Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 14:45
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The arguments are really false to begin with.

People complain that diet X are boring and repetitive yet if they looked at the dieting they were eating it was probably pretty damned repetitive. But the difference was they liked that food and were accustomed to it.

I think the real problem is that people have gotten into the habit of doing 0 work and 0 planning about what they eat. When, in the history of mankind, has that ever been possible? You were damned lucky to get a meal and you probably had to work pretty hard to ensure you got it. Now we can't be bothered to spend a few minutes a week thinking about how we're going to eat for the week, shop, and perhaps do a bit of preparation in advance?

What to take in a car... *sigh*
Two thoughts about this. First if people spent just a little more time planning, implementing and eating proper meals they wouldn't need to worry about eating in a car. Why? You'd be full from your last meal and could easily last until the next meal, many hours down the road. But because they're constantly ravaged by blood sugar and insulin they're constantly pecking at something.

Ok, so fine. You need a snack. There's one food you could live off of for a long, long time that is portable and needs no special storage. NUTS! Macadamias are and several others are excellent for low carbers. Get the unsalted, raw ones if you over-indulge.

Allergic? Ok, how about Jerkey?

Others not trying to avoid dairy have tons of options like a big chunk of cheese.

Sometimes I just take some olives and nuts with me for a quicky meal.

The problems here are self-inflicted. I have dietary restrictions on top of just low-carb and I never get bored with my diet and I rarely find myself without food to eat or even inconvenienced.

The things to tackle or some rudimentary planning, it doesn't have to involve making complicated menus or anything, just thinking for a few minutes in advance. This week it'll be pork ribs for either lunch or dinner, eggs for breakfast, peanut sauce for the eggs (takes about 10 minutes to prepare, enough to last over a week) and pork, salads for one meal a day, a pickled cabbage salad as side dish (takes 10 minutes to prepare, lasts for days).

Learning to cook... wow, I meet so many people that have no clue. Its just something I don't understand. Its like meeting someone that never learned how to read or do simple math. I really wonder what their parents were thinking about, not teaching them to cook. *sigh*

Being curious about food. What do people in other countries eat for breakfast? You'd be surprised what most people eat is probably fish for breakfast in Asia. Why do we think we have to eat certain sorts of foods at certain times of the day?

Unfortunately people get so tied up in knots they don't think things through. When you fail at something you have to ask yourself why you failed and take ownership of the failure and try to solve the problem. Don't throw up your hands and say you can't. Figure out a way to do it, don't just repeat your same mistakes.

Absolutely spot-on.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 14:52
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Want to laugh.....My neighbor says to me while we are talking one day....I mentioned I had to get back in the house to tend to the oven. "she says you cook?" WTH?? Of course I cook, don't you was my reply? She says no I don't! This is a woman with 2 kids and a husband? Makes you wonder what they are eating....or NOT eating?
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 15:00

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Total excuse. Even before LC I cooked and brought my lunch to work. I devote Sundays to cooking stuff for lunches, and I have a kick-a$$ thermos so I can bring hot meals with me. Then again I've had people say to me, "Well, you don't have kids so you have the time." My mother had four kids AND worked full-time and STILL cooked dinner every night ... until my siblings and I were old enough to pitch in, that is.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 15:46
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well, nobody ever taught me to cook. My mom died when I was 9. My stepmothers felt that assigning me every household chore including the kitchen somehow counted. I moved out at 15 and was working full time (illegally of course, teen hours are supposed to be limited) to support myself before 17, and by the time I was an 'adult' I had two jobs (occasionally 3 with a weekend job) and no time.

I had learned to make some mexican food when I was 8, mom was dying of cancer and not real energetic so I'd take food stamps and shop and make her a morning burrito, guacamole or whatever to go with it, but that's all I knew when I hit adulthood.

I didn't start cooking until I started lowcarbing, which is about age 40.

I know at least a dozen women who basically cook maybe once a week, often something from a box, and the rest of the time what they eat is frozen or they go somewhere or it's just sandwiches.

Honestly I've sometimes wondered if we have half a generation of women who just don't know anything about cooking at all. When I got into gardening and started reading on canning and such, I began to realize just how much basic survival knowledge has been lost from most of our culture.

