Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 18:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkhinman
1. Don't eat a lot of cheese. Cheese will stall you faster than a 1963 Winnebego. Cheese should be eaten as little as possible. When I eat a lot of cheese (about a 1 cup or more) I stall.

There's a 3-4 ounce limit per day on Atkins.

A cup or more is way too much!

Yes, some people can't eat cheese.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 19:27

Plan: LC/carnivore 6/26/23
Stats: 200/194/137 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have been on Atkins several different times and was successful each time. Now I am doing it again and I really never want to go off this way of life.

Anyways, all I can suggest are hard boiled eggs. I eat them for breakfast and lunch during the work week and I always lose weight with them.

Something to think about.

Also, becareful of steak sauces, marinades - order things without the sauce, and beware of dressings at restaurants.

HUGS to you - YOU can do it!

This is going to work I promise!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 19:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

Quote:
4. Stay the hell away from coffee (sorry for the language lol but its true!). Coffee is a stall magnet. You've got sooo many carbs creeping in one cup it aint funny. If you use three splenda, some whipping creme and a venti size of coffee at Starbucks, that's about 5 gms of carbs; about the same amount of a full plated breakfast of eggs and sodium free bacon.

Coffee has less than 1 carb per 6 fl oz before you add anything to it. I add stevia plus which has 0 net carbs and heavy cream (not whipped cream) 1 tbsp .5 carbs. Total 1.5 carbs. If you drink it black you only have less than one carb.

I found a heavy cream that was expensive that had even less than .5 of a carb.

I do think it is a YMV kind of thing, but it hasn't interfered with me losing 23 lbs in two months.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

[QUOTE=amberview]
I found a heavy cream that was expensive that had even less than .5 of a carb.
/QUOTE]

Heavy cream is 6.6 net carbs per cup. That's .4125 net carbs per Tbs.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 22:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiKitty
I have heard this repeated in several forms all over the internet, everything from "dietary fat is burned before stored body fat", to "dairy fat is burned first, then animal fat, then stored body fat"... but when I have asked nutritionists (and others) if this was true, I could never get a straight answer. When I stated it elsewhere in this forum, someone took me to task on it, and try as I could, I could not find a solid source for this, only hearsay. What is your source on this information? And if it's true, how is it that people lose faster on a fat fast (when they eat almost all fatty foods and little carbs)? I'm not trying to start anything, I honestly want to know. Is this fact, or one of those things that gets repeated so many times that people just assume that it's true?

For me it's an extreme fact. When I was doing the Atkins to the point where you really don't count the fat and eat 3 sausages with an egg and cheese omelette for breakfast, two bunless cheeseburgers for lunch etc, I was loosing weight but it averaged out to about 1 pound to 2 pounds a week.

Loosing 2 pounds a week is good; don't get me wrong. However, when I substitute the 3 egg omelette and 3 sausages with 4 boiled eggs (breakfast) and I subsitute 2 bunless cheeseburgers for a package of tuna in water with reduced Miracle whip (1 gm fat, >1 gm of carb per tablespoon) for lunch and I substitute a steak for lean meat or skinless chicken or fish for dinner, I go from loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week to about 5 to 6 pounds a week. And it's not water weight.

Every human body reacts a little differently for any version of eating to cause weight loss. I do know for a fact that your body must burn fat and carbs you have in your stomach first before it can get to your stored body fat. That's a medical fact. Am I saying eating 40 to 80 grams of fat is bad for you on a low carb diet? No of course it isn't. High fat will control a lot of people's appetitite and give them more energy. However, you do have to burn the carb and fat you ingested first before your body burns stored fat. Hence, why a LOT of people work out in the morning before breakfast because you are burning pure stored body fat.

