Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 14:44

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

You wrote, "Are you aware that trans fat is created by "whipping" fat in vats? "

Nope...wasn't aware of that. And it makes no sense to me. Could you please direct me somewhere that discusses how this can happen? So far, as my understanding goes, heat is require to "create" trans fats. Even if you are "whipping" at a really high speed, I cannot imagine it would generate the kind of heat needed to create a trans fat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-05-07, 19:14

Plan: South Beach (was Atkins)
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Apparently
Progress: 36%

I watched an episode of Unwrapped on the food channel, where the peanut factory said they hydrogenated their oil by whipping it in large batches so that it wouldn't be liquid at room temperature.

But doing some research, I've found this:

`Hydrogenation changes the unsaturated and essential fatty acids present in a natural oil. In this process, oils are reacted under pressure with hydrogen gas at high temperature (120 to 210 C; [248 to 410 F) in the presence of a metal catalyst (usually nickel [a confirmed carcinogen], but sometimes platinum or even copper) for 6 to 8 hours.'

So, apparently, either the peanut people were wrong about what they were doing, or there are other ways of doing it. So, I'm not sure. But they called it "hydrogenation" and I played it back on my Tivo at the time because I was surprised by that. There wasn't any heat involved in their process, and they said it introduced more oxygen/hydrogen into the food.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-07, 06:17

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

The above makes sense.
YOu have both temperature and pressure working together to force the hydrogenation. It is not the whipping at all (that just keeps it moving). So if anyone takes their peanut butter and whips it around and puts it back in, there's no hydrogenation going on (unless they are doing it under high temperature or higher temperature and pressure). I do believe the catalyst is key to the process as well.

The peanut people were probably not wrong...they just didn't want to give their "complete process" away as it might be a brand-unique process. That's how they often do it on "Unwrapped" - especially for companies that have a secret formula or a secret process.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-07, 10:58
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

NanAng, when I first read your other post I had one of those "What the????" moments, but to your credit you did inspire me to go online and do a little perusing myself. My quote about hydrogenation (which is similar to yours) is

Quote:
Hydrogenation was introduced in the early 1900s to solidify oil and make a more-stable product than lard, tallow or liquid oil. In the process of hydrogenation, processors bubble hydrogen gas through polyunsaturated oil at high temperature in the presence of a catalyst, such as nickel or a mixture of nickel and sulfur. "The hydrogen gas reacts with the fat, basically destroying the polyunsaturated fats and creating a new kind of fat called trans fat," states Gerald McNeill, Ph.D., R&D director, Loders Crocklaan USA, Channahon, IL. "The structure of trans fat is different from most fatty acids found in nature. Basically, it's a synthetic substance. Now having said that, there is some natural trans fat in beef and milkfat." These fatty acids, however, not only are structurally different, they have a different metabolic effect when consumed.

Therefore, I'm confident that taking my mixing and making my natural PB fluffier with air is not creating something unhealthy for me! *phew*

Ipioch makes a great point about the Unwrapped espisode...it could be a proprietary technique they have, plus they have to oversimplify everything for the show anyhow...and then to add to that, I figure since hydrogenation has such a bad name that they don't want to spend too much time talking about anyhow!

I think I'm going to go get some peanut butter now.