Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/178/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Yoga/Pilates

This past weekend I won a 6-week yoga/pilates bootcamp gift certificate in a silent auction. What do people think of yoga and pilates as an exercise when low-carbing? I've scanned through posts, and it seems like most people are doing strength training instead.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-07, 10:18

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 160/145/125 Female 5'7.75"
BF:15.6%
Progress: 43%

Yoga is awesome, when you the patience for it. Pilates is great too, but I think yoga is more difficult. I've only done it in my living room, and was sore after my first time- after awhile it got pretty boring because i was doing it alone and doing the same routine everyday (it was a DVD). But it does increase flexibility and strength. If I could afford to take a class (or win one) I'd definitely go though
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 16:19

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlchica
This past weekend I won a 6-week yoga/pilates bootcamp gift certificate in a silent auction. What do people think of yoga and pilates as an exercise when low-carbing? I've scanned through posts, and it seems like most people are doing strength training instead.

Lucky you! Although I'm not sure about the "bootcamp" aspect to this gift: "drop and give me 25 downward-facing dogs?"

Yoga and pilates are both great adjuncts to just about any exercise/wt training work you may do; pilates advocates could argue it is a strength-training program in itself.

Enjoy!
Cheers--
Terry-24
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-07, 16:33

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietMonstr
Yoga is awesome, when you the patience for it. Pilates is great too, but I think yoga is more difficult. I've only done it in my living room, and was sore after my first time- after awhile it got pretty boring because i was doing it alone and doing the same routine everyday (it was a DVD). But it does increase flexibility and strength. If I could afford to take a class (or win one) I'd definitely go though

I think Pilates is more difficult! Even when I was in shape, my abs would scream in pain. Of course I do Hatha Yoga, which is more gentle than the other types.

One of my friends does both and she is in great shape.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 05:18

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default But what are you doing?

Quote:
it seems like most people are doing strength training instead.

I don't know that anyone is doing strength training "instead." People write about strength training questions, and others respond, and many people don't write about yoga. That's about all you can tell. Could well be that yoga people take their questions to their yoga class, rather than here, and all we see are outsiders asking what yoga might be like.

So, what are you doing now, and what will using this gift certificate force you to give up for time and travel limitations? Nothing? If that's the case, go for it--any disciplined motion is going to do something for you that sitting on the couch with the remote won't do. It's only six weeks. If you were thinking about joining a gym and lifting, six weeks won't make much of a difference...

Personally, I found pilates insanely boring, but to each his own. Yoga has as many approaches as there are practitioners (probably also true for pilates but I didn't stick around long enough to find out).

Larger point of view: Few things (of this nature) are going to hurt you in a six-week span. You might find out something you didn't know before. Or you could resell the certificate on Craig's List and get your money back...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 06:33

BF:

The bootcamp is 4 classes a week for 6 weeks. Each week contains two one-hour yoga classes and two one-hour pilates classes.

I signed up for two private lessons at the studio, before the bootcamp starts. That way I can see if I like it, and learn how to use everything. If I don't like it, then I'll sell the certificate on Craig's List
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 13:45

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%

Quote:
The bootcamp is 4 classes a week for 6 weeks. Each week contains two one-hour yoga classes and two one-hour pilates classes.

I signed up for two private lessons at the studio, before the bootcamp starts. That way I can see if I like it, and learn how to use everything. If I don't like it, then I'll sell the certificate on Craig's List

Sounds like a plan! I'm not sure what "everything" is you need to learn to use: not a whole lot of equipment involved, is there? I'm curious-- Cheers-- Terry-24
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-07, 16:36

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

Yoga is definately a great form of exercise. I took a hatha yoga class (a very gentle form of yoga) and I was sore for DAYS afterwards... it was much more intense than I was looking for.

2 yoga and 2 pilates classes a week for 6 weeks is a GREAT jump start on getting into wicked shape and losing weight. If you can manage to add a few cardio sessions to your week as well, coupled with low carb, I bet the pounds will just MELT off you! Congrats on the prize
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 19:37

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry-24
Sounds like a plan! I'm not sure what "everything" is you need to learn to use: not a whole lot of equipment involved, is there? I'm curious-- Cheers-- Terry-24

The original Pilates system was (and still is) taught on a variety of different specialized machines- the main one being a "reformer." The machines are kinda spring loaded and resistance based. Basically, Pilates is doing bodyweight exercises on manual machines...Nowadays, since pilates has gotten so popular, there are many mat classes, which don't utilize the machines at all. If the studio you won the tickets to is good and you will get to use the machines, i think it's a great idea to take a couple classes before you decide to do the bootcamp. Pilates is not easy, at all. I took classes for months last year, to get in shape for my wedding, and it was in addition to doing some heavy lifting...the pilates kicked my a**, even though i was not weak in the least, to start with.
For the yoga half of the workouts, yes, there is very little equipment. The intensity of the workout depends on the type of yoga done. I prefer "bikram," which is done in a hot room...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 19:40

BF:

Oops, forgot about the original question- both are great no matter what type of diet your on. I also think that whoever mentioned that lots of lowcarbers on these boards possibly do these types of exercises is correct. If your taking a class (and spending the money-) the instructor damn well better be able to answer any question you have!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:04

BF:

A quick follow-up. I took my first private pilates lesson this morning, and am not sure what to think. Is it always that intimidating the first time you do it? The yoga studio I'm going to has the full array of machines, including the reformer (intimidating sounding name!). My instructor is a stickler about form, which is probably good. I'm not sure yet that I'll remember exactly how she told me to move, but I'm taking another private lesson tomorrow to follow-up and see what I retain.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the boot camp (it starts in 2 weeks). I really want to get in shape and speed up my weight loss a bit.

Thank you everyone for your advice here!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 20:39

BF:

Quote:
A quick follow-up. I took my first private pilates lesson this morning, and am not sure what to think. Is it always that intimidating the first time you do it? The yoga studio I'm going to has the full array of machines, including the reformer (intimidating sounding name!). My instructor is a stickler about form, which is probably good. I'm not sure yet that I'll remember exactly how she told me to move, but I'm taking another private lesson tomorrow to follow-up and see what I retain.

When i was taking pilates, it was intimidating until i got to know the instructor a little bit...I'm very shy and have a hard time, naturally, with public classes though.
Form is one of the most important apsects of every single type of exercise you will ever do- so it's good if she's correcting your form when she sees a problem. After a couple classes it should be easier to remember. Good luck with that bootcamp; you're gonna look great!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 11:44

Plan: Keto-ish Low Carb
Stats: 420/407/240 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 7%

A buddy of mine and myself did a program called P90x that had a yoga section. The most difficult part of the program was the yoga section. Every week no other part of the program brought the pain like yoga does.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I have been doing pilates with an instructor using the cadallac and the reformer for nearly a year now, it has absolutely transformed my body. I used to do a lot of weight training but for me personally the pilates has given me a far leaner stronger body than many years in the gym with a trainer ever did. Only draw back is it can be expensive for one on one sessions.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-07, 12:11

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamblets
I have been doing pilates with an instructor using the cadallac and the reformer for nearly a year now, it has absolutely transformed my body. I used to do a lot of weight training but for me personally the pilates has given me a far leaner stronger body than many years in the gym with a trainer ever did. Only draw back is it can be expensive for one on one sessions.

I just priced out the classes with the equipment. Private lessons are $70/each, and semi-private are $30-$40 depending on how many times a week you go. For now I'm sticking to the mat classes at my gym (free w/membership).