Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 19:38

Plan: New to SB
Stats: 340/327.0/220 Female 67 inches
BF:Lots!
Progress: 11%
Default Shallow Hal

I know it's an old movie but I've only just started watching tonight for the first time ever.I've been avoiding it. I feel so bad. It's sad. Well, so far into the movie Jack Black just went to the diner with the girl and her chair just gave out.

For those who haven't seen it, Jack Black plays a shallow guy who only dates perfect women. He gets trapped in an elevator with Anthony Robbins who hypnotizes him so he only sees the beauty in people and isn't shallow anymore. So, he goes out and sees in his mind all these fat women to be beautiful gorgeous women. He runs into Gwynith Paltrow who is actually a big fat woman, but in his eyes he sees, well, Gwynith Paltrow. Her character is so shy and after their first date she says if he doesn't call her again "it's ok, I understand if you don't."

I just..I guess this movie makes me feel a little blue because it happens to so many people. Overlooked and invisible because of weight.

I was tempted to never watch this movie because I knew I'd feel bad, but I think this is a good reminder to myself on some level.

Anyone else see this movie? Like I said , it's kind of old. 2001, I think.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 19:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I caught the last half of it on HBO not too long ago, and yes it is sad. The end irritated me - how noble of Jack Black's character to "settle" for the heavy gal. Boy, if it weren't for kind souls like that taking pity on us, we'd all be alone, right? Give me a break.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 19:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I saw it too...it made me cringe in discomfort when I saw those scenes.

The good news is that you are on your way to a new life in a smaller body.

But I do have vivid memories of how I was treated before I lost the weight....and I know that I'll never forget it. Being that big was bad enough in and of itself for me....being treated like crap on the street made it much worse.

Its much easier to lose the weight than it was to live as overweight as I was.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 20:08

Plan: moderately LC
Stats: 188/160.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

ironically, i loved the movie. and i didn't think he "settled" for the heavy girl. i think he'd finally recognized that true beauty is the INNER beauty, and felt like he'd be "settling" if he gave up the girl he loved in favor of dating someone with the body of a supermodel.

there were some sad scenes. and i really don't like the fact that they made her unattractive when they added all that padding. heavy women don't have to be unattractive.

but overall, i thought the movie was very positive. it reminds me of one of the reasons i fell in love with my husband, if you don't mind me telling a little story.

at the time, i weighed about what i'm trying to get back to. somewhere around 120. i was thin, i had a nice body.

my husband had just gotten a divorce from his previous wife, and we were out shopping with my kids. he said the most amazing thing, while we were talking about his divorce. he said that he still thought his ex-wife was the sexiest woman he'd ever known.

she was 5'2" and weighed over 240 lbs.

like shallow hal, my husband had learned to see beyond what you see with your eyes. and all i wanted was a man who could love me that much that my appearance would never matter. and in the end, that's who i got. he doesn't care that i'd gained appx. 30 lbs since we married. that's MY issue, but it certainly isn't his.

maybe that's why i love the movie so much.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 20:54

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I must have seen a different ending. Didn't his character have a shot with the thin girl next door, and decide to turn it down because he really loved the Paltrow character?

I didn't take it as settling at all.

That said, the movie didn't do much for me.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 21:28
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyC
there were some sad scenes. and i really don't like the fact that they made her unattractive when they added all that padding. heavy women don't have to be unattractive.

Well, you see LadyC, we here in the Triple Digit Club, know intimately well, how it feels to be that big...and how it feels when people treat us poorly.

That is exactly why Greenwitch posted it in here and not on the General Low Carb forum. Its a subject that requires having been there or are still there, to know what it feels like.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 21:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Kyrasdad- that's how I took the ending, too. he realized he loved HER heavy or not, and that real beauty is who you are and how you treat people, not what you looked like. It even pointed out, even ham-handedly, that the so-called beautiful people can be the real ugly ones.

Not exactly Oscar material, true, but I thought for all the negative hype, that it was overall positive in the story.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 22:49

Plan: New to SB
Stats: 340/327.0/220 Female 67 inches
BF:Lots!
Progress: 11%

Ok, I finished watching the movie. At the end he sees her and says "OMG you're beautiful" and that right there was fabulous. I guess parts of the movie made me feel sad, like the breaking of the furniture, the overeating, the comments from people and her hanging out with unattractive people only as friends, etc. Grrr..stereo types. But anyway, I liked the ending.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-23-07, 23:02
Fully Caffeinated

I think they had to take you "there" for the ending to really work. There were a few cheap sight gags, but I caught my self laughing at half of them myself. <shrug> Better to laugh than to cry, I figure.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 05:51

Stats: 338/280/150 Female 65 in
BF:too much
Progress: 31%

actually i love that movie. the first time i saw it i was a little uncomfortable because that's how i always viewed myself. i always thought, and still do sometimes, that people are snickering when i walk into a room full of strangers. but as i kept watching and then seeing over and over (more than 20 times) i'm starting to laugh at all the dumb humor in it. i've broken chairs, a bed (in laws a year and a half ago), and many toys that lay around here for my crushing.

funny, five years ago i sat in one of those silly plastic chairs you see every where and anywhere. when we bought our house the previous owner left a few here by the pool when they took their patio set. i was sitting in one on a nice summer day talking on the phone and the leg gave out. i had it too close to the edge of the landscaping and i fell down, down down. i rolled face and head down all the rocks...for the life of me i couldn't get up. i don't think i never laughed so hard at myself..luckily dh was in the kitchen and saw out the window my tumble and came out to rescue me...sad thing is i was 20 pounds lighter then than now needless to say we bought a nice 'heavy duty' patio set the following week.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 08:39
Fully Caffeinated

I think about Rosemary and her group of friends. They didn't spend their time wallowing in self-pity about their lots in life, they were too busy making a difference in the lives of those kids and all.

I really felt there was a bit too much "laughing at" in there, but when I re-watched it in a better frame of mind, I could see the "laughing with" aspect of it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 09:47

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 282/270/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

never saw it
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

It is very sad, I have seen it but Some people are happy with there weight and she seem to be. I loved the part where he found himself that he did love her and it ddidnt matter that she was heavy
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 10:43

Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

I'm not a TDC'er, but I wanted to comment on this movie.

I didn't find anything funny about this "Comedy" movie. Since when is it alright to ridicule a person for nearly the entirety of a movie and then try to end it with a warm fuzzy feeling?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-24-07, 10:56

Plan: moderately LC
Stats: 188/160.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

it was the 'moral of the story' that was supposed to be gotten from it. society DOES ridicule overweight people, every day, all day long. hal was one of those people. he couldn't see beyond the the physical. he objectified women. if they didn't fit his 'ideal', they weren't worth acknowledging as human beings.

that's exactly what society does. if the movie had been a drama instead of a comedy, you'd probably have loved it... but it wouldn't have been a box office hit, and the many people whose attitudes may have changed as a result of that movie would never have learned the lesson it.