Don't get me wrong, you can still loose all your weight eating high fat, low carb, but you'll loose a lot faster controlling your fat intake a bit. Im not saying a LOW fat diet....but a reasonable one. For example, this is what I eat during the day

Breakfast:

4 boiled eggs
32 oz cold water

Snack:

16 oz Protein shake.
Protein shake has 2 grams of fat and 4 grams of carbs and 48 grams of protein
32 oz water

Lunch:

Packet of Tuna fish with 2 tablespoons of light miracle whip.
(miracle whip is 2 grams of fat and >2gms of carbs for 2 tablespoons)
32 oz water

or Ill have baked cod or salmon

Dinner:

Trimed fat top sirloin or chicken breast and a dash of string beans.
Stuffed mushrooms (mozerella cheese with Pam spray)
32 oz water

Snack:

16 oz Protein shack

I loose a pound a day that way

Here was my old way:

Breakfast:

4 egg omelette with chedder cheese and 2 sausage links or 4 pieces of bacon and onions and red peppers, sauteed in butter.
32 oz water

Snack:

2 large slimjims
32 oz water

Lunch:

Buffalo Chicken wings of roast beef with melted cheese or 2 cheeseburgers without bread.
32 oz water

Snack:

2 string cheese
32 oz water

Dinner:

A big juicy steak
Brocolli and cheese
Sauteed Onions
32 oz water

The above diet, I lost about a 1 pound to 2 pounds a week.

Like I said, Im not saying the way you're doing it is the wrong way. However, my new way is giving me about 10 times more energy and it feels good having to go through two different pair of pants in two weeks because im loosing inches so rapidly.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 22:47

Plan: Atkin's Induction
Stats: 218/208/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I understand what you're saying. But surely if it's medical fact, there is medical documentation to back this up? And if it is in fact true, how does the fat fast work, as outlined in DANDR?
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 01:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/118/105 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

The first 18lbs I lost in 3 weeks were eating about 3000 calories a day most of them in meats and fats. Whenever I decrease my
fat I lost very little. I read this not only in the Atkins book also in
an article by a nutritionist in favor of low carb diet the article was
title " how to metabolized your own fat faster.
By the way I am only 5' tall. Too much calories for a small women ah! Well it worked.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 07:51

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

As for stalls here are some tips I have gleaned from the many members of this board and my own (several) journeys

1. limit or remove dairy for a few days. (I dropped cheese and lost 16 pounds in 10 days--no, not induction, after low carbing a while)
2. try a day or two of intermittent fasting.
3. count your calories (1200 calories is NOT starvation for a small woman--it's a typical diet limit and has been for decades)
4. Eat nothing with possible additives, like sausage, bacon, ham (eat only fresh meat). eliminate anything not whole food.
5. watch your sodium intake.
6. try carb cycling... higher for a few days, then lower
7. drink some more water
8. dump sweeteners (unless they are liquid, their carb count adds up)
9. don't eat after 8 (some ppl say this works)
10. eat your larger meal in the middle of the day.

All of these tricks have worked for different people. But the number one thing you should do is measure. The tape measure is often the best friend of a frustrated low carber.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 08:01

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

What jumps out at me here is the calories in lieu of the fat. You significantly reduced your calories by cutting the fat and hence, lost more weight. So, your theory is false (sorry) as it the drastic reduction in calories that has contributed to your increased loss. Jill

Quote:
For me it's an extreme fact. When I was doing the Atkins to the point where you really don't count the fat and eat 3 sausages with an egg and cheese omelette for breakfast, two bunless cheeseburgers for lunch etc, I was loosing weight but it averaged out to about 1 pound to 2 pounds a week.

Loosing 2 pounds a week is good; don't get me wrong. However, when I substitute the 3 egg omelette and 3 sausages with 4 boiled eggs (breakfast) and I subsitute 2 bunless cheeseburgers for a package of tuna in water with reduced Miracle whip (1 gm fat, >1 gm of carb per tablespoon) for lunch and I substitute a steak for lean meat or skinless chicken or fish for dinner, I go from loosing 1 to 2 pounds a week to about 5 to 6 pounds a week. And it's not water weight.

Every human body reacts a little differently for any version of eating to cause weight loss. I do know for a fact that your body must burn fat and carbs you have in your stomach first before it can get to your stored body fat. That's a medical fact. Am I saying eating 40 to 80 grams of fat is bad for you on a low carb diet? No of course it isn't. High fat will control a lot of people's appetitite and give them more energy. However, you do have to burn the carb and fat you ingested first before your body burns stored fat. Hence, why a LOT of people work out in the morning before breakfast because you are burning pure stored body fat.