You don't need to learn to cook in today's society. Every place you go, if I pick up gas, I can also nuke a burrito or grab a hot dog or get a package of donuts or whatever... which is what I did for most of my life, which explains why by the time I came to low carb's door I weighed nearly 500#, I suppose.

The effort it takes me to do even minimal prep feels like a trial and tribulation. I recognize the sheer laziness here, and am constantly working to push myself.

I'm not necessarily that lazy about other things. But with food, I never once had to do ANYTHING for it. If I wanted it, it was there. It was instant. It was sweet and yummy. It had the overwhelming cleaning chore of 'throwing something away'.

Now, I go in to make a dinner for me and the kid, and I'm just stunned at how much TIME it takes me. Clean and chop the scallions then the mushrooms then the garlic then the bell pepper then saute them until ready then do the eggs or meat then mix stuff together and get the plates and when it's done then there's all these dishes to wash. Intellectually, I know this is laughable -- I have ONE child and don't do extensive cooking -- but subjectively, I feel like it's this incredible demand on my time and burden.

So I understand the "too much trouble" excuse. I don't usually make it -- I usually say 'not enough time' which is not excusing bad eating, merely excusing NOT eating usually -- and that's as pitiful an excuse as any other, since I know now that if I want to make time I will.

but I do think that maybe culturally we are more different than we realize. Maybe some people honestly never DO have to do chores, never learn to cook, etc. and it really IS a vastly more demanding 'change' and 'effort' for them, than for people who grew up doing chores and cooking and it's a totally normal part of life.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 16:35

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

rightnow, I knew you were raised on a different planet than I was but I can not fathom people who can't cook. Not cooking isn't part of my world view and I don't emotionally understand how it can be daunting. Your explanation helped a bit but...wow.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in my family cooks. The joke on my mom's side of the family is "there might not be enough food" (if the entire russian army stopped by unexpectedly). They cook tons and everyone one is good at some portion of it. Even my grandfather, who doesn't cook, per say, made his own lunches and regularly had charge of grilling meat over the fire.

My dad and his side all cook too.

Quote:

Honestly I've sometimes wondered if we have half a generation of women who just don't know anything about cooking at all.

Inconceivable!
But I think you're probably right.
Its so weird. Its like telling me a whole generation of people never learned to breath or something.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 16:40
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Now, I go in to make a dinner for me and the kid, and I'm just stunned at how much TIME it takes me. Clean and chop the scallions then the mushrooms then the garlic then the bell pepper then saute them until ready then do the eggs or meat then mix stuff together and get the plates and when it's done then there's all these dishes to wash. Intellectually, I know this is laughable -- I have ONE child and don't do extensive cooking -- but subjectively, I feel like it's this incredible demand on my time and burden.

Some days I think we all feel this way....for me, when that "ugh I gotta make dinner hits" (and I do admit, it's not that often since I do like to cook and have since I was a kid) I try to think of the blessing it is to have good wholesome food to make my family, and that the time it's taking is an investment in our well-being....not always easy, but it also helps to think of it as an act of love - your time, effort and skill is making something nutritious for yourself and your child (and with us, hubby too) and you do it because you love them!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 16:56

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

RightNow, I am so sorry that you lost your mom so very young. My heart goes out to you. I'll bet she's looking down right now and feeling very, very proud.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 16:58
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Honestly I've sometimes wondered if we have half a generation of women who just don't know anything about cooking at all. When I got into gardening and started reading on canning and such, I began to realize just how much basic survival knowledge has been lost from most of our culture.

And not only that - but there are a lot of men who don't know how to cook either.

You were saying...

Quote:
Maybe some people honestly never DO have to do chores, never learn to cook, etc. and it really IS a vastly more demanding 'change' and 'effort' for them, than for people who grew up doing chores and cooking and it's a totally normal part of life.

These would be my stepkids. The youngest is about to turn 23 in a couple of months, and he does not know how to cook at all, and refuses to have anything to do with anything that isn't microwaveable - unless someone else makes it. Will not do dishes either. It's that 'throwaway' idea - if it can't be microwaved in a disposable container, then it's $ for fast food.

I think you're onto something here PJ - talking about culture, and about having to make a major effort to 'work for food' as you once so eloquently put it.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:01

BF:

Oh, I guess I never answered the question.

