had such a good time...I've lost my voice for talking!

See? Even us 'Krauts can manage a low-carb Christmas!! I have faith in you...YOU CAN DO IT!!

My next Christmas project is going to be a low-carb trifle....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-08, 20:42

Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

hi,
i sympathize... however, i initially did Atkins in Germany and was very successful.. i guess because i did a "pure" form. No temptations of atkins bars, mixes, lo carb products..at the time i was frustrated and many times i cursed the fact that it was hard, but i really found some great stuffs... I found sugar free syrups, sugar free rot kohl, and even sugar free jelly powder at the british shop... however, i did give in to lebkuchen )
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 05:51

Plan: LC,SP,Atkins
Stats: 172/160/100 Female 162
BF:
Progress: 17%

hello,
I'm new to this forum but not so new to the low carb idea. I've been looking for other low-carbers in the Rhein-Main area for quite a while but obviosly there aren't many.
Anybody out there from (around) Frankfurt?
Please contact me.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-08, 03:15

BF:

I'm afraid I'm not quite in your neck of the woods - I live near Stuttgart, but welcome to the forum! I have seen a post from somebody living in Bavaria, but there don't seem to be that many Germany-based people on here.

But seeing as we're all floating around in the internet ether, it doesn't really matter! I've had some really helpful tips, advice and ideas from this forum and the best thing is that the distance between you and the rest of the forum members isn't usually relevant.

Good luck with your weight-loss project! I'm doing well on my LC plan, but am currently suffering a little due to a tummy bug - "Schwarztee mit Zucker und Zwieback" are on the menu right now... Not exactly low-carb, but it's the only thing that works for me with this kind of problem...

Hope you enjoy the forum - it's really worth having a good luck around - the articles posted in the LC media watch section are reallly interesting and I have learnt so much through reading the various posts and articles I've seen here.

All the best

amanda
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-12, 08:49

Plan: LF--modified
Stats: 220/220/160 Female 176 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile American in the middle of Germany (not nowhere! )

Hi
I am an American, married to a German farmer near Goslar (Hannover) for 39 years. I came here as a VERY slim young lady,57 kg at 176 cm, had 3 children and then a very long phase of depression, when I gained 45 kg through medication. I had kept my weight down very well before the depression (size 38/40) but have not found a stable way to lose the new weight. (OK--it's not new anymore ;-( Has been around for 20 years!) When the size 46 no longer fits and I can shop only "plus sizes", when 3 different doctors say "Take off 20 kg", when I start hating myself for lack of will-power and lack of self-discipline and, and, and... Then Enough is Enough!

I have asked myself what seems possible, what can fit me and my very personal life style?
My answer now is LCHF. I have researched a lot about it (Thank You, Internet, forums, blogs, smartphone, laptop, tablet. Thank You!!!) I have lost the first 3 kg and am very motivated. I have found great books and recipes. I can tell more if anyone is interested.

As for now, I will continue the plan and will continue to inform myself and listen to others on the internet, etc.

I would be grateful for any replies.

Together we are strong!

Marching forwards!!!

Last edited by RAGBUS : Sun, Oct-14-12 at 09:00. Reason: incorrectly displayed
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 02:03

BF:
Default Welcome Aboard!!!

Hi there!

Fancy that!!! The thread I began in 2007 has been reactivated!!!

Anyway, although I'm not really such a gung-ho low-carber any more - I had blood sugar issues after a while and the LCing just made me too light-headed and dizzy - I'd be happy to accompany you on your journey.

The best thing would be to start a journal as then you can have a place of your own to record your thoughts and experiences. If you go to the journal subforum, you can start one there.

Good luck and glad to hear you're already 3kg down!!!

And I understand your references to clothes sizes, which is nice as I always have to "translate" American clothes sizes into British ones, and then from there into European!!!

I'm also hovering around a size 44-46, which I'm not 100% happy about, but, I believe I have a problem with low thyroid function and that a lot of the weight I'm carrying is to do with water retention, rather than actual fat weight (although I obviously have some of that, too!!!). Until I find out whether I do have a thyroid problem, or get some clarity on the issue, I am not trying to diet. I am managing to keep my weight stable, which is something, but more I cannot be bothered with right now.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Amanda
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 07:31

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi there,
I am British living in Switzerland. I just happened to see the title of this thread as it was bumped on to the list.
It's interesting that you stopped doing low carb. I have only been doing it for close to three months - although I did something similar 20 years ago when living in Germany - and I really feel great. I am quite strict about not eating pasta, rice, potatoes, pastry, in fact anything flour based or starchy, except for one thin rye cracker at breakfast. I used to get cranky and crave food and even get light headed when I ate carbs. Now I don't at all. I just get mild hunger signals sometimes that I can mostly ignore till mealtime. It remains to be seen whether I can sustain it - at least till I've reached my weight goal, but I don't see any reason why not for now.

Low carb may not be the panacea for everyone but I'm curious to know why you think it gave you problems.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-13, 12:43

Plan: SlowCarb- Paleo
Stats: 208/201/160 Female 172 cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone,
Are there any Germans left in the forum? I am an Ami living in Germany. Just started LC about a month ago.
Am finding it much easier than I expected, but do find it difficult when traveling for work because the standard train station fare is: Belegte Brötchen. Not much chance of buying that and then not eating the bread.
Came to Germany thin but now 15 years later have put on about 30 kg. I also am not experiencing the ups and downs, extreme hunger/binges and am sleeping much better.
I think it is sustainable for me and I am enjoying my cheat days: Saturday after a protein breakfast.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-13, 12:50

Plan: LF--modified
Stats: 220/220/160 Female 176 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default New input, new start, new motivation...

Hello to all

I had completely forgotten about this forum, and, at just the right time, I got a mail saying that there was a reply again.

After my last post and real try at LCHF, I had heart problems, which caused me to drop all weight-losing efforts. Now, 9 months later, it is definitely time to start again!!!!!!

I just don't know how to go about it... Or better, I can't decide... AND--I put it off. Tomorrow, tomorrow...

I will not do LCHF--that's for sure. How about LC? Weight Watcher's? A combination of both?

Oh, I would LOVE communicating with you, DieLangena! And, you, Lulumae and amandawald! Let's go! Yes we can! We are able! Just do it...

Greetings
Renée

p.s. I, too, am an American, but I have been here for 41 years and am now 63.

I need you and hope to exchange experiences and tips with you and anybody else, as we go down this road together (and go down in weight!!!!!) and get healthy and fit.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-13, 14:40

BF:

Hi Ragbus,

Sorry to hear that you had heart problems - I wonder if low magnesium caused by rapid water loss caused that? - but here I am, anyway.

I am trying to get my head around the fact that I most probably have some kind of hypothyroid issue and/or a B12 deficiency (pernicious anaemia) and/or some gluten-related issue (celiac disease?). I have been avoiding wheat for about 2.5 years now (most of the time), but gave up LCing.

My weight has gone up, but I think most of it is due to water retention and thyroid-related problems.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Amanda