Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-07, 23:33

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Since the topic opened with a shot of a squirrel skin and the mention of preservation, FYI the old adage that an animal has just enough brains to tan its own hide is correct. Works better than salt, but you have to flesh the hide meticulously.

Last edited by fetch : Sun, Aug-19-07 at 23:41.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 00:16

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

CVH's post isn't so much about a low carb alternative as it is about how clever he is and boasting about what a great shot he is. Meat is meat, right? I think some dog and cat owners would disagree with you, CVH. However, I agree that squirrels are vermin; I have several fruit trees, and they totally ruin my crop.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-07, 00:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
Since the topic opened with a shot of a squirrel skin and the mention of preservation, FYI the old adage that an animal has just enough brains to tan its own hide is correct. Works better than salt, but you have to flesh the hide meticulously.

Never tried the brains method, but it sounds like a good alternative when salt is not around.

Quote:
CVH's post isn't so much about a low carb alternative as it is about how clever he is and boasting about what a great shot he is. Meat is meat, right? I think some dog and cat owners would disagree with you, CVH. However, I agree that squirrels are vermin; I have several fruit trees, and they totally ruin my crop.

Meat is meat, I'm not a hypocrite or favor any animal over others, If I'm hungry and there's nothing around but a cat I'll eat it, dogs however I would leave them for hunting and finding water, if weak or injured, yes, I would eat them without hesitation.

And yes, I am boasting about my intelligence and accuracy, I am proud of what I can do and if a few lines of me proud of what I did annoys you, stay out of my threads in the future, I tend to be proud of what I can do, somewhat like you in a way, as apparent by your started threads on cooking and how good you are at it, how is that different? not.

I believe this is how everyone should obtain their food, not just buying it, pre-killed, pre skinned, pre gutted, pre washed, pre everything from a supermarket which obtains it from a "farm" where unnatural things are done to animals because people want the comfort of using their Visa instead of bloodying their hands and doing what they needs to be done to obtain their precious steaks.

Every chance I get to enhance my hunting skills, I seize it, the less I pay for my food, the less I support food corps. that one is almost forced to support and the more skill and effeciency I have, if anyone thinks killing certain animals is more "right" than others, congrats, you have been brainwashed, dog and cat owners can disagree all they want, that makes them morons, not right, how can one justify killing one species but not another, based on what?

Sorry about your fruit trees, squirrels taste good.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 01:24

I don't know about "brainwashed", but we all certainly have been subject to social conditioning. Given the choice of squirrel or starve, I'd choose squirrel. I'm sure I would eat just about anything edible if starving, but the key words are, "just about." I wouldn't eat my pet, and I wouldn't eat a dead baby human, even if it is meat. I'm sure you understand the distinction.

"I believe this is how everyone should obtain their food,"

Maybe in an ideal world, which had a much smaller population of humans, this would be possible, but if everyone tried to sustain themselves by hunting, there would be no wildlife left. We would rapidly hunt many species to extinction without a bit of self-restraint, or (God forbid!) availing ourselves of a supermarket steak.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:31

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

www.braintan.com is a good resource.

The primary reason for society tabooing the idea of eating fiffy or fluffy is companion animals are child/family surrogates in this country. Wonderful news for the multi-billion dollar pet product industry.

Personally, the only reason to pass on cat/dog is because they're cateogorized under "carnivore" meat and something about the taste of such (i.e., bear/cougar) is off-putting and not very pleasant. Of course, considering how much grain and vegetable product/by-product is in today's commerical pet food, I may be mistaken....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
Maybe in an ideal world, which had a much smaller population of humans, this would be possible, but if everyone tried to sustain themselves by hunting, there would be no wildlife left. We would rapidly hunt many species to extinction without a bit of self-restraint, or (God forbid!) availing ourselves of a supermarket steak.

And just to play DA....If it weren't for the advent of supermarkets, there would be a much smaller population of humans. I question whether that should be considered a negative thing.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 13:53

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
I question whether that should be considered a negative thing.

Probably. The world is overpopulated, and if there was a smaller population of people, and we all did go out and kill and eat our own food instead of buying it precut, prepackaged, pre everthing.. would we be in a war right now?
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 22:26

um...we ARE in a war right now. In Iraq. But I know what you mean. Yes, I believe we would all be at each others throats for increasingly scarce natural resources without animal husbandry.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 23:11

BF:

Quote:
um...we ARE in a war right now. In Iraq. But I know what you mean. Yes, I believe we would all be at each others throats for increasingly scarce natural resources without animal husbandry.

I didn't say we weren't in a war.. So I don't know why you feel the need to emphasize that we are. I guess you misunderstood what I was saying.

