Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 11:58

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

chemistry at work.

I'm surprised something with high fructose corn syrup only has 1g of sugar per serving though.

2/3
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 06:07

Default What next?

This week I've been having a portion of fruit. I've been having the fruit as a dessert (after dinner) with some soy poor-excuse-for-cream but which is usweetened and lowfat and a sprinkle of splenda.

So far so good. But I reckon the scales will tell me the story come Monday.

Now I'm wondering what my next move should be. Should I stay at this point for another week, perhaps trying a different fruit - say bananas or apricots or cranberries.

or should I be brave and add a starch.

Also what's a good starch to add first? I plan to stay away from flours etc. and grains (based on advice etc.).

2/3
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 06:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2of3

This week I've been having a portion of fruit. I've been having the fruit as a dessert (after dinner) with some soy poor-excuse-for-cream but which is usweetened and lowfat and a sprinkle of splenda.

So far so good. But I reckon the scales will tell me the story come Monday.

Now I'm wondering what my next move should be. Should I stay at this point for another week, perhaps trying a different fruit - say bananas or apricots or cranberries.

or should I be brave and add a starch.

Also what's a good starch to add first? I plan to stay away from flours etc. and grains (based on advice etc.).

2/3

First of all, you should see what the scales have to say on Monday.

If you're happy with what they show, then you could perhaps progress to a starchy veggie, sweet potato for instance. Or, of course, you could try a different fruit.

However, it's really better to take it more slowly than you have done already with the fruit. Try some every other day for the first week, check the scales at the end, and then if it's fine, add it in every day for the week after that.

As we are all different, I would suggest that you check out the food lists for Phase II and decide what you would like to try and add in. Very often it is a case of trial and error ... some food items might be absolutely fine for you, but others might not. It's all a careful balancing act to find out what is best for you.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 06:19

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

JMHO, but I would probably add in another fruit. If you want to add in starch, try some of the starchy veggies such as green peas or sweet potatoes! Be careful of serving sizes though and watch to see how your body responds. You don't want to start bringing on cravings if you're prone to them!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 07:30

Come Monday I know I'm going to be scared to weigh. So far it's been positive results (lost 9lbs in phase 1) but I think that the bubble may soon burst.

I know it'll slow down but I'm afraid it'll reverse.

2/3
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 09:07

Plan: South Beach-Phase 2
Stats: 200/175/150 Female 68 in
BF:30/26.6/21
Progress: 50%

2 of 3,

I was also scared to move on, but I did just fine. I started with berries once a day/3-4 times a week, for a week. I still lost 2 lbs the first week. The next week, I ate the same way. I lost 1.5 lbs. I have tried different things, i.e. sweet potato, peas, whole grain bread, long-cooking oatmeal- for the last couple of weeks. I have not experienced any weight gain. I stayed the same for a week, but that was due to some indiscretions...
See what works for you, but I have still been losing with the add-ins.
I have to admit though, that I have been rather slow to add in new things!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-07, 23:57

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira
2 of 3,

I was also scared to move on, but I did just fine. I started with berries once a day/3-4 times a week, for a week. I still lost 2 lbs the first week. The next week, I ate the same way. I lost 1.5 lbs. I have tried different things, i.e. sweet potato, peas, whole grain bread, long-cooking oatmeal- for the last couple of weeks. I have not experienced any weight gain. I stayed the same for a week, but that was due to some indiscretions...
See what works for you, but I have still been losing with the add-ins.
I have to admit though, that I have been rather slow to add in new things!

Keira, that's awesome. That's exactly the way to go. Introduce things slowly and keep on losing. Weight loss is a slow process, so not being in a rush to throw in too many foods makes perfect sense.

2of3 - let us know how it goes!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 06:33

Thanks, Iceman!
I believe moderation is the key. I have allowed myself a treat every so often, but only a few bites. I still don't eat rice, white potatoes or pasta. Last week, I had whole wheat pasta (1/2 cup) for the first time in over 2 months. To me, that is a rare food-although legal. I actually lost 5 lbs in the last week without really trying hard. I can't believe it!!!
I may "think" that I didn't try hard, because this WOE has started to become easier and natural for me. So, it's like it doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort. I hope it remains this way for me.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 07:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I actually lost 5 lbs in the last week without really trying hard. I can't believe it!!!
I may "think" that I didn't try hard, because this WOE has started to become easier and natural for me. So, it's like it doesn't take a tremendous amount of effort. I hope it remains this way for me.

Way to go on that Whoooosh Keira!!

I'm so happy to read that this is becoming a natural way for you to eat....thats when it does become a lifestyle chnage that we can live with in maintenance...and get off the diet merry-go round.

Excellent progress!!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 07:28
Attitude is a Choice

double post...sorry!

Last edited by Judynyc : Fri, Jun-08-07 at 07:50. Reason: double post
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 09:00

Thanks!!
I still can't believe it. It has been a looooong time since I have seen the scale stop in the 170's. I kept getting off of the scale and getting back on. I thought there was some mistake. LOL
I am setting small 10 lb goals. My next is to see the scale stop at 170, then in the 160's. Attaining the small goals helps me from feeling overwhelmed by the ultimate goal.
Thanks to everyone for the support. I am so glad that I found you guys!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 09:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Thanks!!
I still can't believe it. It has been a looooong time since I have seen the scale stop in the 170's. I kept getting off of the scale and getting back on. I thought there was some mistake. LOL
I am setting small 10 lb goals. My next is to see the scale stop at 170, then in the 160's. Attaining the small goals helps me from feeling overwhelmed by the ultimate goal.
Thanks to everyone for the support. I am so glad that I found you guys!

I too, did the 10 lbs at a time...it was the best way for me to deal with losing over 100 lbs....it was a big mountain to climb....but 10 lbs at a time was very doable.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 09:12

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 280/211/200 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I too, did the 10 lbs at a time...it was the best way for me to deal with losing over 100 lbs....it was a big mountain to climb....but 10 lbs at a time was very doable.

10 lbs at a time is good until onederland is in sight (or pick your next major milestone, maybe 150?) Then I always want to do a big sprint. Never works though hehehe - slow and steady is the way to go.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 09:15

I'm not afraid to move on. I just want to move off in the most sensible direction and minimise the chances of set back.

Guess I'm lucky as I've never had the scale in the 170s problem.

2/3
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 09:30

The scale in the 170's is GOOD for me. I was stuck in the 190's for almost 3 yrs!