Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Gastroparesis & Low Carbing

I have been trying to do Atkins induction for the past three weeks. The first week I felt awful, and was dizzy and shaky, but I stayed with it. The second week I felt great! The third week my gastroparesis has started to really act up. I haven't been able to sleep, and I finally ate carbs yesterday late at night in a desperate attempt to put something gentle in my stomach and put myself to sleep (carbs make me sleepy).

I have purchased Dr. Bernstein's books, and Amazon has already shipped them. I have read that Dr. Bernstein addresses gastroparesis in his books.

I just need some help for the next few days. I feel desperate. My bgs have been great-- fastings under 95 and post-prandials always below 100. I have only lost 2 pounds, but I am coming to terms with the realization that I am not going to be able to lose weight easily, if at all.

What can I eat right now that is low carb but will also give my stomach a break, other than sf gelatin?

Thank you!

~~Amaara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 18:37

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Are you sure it's gastoparesis?

If so, he suggests 6 stages of meal plan modifications:

1- drinking at least two 8 oz glasses of sugar free caffeine free fluid while eating, and chewing slowly and thoroughly.

2- reduction of dietary fiber

3- virtual elimination of unground red meat, veal, pork, and fowl

4- reduction of protein at supper

5- introduction of four or more small daily meals, instead of three larger ones

6- semiliquid, or liquid, meals.

In the worst case scenario, he suggests baby food, unflavored whole-milk yogurt, and whole-milk ricotta cheese.

If you can keep your blood sugars normal, you very well may reverse the damage to the vagas nerve, curing the gastoparesis. This may take months or years, he says.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 18:57

Oh, and a trick he speaks of; chew a piece of sugar free gum for at least an hour after eating. The chewing stimulates your digestion.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 07:50

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

You might consider upping your carb intake to maybe 50 grams(you will have to determine the number that is the best tradeoff) rather then enduring Bernstein's torture regimen.
People that get a lot of physical activity sometimes can't tolerate an extremely low carb
diet.I'm one of these.Dina1957 is another.
Eddie
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-07, 11:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'll second Daryl's question: are you sure this is gastroparesis? How was this diagnosed? Can you describe what happens? In true gastroparesis, it wouldn't matter what you ate; all foods would cause nausea and vomiting.
http://www.medterms.com/script/main...articlekey=8286
I'm wondering if you are perhaps referring to gastroenteritis instead? If eating lighter foods helps, it sounds more like gastroenteritis to me.
In a case of gastroenteritis (also known as gastritis), avoiding spicy foods, carbonated beverages and anything with caffeine is a must until the inflammation subsides. Broths, Jellos, clear liquids and lighter proteins such as fish and eggs may be better tolerated as would smaller, more frequent meals.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 02:06

BF:

Daryl and eddiemcm, thanks so much for the suggestions! I am very grateful!

I was diagnosed with gastroparesis based upon the scintigraphic measurement of gastric emptying test I was put through. I must admit I am surprised at the skepticism with which my post was met. Why would you assume I would pull a condition out of thin air?

I have upped my carbs and the spasms have subsided. I have also gained two pounds, but at least I have been able to sleep.

Tomorrow is another day an all that!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 04:07

Hi Amaara. It wasn't scepticism, it was just wanting to know for certain. I hope you get things worked out.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 15:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm going to propose something novel to think about. Ysabella and I have been debating over dairy products and one thing I ran across in my researching is that dairy products (mostly cow based ones) have a sort of protein (A1 Casein) that breaks down into something called a casomorphin and one thing they know this does is to bind to opiod receptors in the gut and slow down digestion. Apparently other opiods do this too.

Anyway, if gastroperisis is slow stomach emptying then perhaps giving up dairy products could help? Or using only goat/sheep based ones. I realize gastroperisis could be caused by other things too.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 17:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Why would you assume I would pull a condition out of thin air?

Amaara, my questions were not intended as skepticism and I'm sorry if you took them that way. However, many people self-diagnose based on an internet search for their particular symptoms. I was only attempting to gather if you had been professionally diagnosed or were self-diagnosed.

That said, gastroparesis in diabetics is often caused by damage to the vagus nerve from chronically high blood sugars. With good control, many find that the condition does get better with time. The trick is in managing your blood sugars while also managing your symptoms of gastroparesis.

