Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 14:56

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

Jazzfan, your stats are great!....I was 304 lbs and then I lost weight down to 273 and then started the Atkins at 273....your stats encourage me!...I love these boards....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 15:22

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 320/295/180 Female 67 inches
BF:too much thanks!
Progress: 18%

Thanks so much! I've pretty much hit a wall for months and get kind of discouraged. So I keep those stats around to remind me where I've been. You look like you're well on your way too!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-07, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/194/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'm using Adams 100% Natural Creamy (I purchase it at Wal-mart here in Ontario, Canada) the label reads; for 1 Tbs. 2 grams carbs but also 2 grams fibre so basically it is carb free. Best part is I love natural peanut butter and hate the sweet 'regular' stuff. Hope this helps. Diane
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 08:45

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

That seems questionable, considering peanuts do have carbs. How can a product made from an item that has carbs miraculously have no carbs? Does not compute.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 09:40

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by susansmk
That seems questionable, considering peanuts do have carbs. How can a product made from an item that has carbs miraculously have no carbs? Does not compute.

Hahahaha...A tribute to the wonderful paradox that "nothing is too wonderful to be true?"

Jokes aside, I use Adams natural. Essentially, it is just smashed peanuts making the small carb content all but meaningless.

Best of luck!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 11:38

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

we use either the adams or laura scudder's peanut butter, and apparently they are both acutally smucker's. the laura scudder's is cheaper though. they sell peanut butter mixers on the website, how funny. i do hate mixing i the oil though, i never seem to do a good enough job, and on occasion, i'll get a jar that seems to have a wee bit too much oil.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 06:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

The fibre is essentially carbohydrate that your body cannot use except to slow down the absorption of other carbs and to 'sweep' clean your intestines, therefore you must subtract the fibre from the carb count on the label to get your 'net' carb count,,,, the one that affects your blood sugar and therefore your weight-loss. That's the miracle......
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 17:09

Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

True, but after subtracting fiber, the peanut still has carbs. I'm looking at 4.52 total carbs in one ounce of peanuts, minus 2.38 for fiber equals 2.14. Thus, peanuts still have carbs. So unless the crushing of the peanut somehow dissolves the remaining carbs, peanut butter (being made from said peanuts) still must have carbs.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 17:55

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianomite
I'm using Adams 100% Natural Creamy (I purchase it at Wal-mart here in Ontario, Canada) the label reads; for 1 Tbs. 2 grams carbs but also 2 grams fibre so basically it is carb free. Best part is I love natural peanut butter and hate the sweet 'regular' stuff. Hope this helps. Diane
According to thedailyplate.com it has per 2 tablespoons (http://www.thedailyplate.com/food-n...-butter-16-oz.)
Quote:
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 5mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 7g 2%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Sugars 2g
Protein 7g
so a net carbcount of 5 gm carbs!!

Your label must be a non-USA type one with the fibre not included in the carbs!!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-07, 20:59

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'm looking at 4.52 total carbs in one ounce of peanuts, minus 2.38 for fiber equals 2.14.

Wow!

There's a degree of "excactness" that is truly remarkable.

Jokes aside, the OP shouldn't be concerned about trace amount of carbs. Success or failure aint gonna hinge on 2.14 carbs.

Happy PB'ing!

Frederick
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 04:16
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 202/172/130 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometeam
I'm assuming that's the Carb Options, which is a spread, 65% peanuts....not sure what makes up the other 35%. And it's 5g carbs, 3 net. Natural peanut butter is 6g carbs, 4 net.

yes i was saying 3g net carbs so its less than 4net..not too bad if you ask me!
there are plently of ingredients in other "low carb" items that are unknown..but we continue to eat them
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 16:25
Registered Member

BF:

I agree that 2grams net carbs are not going to make or break anybody but my actual Adams container says per 15 grams (1 Tbs.) 100 cals, 8 gms. fat, 55 mg. sodium, 2 gm. carbohydrate, 2 gm. fibre, 1 gm. sugar and 4 gm. protein. That is from their label, not some website or assumption that a peanut is a peanut is a peanut etc.... either way, I'll go by the label. (-; Maybe when the peanut is crushed and the oil separates that may affect the carb count depending on how many peices of the peanut actually settles in the oil???? I dunno, just a guess.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 17:48

Stats: -/-/- Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress:

Instead of peanut butter, I use Dixie Diner's Low Carb Beanit-Not Butter. It's a soy product. I think it tastes better than regular peanut butter. It's also not as sweet -- which appeals to me. If you do like sweeter nut butter, just put a bit of Splenda in it. I would say that the texture is a bit more firm than regular peanut butter, but not by much.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 18:05

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianomite
I agree that 2grams net carbs are not going to make or break anybody but my actual Adams container says per 15 grams (1 Tbs.) 100 cals, 8 gms. fat, 55 mg. sodium, 2 gm. carbohydrate, 2 gm. fibre, 1 gm. sugar and 4 gm. protein. That is from their label, not some website or assumption that a peanut is a peanut is a peanut etc.... either way, I'll go by the label. (-; Maybe when the peanut is crushed and the oil separates that may affect the carb count depending on how many peices of the peanut actually settles in the oil???? I dunno, just a guess.

If there's 1 gram of sugar, there's no way the net carbs are 0. Also, the calories don't add up. Protein and carbohydrates each have 4 calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram. 4 grams protein times 4 calories per gram=16 calories. 2 grams carbohydrates times 4 calories per gram=16 calories. 8 grams fat times 9 calories per gram=72 calories. 16+16+72=96 calories. That doesn't equal the 100 calories they claim. Now let's add that 1 gram of sugar (4 calories) that they magically left out of the total carbohydrates. 96+4=100 calories. That makes it finally add up. It can't have--and doesn't have--zero net carbs.

Last edited by TimesTwo : Tue, Apr-03-07 at 18:14.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-07, 06:33
Registered Member

BF:

I thought I was done but I can't resist,,, fibre. You've not taken the fibre into consideration. In all Atkins books fibre is the one thing that can completely negate any carbohydrate and is probably one of the most important considerations when low-carbing. This particular brand (Adams) is all natural with no added sugar and it is obvious by the taste. You can also feel the fibre in your mouth and can rest assured it is getting in the way of any absorption of any glucose. I don't consider calories and just can't get that fickle about it, we gotta live. Now I'm done.