Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: warrior diet/ low carb
Stats: 130/110/110 Female 5' 7''
BF:18%
Progress: 100%
Default bad low carb habit- do you do it, too?

I admit it, I have a terrible habit of judging others based upon the contents of their shopping cart. I realized that this habit is becoming pretty bad the other day while I was at Wal-mart. I actually pretended like I was examining some cookies just so that I could get a closer look at the diet foods another shopper was purchasing. In my head I was thinking , "you shouldn't be eating those 100 calorie pack oreo's", and "you really think that low fat granola is healthy? ha!"

Meanwhile, I am smugly prancing around with my cart, loaded with red meat, bacon, eggs, cream, and sugar free jello. Its really awful, but I can't seem to help myself. anybody else do this, or anything similiar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I've done that too. And most of the time, those low fat dieters are really big! I just want to point them in the direction of this forum.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 206.6/206.6/165 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yes, I do that too. And I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 15:00

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default You just have to be prepared for the other stories

The guy who just moved out from his wife and is buying enough to furnish his one-BR apartment. Or maybe it was a housefire.

The somewhat odd HUGE cartfuls of food and cleaning supplies when the group homes come in late in the evening to buy a week's worth for 10 or 20 people.

The lady buying EVERY bottle of bleach they had. I had to ask. She ran a dairy and their supplier had missed a delivery.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 15:02

Stats: 300/172.5/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 102%

That's funny! I found myself doing that this week as well but at work during a potluck watching twenty people fill up their plates with full mexican/taco bar and then eat 3 pieces of cake! I even have one co-worker who is diabetic, very overweight, has high cholesterol and his doctor wants to put him on meds...he asked me how I had lost all my weight and I told him on Atkins and then he tells me that this WOL isn't healthy! I just told him that I would rather control all of the above with my diet than with meds any day! Ha Ha!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 15:06
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Yes, but then those people with the 100 calorie snack packs are looking at your bacon, eggs and cream and thinking you are going to die of a heart attack anyday.

They probably wish they could point you to their vegetarian health forum!

Val
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 16:05

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
Yes, but then those people with the 100 calorie snack packs are looking at your bacon, eggs and cream and thinking you are going to die of a heart attack anyday.

Oh yes, I've had people comment on all the high fat stuff in my basket, and then be dumbfounded when I tell them I lost 50lb eating this stuff.

But I must admit, I do look at other people's shopping, especially if I know they have children in the house. My kids are normal sized, but they look like stick insects compared with some of their neighbours, who seem to spend all their time munching biscuits and crisps. I discovered that at Halloween, most kids avoid our house because they know we'll give them fruit and nuts, not sweets.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 16:09

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

when i first started lowcarbing 10 years ago, i'd mentally inventory other peoples' carts to tweak them for low-carb. now i just see people buying things like the lean cuisine or other low-fat/low-cal prepackaged meals and giant tubs of low-fat ice cream, full-lead sodas, and appreciate my fresh veggies, real dairy, and meats even more.

one time i did have someone at costco say something to me... when i go to costco, it's pretty much just for meats. i bought 16 chickens one day and had someone ask if i needed a coupon for them. i thought she was offering one. she was asking because i was buying so many.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 16:14

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

When I first started this WOL back in 2002 I used to do that. Now I only notice if I'm very bored. However one thing I do is look at what foods people have in their fridge. My bf lives with two overweight girls, one of them is on WW and the fridge is filled with light cheese etc. yet the place is always filled with sweets and chocolate. Like there is always a supply around. Obviously a sugar addict like I used to be and WW just makes it all worse.

I'd love to be able to say something but really how could I? I wouldn't want to comment on someone's weight and food choices. I jsut wish the world was more educated about what good nutrition actually is.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 16:23
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG
That's funny! I found myself doing that this week as well but at work during a potluck watching twenty people fill up their plates with full mexican/taco bar and then eat 3 pieces of cake! I even have one co-worker who is diabetic, very overweight, has high cholesterol and his doctor wants to put him on meds...he asked me how I had lost all my weight and I told him on Atkins and then he tells me that this WOL isn't healthy! I just told him that I would rather control all of the above with my diet than with meds any day! Ha Ha!

I find it so difficult to take advice from someone stuffing their face full of cake!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 17:27

Plan: My own.
Stats: 121/121/110 Female 5'3"
BF:21.4/21.4/19.5
Progress: 0%

My dirty little habit is to sit in class with my colleagues and eye them up when things get boring. I look at their body, then look at their drinks and snacks. I go person to person and laugh to myself. You know how it is, the 2 Kit Kats and a Diet Dr. Pepper. The 2 Frapuccinos in the bottle chased with a danish. HAHAHA.... Everyone but about 3 are overweight.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 17:33
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

No wonder I'm so self conscious when I go out in public.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 18:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/147.5/130 Female 5'1 1/2
BF:
Progress: 68%

No, I don't notice. It is none of my business. I try not to judge others in any aspect and that includes their food choices.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 18:44
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I'm afraid I am not quite so much of a saint as Craney.

Of COURSE, I notice what others have in their carts. And I also wonder what they must think of the high fat stuff I have in mine. (That's gotten easier as I've lost weight).

When my husband was alive, I must have really confused folks. He was way underweight, so I'd buy high fat meats, high carb soups, lots of vegetables and lots of Starbuck's ice cream. Along with the white chocolate covered Oreos at Christmas time.

Kay
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-03-07, 19:27
Contributing Member

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:lots
Progress: 12%

There's not much else to do when you're standing in line other than watch what other people put on the conveyor belt, or read the tabloids. I find the conveyor belt a lot more interesting.

I'm sure people must think a typical low carb cart is very strange. All that meat, all those eggs, lots of veggies, but nothing processed. I'm sure it just doesn't compute.