You mentioned that you were doing Atkins induction but then later said that you had to add 'some carbs'. What was your level of carb intake during induction? You may find that doing a sort of reverse induction where you start with your carb intake at 50-60 grams of carb and slowly lower them until you begin losing weight to be easier to tolerate then jumping in with a very low carb intake right off.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-07, 18:40

BF:

Thank you, Lisa N. I started at <20 grams. I tried to up my carbs using more veggies, but the cravings have come back with a vengence. I am going to try to get back down to <20 grams, but the fat really messes my stomach up. However, I haven't tried enough of the wonderful suggestions that Daryl made. I suspect that increasing water during means, chewing gum, and chewing more thoroughly will help. At least, I hope so.

This problem comes and goes with me. My endo has refused to prescribe Byetta due to it, even though it is suspected that upwards of 25% of Type II diabetics have gastroparesis and don't know it.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 00:32

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

"I must admit I am surprised at the skepticism with which my post was met. Why would you assume I would pull a condition out of thin air?"
Aamara,I didn't read all posts on this thread but
I hope I didn't say anything to make you think
I thought you were fabricating your condition.
We usually start threads with a question and
sometimes,after a few responses,the whole
thread drifts away from the original question.
I am making no sense.It's late.
Good night and very good luck to you
Eddie
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-07, 23:16

BF:

Nancy LC, funny you should mention that. I have given up dairy since I cannot afford the calories. I now use almond milk instead of half and half in my morning coffee (which shall be pried from my cold, dead hands...). I think you raise an interesing point. I hope it does some good to give up dairy!

Eddiemcm, you were wonderful, thank you!

Thanks again to everyone!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 09:00

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%

I never heard of this disorder and I've thought I read it all over the last 10 years of being a diabetic. It makes me wonder how many other dangers are lurking out there to defeat me and I am unaware as of yet... I looked up the treatment and I am posting it here.

------------------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis

Treatment of gastroparesis:

The primary treatment goal for gastroparesis related to diabetes is to regain control of blood glucose levels. Treatments include insulin, oral medications, changes in diet and meal timing, and, in severe cases, feeding tubes and intravenous feeding.

It is important to note that in most cases treatment does not cure gastroparesis--it is usually a chronic condition. Treatment helps manage the condition so that sufferers can be as healthy and comfortable as possible.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Gosh, it sounds like a deep hole to crawl out of, but if I heard you right, putting more carbs in to get a peaceful nights sleep isn't a way to resolve gastroparesis. From what I read at wikipedia, it seems that it really complicates things for a diabetic, because when carbs are reduced, almost always there is an increase in fats to some degree and extra fats can slow digestion and worsen the gastroparesis disorder. Not easy to deal with, I'm sure........

Now, I want to offer this comment. When we are eating higher carbs, our body is in a "sugar" burning mode. When we switch to lower carbs, our body is in a "fat burning mode". If we switch our eating habits drastically overnight, our digestive system will need several days if not a week or more to adjust to our changes in diet and we will experience symptoms not unlike some of those I read that one can experience with gastroparesis.

I understand you made it to the 3rd week and the 2nd week was fine and the 3rd week was awful, until you added carbs... My question is this: Even though you've had a professional medical diagnosis, why do you think that in the 2nd week you were doing so good? What do you think happened to make the 3rd week go wrong? I would spend some time thinking on this, because if I've learned anything while learning to manage my diabetes is to look over ever situation from every possible vantage point. For me, it is finding the trigger points and never giving up on finding a solution to what can sometimes seem insurmountable. Sometimes a simple solution as drinking an extra glass of water at an appropriate time was all it would take.

I hope I sound more encouraging than discouraging. At least that is my intention.... Good luck! I hope you can resolve it and then get that BG under total control one day and hopefully without any meds...... Never give up!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-06-07, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaara
Nancy LC, funny you should mention that. I have given up dairy since I cannot afford the calories. I now use almond milk instead of half and half in my morning coffee (which shall be pried from my cold, dead hands...). I think you raise an interesing point. I hope it does some good to give up dairy!

Report back your results of giving up dairy! There's lots of people who suffer from this on the Gluten Free forum... actually now that I think of it, you might want to avoid gluten too, it also breaks down into another opiod (5 actually) and might be even worse than dairy.

It's in anything with malt, barley, rye, wheat, soy sauce (unless you get wheat free ones), beer (unless you buy GF ones) and anything like low carb wraps, breads, bars etc.