Well, for me it's weird. I always did cook, but I have always been BAD at it. And I love to do it! Go figure. I mean how is this possible? My mom was a working mom, but every time she so much as went near the kitchen I was right there, asking to help. The thing is that she probably cooked the same 3 or 4 meals over and over and over again. She used a lot of boxed sides. Maybe she just couldn't really cook either? I never thought of it that way at the time. I thought her meals were pretty good.

I swear I have been cooking for at least 35 years, in one way or another, but am still so horrible at it. I have often put together prepared meals just to spare my family. I do my little experiments and I see the looks on their faces, the frozen false smiles as they chew carefully so as to keep their tongues as far away as possible from the food. And they look at me and smile in frozen fear as my husband chokes, "Oh! It's...good, honey." Then he's mysteriously done after three bites but I hear him rustle-rustle-rustling into the Milky Ways in the freezer all night...

I now eat Atkins style but still often serve my family at least semi-prepared stuff, so that they don't wither away and die from lack of nutrients.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:06

BF:

OMG! LOL!!! I just told my husband, "I think I might like to take a cooking class." And he asked, "Tomorrow?" in this really hopeful way. I rest my case!

My poor family.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:06
Every moment is NOW.

Bats, you know that movie "Mermaids", with Cher and Winona Ryder and Christina Ricci?

The mother didn't cook at ALL. The only thing she ever did was make sandwiches and use cookie cutters to make cute shapes, and stick finger-foods on toothpicks. They ate sitting on counters and the table, when they ate together at all. That was normal for them.

This seemed perfectly normal to me, until the scene where the high school girl is serving this big cooked dinner at mom's boyfriend's house, and mom's eyes were huge, and then they're sitting there talking animatedly while serving themselves and the mom is like, WHAT IS GOING ON?!

I cracked up. That totally resonated with me.

this is kind of a side topic, but relates in a way to cooking and food. Until I was 13, dinner was a war zone in my house. A nightmare. A forced period of time to endure in the devout prayer that despite the odds against it, things might go well, and there would be nothing to be in trouble for, to end up on the floor backhanded for, etc. I never wanted to eat because dinner was just miserable and a feeling of dread.

So when I got older (dad married again, that was the 4th one), and nobody was interested in dinner most of the time, I considered that a GOOD thing. Every dinner I didn't have to eat or clean up from, was that much more safety from imminent doom.

I know a lot of people who've told me their dinner was warzones with dysfunctional families, and then by the time the kids weren't so young as to "actively need feeding" anymore, the woman of the family just up and quit doing anything at all, and if there was a dad, just worked out something for him and her.

I mean I always thought my family was really, really unusual and then I began studying family systems psychology and discovered we were totally predictable, embarrassingly so, and about a zillion other people had the same story, to the point that the "case studies" in my textbooks seemed like pages out of a secret diary someone must have found and published LOL!

Anyway so I'm just thinking that maybe part of the serious degradation in cooking (and cleaning, I might add, and other related things) skills in "some" families is actually just a side-effect of dysfunction in families. When your whole connotation with food is negative and fearful and you really just want to avoid eating at all (DAMN IT I did not mean to trip over that answer when I wasn't expecting it, in a public post! LOL!), when there is no "mom-daughter time" spent learning to cook and doing things together etc., I can see that total ignorance might be the result.

My daughter went to a friends house recently and said, "Her mom never cooks. NEVER. EVER. Everything they eat is something canned or frozen she heats up." Apparently she got this new state of mind to notice it because of hearing me talk to friends about trying to COOK and how much more work it was than nuking a soup or a pizza.

On the bright side she kinda wants to learn to cook so I'm gradually having her help.

Now if she'd only learn to clean decently.... :-)

PJ
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:09

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I know, I know, I know...

I get up at 4:45 a.m. (Yes, there IS a 4:45 AM!!) to be at the gym around 5:00. Get back home, shower & get ready for work, walk the dogs, cook breakfast (real food), pack my lunch & snacks and head off to work in a medical clinic. Lunch is sometimes 20 min, sometimes 45...depends on patient flow but it's okay because I have all my tasty foods ready in the kitchen.

Did I mention that I have 4 kids still at home (ages 18 down to 7)? It's totally do-able.

Sometimes we eat out (again, totally do-able on low-carb). I do buy some "convenience" foods such as bagged ready-to-eat salad mix, deli meats for "sandwiches", the occasional rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, etc. But we also spend most weekends in an RV that's parked at a lake over 1 hour away from home and I manage there as well.