Don't get me wrong, you can still loose all your weight eating high fat, low carb, but you'll loose a lot faster controlling your fat intake a bit. Im not saying a LOW fat diet....but a reasonable one. For example, this is what I eat during the day

Breakfast:

4 boiled eggs
32 oz cold water

Snack:

16 oz Protein shake.
Protein shake has 2 grams of fat and 4 grams of carbs and 48 grams of protein
32 oz water

Lunch:

Packet of Tuna fish with 2 tablespoons of light miracle whip.
(miracle whip is 2 grams of fat and >2gms of carbs for 2 tablespoons)
32 oz water

or Ill have baked cod or salmon

Dinner:

Trimed fat top sirloin or chicken breast and a dash of string beans.
Stuffed mushrooms (mozerella cheese with Pam spray)
32 oz water

Snack:

16 oz Protein shack

I loose a pound a day that way

Here was my old way:

Breakfast:

4 egg omelette with chedder cheese and 2 sausage links or 4 pieces of bacon and onions and red peppers, sauteed in butter.
32 oz water

Snack:

2 large slimjims
32 oz water

Lunch:

Buffalo Chicken wings of roast beef with melted cheese or 2 cheeseburgers without bread.
32 oz water

Snack:

2 string cheese
32 oz water

Dinner:

A big juicy steak
Brocolli and cheese
Sauteed Onions
32 oz water

The above diet, I lost about a 1 pound to 2 pounds a week.

Like I said, Im not saying the way you're doing it is the wrong way. However, my new way is giving me about 10 times more energy and it feels good having to go through two different pair of pants in two weeks because im loosing inches so rapidly.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 09:26
Registered Member

Stats: 322/299.5/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am confused! I always think of the phrase "fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat". Doesn't reduced fat mayo have more sugar added to it? What about salad dressing? Do you use reduced fat salad dressing also? I have never counted calories or fat grams, so this is kind of confusing to me.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 09:35

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 326/280/155 Male 5'6
BF:37
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by renee99
I am confused! I always think of the phrase "fat does not make you fat, sugar makes you fat". Doesn't reduced fat mayo have more sugar added to it? What about salad dressing? Do you use reduced fat salad dressing also? I have never counted calories or fat grams, so this is kind of confusing to me.

Still count carb very much. I also count fat equally as much. Also, my calorie intack is about 2300 so Im sure Im not loosing just based on my caloric intake. I eat about the same as any other Atkins dieter....just a little less fat.

When I ate low carb high in fat I lost 2 pounds a week (almost same calories maybe a 300 to 400 calorie difference a day...for a 294 pounder thats insignificant) so I dont think it's the lack of calories. Also, lack of calories will cause me to stall as my metabolism will stall.

The reduced fat miracle whip I eat has just .6 grams of carbs of tablespoon. The regular miracle whip had .3 grams of carbs a tablespoon. So they really didn't add a ton of sugar in lieu of the reduced fat like they do in reduced fat salad dressing. The difference in the fat is 8 grams of fat per regular and 1.0 in reduced fat. So to me, i dont mind the change.

Like I said in an earlier post, this is something that works for me. I don't expect it to work for everyone. Im not a low fat freak trust me. Right now Im consuming 3 bacon strips (fresh butcher bacon) and 3 fried eggs for breakfast.

If you guys are doing great on high fat, low carb then great! Im merely giving the original poster some ideas to break her stall because it was what broke mine.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 09:45
Registered Member

Stats: 322/299.5/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks for the reply.....that is very interesting. Learned something today
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: LC for BG control
Stats: 278/196/000 Female 65.5"
BF:
Progress: 29%

CMIIW, but the fat fast is 1000 calories with ~100g of fat
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 13:53
Strong Chicks Rock!!

Plan: Atkins (total, not net)
Stats: 194/151.2/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35.8%/19%/17%
Progress: 97%

There seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding starvation mode, including it's actual definition, so I thought I'd post an excellent article that can be found here:

http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/28742.html

Quote:
The Truth about "Starvation Mode" manewell
Mar 18 2007 00:21

First, what is starvation mode? I found this direct answer on netwellness.org --

A starvation diet does not mean the absence of food. It means cutting the total caloric intake to less than 50% of what the body requires.

Using myself as an example, my current weight is 183 lbs. and my bmr is 1450. So, I would have to cut my calories to below 725 per day. However, if I were at my goal weight of 109 lbs., my bmr would be 1129, and so I would have to cut my calories to below 565 calories.