What I was trying to point out, was that if we did not have supermarkets, we would not be as populated as we are, therefore, not as 'advanced' (meaning, no 3rd world country 1st world country bull crap) as we are now. The world would be relatively equal when it came to how we ate.. so if we were not as advanced as we are today, would we be in a war now? Its a hypothetical question, or actually, a question that shouldn't need to be asked. But I won't turn this into a political debate.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 23:55

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 000/200/000 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I don't know about "brainwashed", but we all certainly have been subject to social conditioning. Given the choice of squirrel or starve, I'd choose squirrel. I'm sure I would eat just about anything edible if starving, but the key words are, "just about." I wouldn't eat my pet, and I wouldn't eat a dead baby human, even if it is meat. I'm sure you understand the distinction.

"I believe this is how everyone should obtain their food,"

Ok since you're going for extremes, for pets, like I said before, if I was reduced to nothing but bones and some tiny amount of muscle and there was a dead human baby, I would devour it, without hesitation, I would use it to the last ounce, bones, flesh and everything, I will not die when an energy source is infront of me, no matter where it comes from, don't get confused, I would never harm another human being unless in self defense, but it's like this, me and you in an isolated area, whoever has the most fat, wins, because if you die, I'm not letting you go to waste, I'm eating as much as I can and making pemmican out of the rest of you.

And if I were to die 1st, I wish you would do the same to me, these are not "normal" conditions, these are extreme conditions, and they call for extreme measures, no matter how cruel or inhuamne this seems, the logical choice is to do it.

Quote:
www.braintan.com is a good resource.

The primary reason for society tabooing the idea of eating fiffy or fluffy is companion animals are child/family surrogates in this country. Wonderful news for the multi-billion dollar pet product industry.

Personally, the only reason to pass on cat/dog is because they're cateogorized under "carnivore" meat and something about the taste of such (i.e., bear/cougar) is off-putting and not very pleasant. Of course, considering how much grain and vegetable product/by-product is in today's commerical pet food, I may be mistaken....

Quote:

And just to play DA....If it weren't for the advent of supermarkets, there would be a much smaller population of humans. I question whether that should be considered a negative thing.

Good site, thanx.

Not supermarkets, but the Neolithic reveloution, I believe it's the downfall of man.

Quote:
Probably. The world is overpopulated, and if there was a smaller population of people, and we all did go out and kill and eat our own food instead of buying it precut, prepackaged, pre everthing.. would we be in a war right now?

Intertribal conflict, and always the "bad apples" that do not respect boundaries and territory, power struggles, over authority, position and females, all animals have something like that.

Quote:

The Iraqi military surrendered, so did the Afghan military as far as I know, this is guerrilla warfare at it's best, civil war applies too, I never cared for the Iraq war, I didn't care if saddam killed all his people, not my problem, but the Afghan war was justified, these were the real people behind 9/11, Al Qaeda in Iraq is different than the one in Afghanistan and it's not behind 9/11.

Now, humans cannot live without society and law, because they have been conditioned to it, take that away......and the shit is really gonna hit the fan, but if that had not been the case and Anarcho-Primitivism was the law as it was before, it would be order, not Anarchy.

Quote:
I didn't say we weren't in a war.. So I don't know why you feel the need to emphasize that we are. I guess you misunderstood what I was saying.

What I was trying to point out, was that if we did not have supermarkets, we would not be as populated as we are, therefore, not as 'advanced' (meaning, no 3rd world country 1st world country bull crap) as we are now. The world would be relatively equal when it came to how we ate.. so if we were not as advanced as we are today, would we be in a war now? Its a hypothetical question, or actually, a question that shouldn't need to be asked. But I won't turn this into a political debate.

I was talking to my friend about this, how I believe society was created by weak men, "beta"males, who could've never been at the top if it were't for society, ofcourse, it's way more complex than this, but a good quote comes to mind:

RATS GET FAT WHILE GOOD MEN DIE IN THE MILITARY AND PRISON.

I

#40   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 00:04

BF:

LOL. what a cute little critter. My mom shot a neighborhood cat in the butt when she was younger and the next time she saw that cat, it was pulling itself around on a kitty cart (as she called it) because its back legs didn't work anymore.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 11:47

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Laughter, anyone?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:24

BF:

Hahahaha???
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 12:55

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Y'all are pikers. I have 10--count 'em--10 cats. And we've already figured out who'd be the first to take a chomp out of us should we croak before them and which one would be tastiest in the opposite situation.

Frankly, I shudder to think what would happen in this country should we face any real hardships. The majority of us have no survival skills.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

And who'd want to survive in CVH's dooooooomed world.... he's welcome to it I say
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:44

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
And who'd want to survive in CVH's dooooooomed world.... he's welcome to it I say

I think he's a bit more in touch with reality than a lot of people. Look at New Orleans, a lot of which has been reduced to Third World level after Katrina. About four years ago we had a tropical storm come through our city and we were out of power for eight days. I saw fistfights in the supermarket over bottled water and diapers--and this was a supermarket located in an upper middle class area. Being a woman makes you even more vulnerable.