Now...ask me how many excuses I can come up with for not getting my house clean and I'll be able to make your head spin! Everything in life comes down to priorities...
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:14
Every moment is NOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora
OMG! LOL!!! I just told my husband, "I think I might like to take a cooking class." And he asked, "Tomorrow?" in this really hopeful way. I rest my case!

My poor family.

That's hilarious!

Well it might be fun, though, ya think?

I wish there was something like a cooking class around here, I'd take it. Sounds great.

When I was in jr high school I had a cooking class. We learned to:

1. take biscuit dough out of the cheap little cans, pull a hole in it and drop it into a deep fryer. Then shake it in a bag of cinnamon-sugar. Yum. You can sho' nuff keep a man on that kind of dinner.

2. take hot dogs and grill them. take buns and toast them. Put them together. Now I can compete with 7-11!

3. pick weevils out of flour. Oh, that isn't a food? Well that's what we did one class. I swore I would never go near flour again.

You know, I think that is just about it. Oh, I remember!

4. make fantasy fudge, you know, where you dump in the marshmallow cream and chocolate chips and so on. Yummmmmm.

I suppose if I'd taken a class in high school it would have been more advanced. But I only had two electives, and choir and journalism were givens. Ah well.

I also failed spectacularly to sew myself a lovely gunny-sax designer dress around the same age.

I taught myself to crochet. Unfortunately my work looks like a 5 year old did it.

Maybe the whole feminine skills thing is just beyond me! :-)
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:21

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Wow, what a crappy home ec class. I feel for ya.

I was lucky, my mom could have made Martha Stewart look like a piker. NO meals out of the house unless it was some holiday (which was usually camping and she cooked constantly).

It was expected I know how to prepare food, freeze, can, sew, decorate, entertain, volunteer, and work out of the house.

She was a war bride, and kept it front and centre how lucky we are to not have to line up for rations and paint stripes on our legs to pretend we had stockings.

Yes, we had our own 'victory garden' right through to the 80s.

I do have to think further than what pre-prepared meal can I get my hubby to toss in the oven so it's ready when I get home (I'm gone from 5 am to 7 pm every day).

I was tired before... now I'm not. The only difference is my woe.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jul-02-07, 17:28

BF:

I took Home Ec too (now called, what...Domestic Arts?), in the eighth grade. Boys and girls alike were required to take cooking, sewing, mechanical drawing and wood shop, one class per quarter.

I don't remember what we made for cooking class. I just remember it was only one food and we worked all quarter on it. Something bad happened every single week to keep us from our goal. One week something had leaked from the ISP (introductory physical science) room and we weren't allowed to start the burners in the cooking room. Another two weeks, our teacher was ill with something major and didn't attend the class, so we had a sub who probably had us make potato chip dip or something. Anyway, whatever it was that we were making, I remember it involved heating butter, and the teacher came over to me and screamed, "YOU'RE BURNING IT!" and I freaked out and shut off the burner, fast. She bellowed, "You ruined the whole dish!" It's okay. I did realize even at the time that she was a little imbalanced.

For sewing I made pillows of the letters of my nickname, M-E-L. That went okay. For mechanical drawing I silk screened a Snoopy on a T-shirt, and for wood shop I made a tiny cute replica of a Model A Ford. Unfortunately, people can't eat T-shirts or tiny wooden cars, so my family's future culinary misery was set in stone for them way back when I was in the eighth grade.

Edit: Oh, I should add that it's not like I'm proud of my lack of cooking skills or anything. And I'm definitely not spoiled, and never was. I'm just trying to be light-hearted about it. I have always maintained my home with cleaning, small repairs, etc. In fact, I was doing all these things even in my parents' home, as a youngster. We had our regular chores from the age of seven, including laundry, vacuuming, dusting, dishes and the garbage. I still do all that stuff. I did it while I was working full-time and a single mother for 11 years, I did it when I was working full-time but married, and I do it now, while I've been home trying to straighten out my son's issues (autism) by hooking him up with the proper therapies and classes.

Just didn't want you all to think I'm laughing gaily at my total lack of domestic skills...cooking is the only one I really fall down on. I do take my family's happiness seriously.