Many fear that going into starvation mode will drastically reduce their metabolic rate and cause them to hoard calories and gain weight instead of losing.

This is not borne out by the infamous Minnesota Semistarvation Study (1950), 36 young, healthy, psychologically normal men while restricting their caloric intake for 6 months. Their calories were restricted in various phases, but the least amount of calories they were allowed was 50% of the "normal" maintenance calories. Notice, this was dubbed a "semi" starvation diet.

Yes, their metabolic rates were significantly lowered -- to something like 40% below baseline. Yet at no point did the men stop losing fat until they hit 5% body fat at the end of the study.

Lyle McDonald explains it this way:

In general, it's true that metabolic rate tends to drop more with more excessive caloric deficits (and this is true whether the effect is from eating less or exercising more); as well, people vary in how hard or fast their bodies shut down. Women's bodies tend to shut down harder and faster.

But here's the thing: in no study I've ever seen has the drop in metabolic rate been sufficient to completely offset the caloric deficit. That is, say that cutting your calories by 50% per day leads to a reduction in the metabolic rate of 10%. Starvation mode you say. Well, yes. But you still have a 40% daily deficit.

And then he follows with the note about the Minnesota men still continuing to lose fat even thugh their metabolic rates had dropped to 40% below baseline. He says, further, that no study that he's aware of where people were put on strictly controlled diets failed to acknowledge weight or fat loss.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/lyle.htm

Did the Minnesota men suffer negative consequences from the experience. They most certainly did, and, interestingly, many of the same consequences that anorexics experience. You can read all about the various negative consequences at this site and the implications for EDs.

http://www.possibility.com/epowiki/...age=EffectsOfSe miStarvation

Another starvation study was done in England, at Cambridge University, to determine the different effects starvation had on lean people versus obese people. It's findings are quite relevant to our discussion. The entire study is found at http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food2/UID07E/uid07e11.htm.

Does starvation mode slow down the metabolism? No, and Yes.

In the first 2 days of starvation, there is a small absolute increase in BMR relative to values obtained from overnight fasting. Overnight fasting is what every one of us does during our sleeping hours.

So it is not true that going below recommended calories for one day is going to slow down your metabolism -- quite the contrary, it may speed it up just a little.

Does Starvation mode cause our bodies to catabilize (devour our muscles and other lean mass)? Yes and No.

Lean individuals lost great amounts of fat-free, lean tissue during starvation, but obese individuals lost much more fat tissue. Obese individuals have a mechanism that conserves lean mass and burns fat instead. In the study, an example of a lean subject studied after death from starvation: it can be deduced that loss of body fat accounted for 28-36% of the weight loss and fat-free mass 64-72%. In obese individuals, the proportion of energy derived from protein (Pcal%) is only 6% compared to 21% in the lean individual. More than half the weight loss in the obese is fat, whereas most of the weight loss in the lean individual is fat-free mass.

And the loss of lean mass is not as critical to the obese person as to the lean person simply because an obese person has more lean mass than a person of the same age and height but normal weight.

Grossly obese individuals (FORBES, 1987; JAMES et al., 1978) may have over 30% more fat-free mass than lean individuals of the same height. In the example shown in Figure 3, the obese individual weighting 140 kg has a fat-free mass that is 29% greater than the 70 kg man. Obese individuals appear to have more muscle and bone than lean individuals, and these help support and move the excess body weight. Obese subjects have large vascular volumes and larger hearts, which are necessary to pump more blood around larger bodies, especially during weight-bearing activities. Obese individuals may also have visceromegaly (NAEYE and ROODE, 1970).

But when you think about it, doesn't that make fat storage sense? Why would our Maker create us with the ability to store fat if it couldn't sustain us and preserve our lean mass in cases of extreme want?

So the effects of a starvation diet upon a normal weight teen would be substantially more devastating than to me, a morbidly obese person.

**Please note that I'm not offering an opinion on it. I'm just trying to provide the correct information.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 14:17

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

My doctor always told me, 10 times your body weight to maintain or reach... so if I want to be 120 say, 1200 cals, and not below 600.

2300 cals then, supports 230 pounds and therefore at 294 Rk can still lose, but I wouldn't.

I want to be about 135 really, and therefore never eat above 1350 and never below 700 or so (some fasting days might dip lower, but wow do I make up for that)