Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 01:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Angry My Weight Watchers Experience

I've had a bit of history with Weight Watchers, as I'm sure you all have! Let's share these experiences!
I've had a Doctor in the past ( a few actually) recommend weight watchers.

Well after joining, failing, and re-joining a couple of times, I was finally at my breaking point at 150kg.
A friend of mine who was a 'weigher' at the meetings suggested I fill their empty 'recorder' space, that way I could attend meetings for free (having a lot of weight to loose - I would save $$).

I did end up loosing 30kg, and gaining back 55kg - all whilst I was a recorder for two years! Some support!

WW is a Big Business, and they make a shite load of money. How? They pay didley squat to the workers. The leader gets bugger all - sometimes only $25 for her half a day. the recorder and weigher would get around $11 a piece, and if you weren't at goal - you don't get paid as a recorder and weigher - their justification was - you are getting the meeting free which is now about $17 a week!

I was recording for two years - and it was a job. Every Saturday morining I gave up my time. The thing is people would come late to the meetings and some would want to leave, so most meetings I would be recording the whole time (whilst the actual session was running).

I was foolish, I was starving! They pump you full of hype, and little sayings to 'motivate' you! It's damn difficult when you have a lot of weight to loose!

The most successful people where those you had lost ten kg or under to get to goal (and they call that a weight problem!)

The hard thing was seeing the return failures. If your were a LTM (Life Time member) and gained weight - you come back and get a discount. So many people did I sign up who were enormously overweight and had LTM discount cards. It was difficult for me to believe in the diet too, when a few leaders started to gain back the weight (fighting low metabolisms) . Some leaders even left because of that, I see them at the shops every now and again and they have unfortunately ballooned.

We had a shake up in our area and a few ladys were sacked as co-ordinators. The meetings got changed around and I was not invited to be a 'recorder' at any of the new Meetings (even with my two years experience). One of my friends who was a leader told me that the new co-ordinator (Who was a bitch) didn't want anyone working who wasn't at goal, it was an image thing!

The irony is that an organisation that supposedly was set up to help 'fat' people, was discriminating against me because I was 'fat'!

I don't blame everyone who gained back their weight on WW, because this Weight Watchers program does not work in fighting obesity for the long term!

phew! long post!

LC_Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 07:55

Plan: PP
Stats: 270/220.4/220
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi LC_Dave
Good for you!!!! You give it to them !!!! I'm pretty darned angry myself with all this nonsence different weight loss organisations are giving out too.
I've not joined "WW" myself, but know heaps of people who have, and guess what - every single one of them have failed to keep whatever weight they lost off!!!
I have joined a local weight watchers group, it is not the one we are talking about, has a very similar name, but totally different outlook. They basically give food choice advise, and LOTS of support, which I need. it's up to each individual which plan they use, and they don't knock/discourage anything. A couple of people have asked what I am doing, because I have been very successfull with LC, so I am starting to get the message across to those who ask.
One thing I have been noticing - in our local sunday paper there is always a sort of health/beauty liftout. Today I was having a pretty good look at it, and I couldn't believe the number of references from many different places to carbohydrates, and what part it plays in your diet.
Maybe the penny has dropped to some orgs ???
I sure hope so !!!!!!

Anyway, good luck with your LCarbing
bye for now
Kaye
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:12
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Dave!
I, too, was pretty fed up with WW.
Money definitely seems to be their main interest.
I joined 2 years ago; lost 13 kg in 17 weeks. Couldn't go for 6 weeks (hurt my foot and couldn't drive) and as it was going to cost me extra(!) to go back I thought I could continue on my own.
I regained 10 kg so restarted a year later.
I was horrified to see all the same old faces - all at the same big weights. I think those ladies were using it as a social outing as much as anything.
I only lasted 2 weeks the second time; the leader was a different one and as a grown-up, I very much resented the way she "talked down" to us.
So I joined WW BY Mail. What a take! The same old booklets, you send them your weight each week and they (most weeks it was a different person) send you back some encouraging words. They must have a supply of letters they swap around. At first, I used to tell them how I was going, expecting some response, but everything I said was totally ignored. And of course if you don't post off your weight (usually because you've gained and are feeling depressed) ther's no way they'll follow up. You pay your money up front and that's what they care about.
Whew, what a rant! Feels good to get it off my chest, though.
All the best, Dave.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 08:13

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've had experiences with WW too. Yes I lost weight at (then) $13 per week. I went for 10 weeks and lost a whole 6 kilos, thats $21.66 per kilo. I didn't have the extra $30ish fee on top of that, joined on a coupon. Yes the weight went straight back on, with interest. Speaking of recorders, the one that worked at the meetings I went to, I spotted stuffing herself with chips and gravy the day after the meeting. She was sometimes used as the presenter, telling us how to eat "properly" and not cheat!
I discovered Low carbing last year, lost about 8 kilos, went off it for a few months, I only gained 2 kgs back in that time. It took me less time to regain the WW loss. I'm back on board now, started earlier in the week, have already lost those 2 kilos and the best thing is it hasn't cost me a cent.

Cheryl
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:30

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 236/202/150
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi everyone

To S.A.Kaye, in the Sunday Telegraph Body and Soul liftout yesterday, which covers health, exercise and nutrition. There is a double page feature on so-called healthy diet which is based on the food pyramid, with all of the regular and uninformed diatribe, then down the side of the page, there is a column with the heading "Fad Diets that take the cake". There are listed mostly Low Carb Diets by name and they are bagged so badly that the author, who seems to be just a journalist, hasn't done any research at all on any other types of eating plans. Here is the input on Dr. Atkins:

"The Hollywood set has taken this low-protein eating regime to heart. It'll be a sure-fire hit if your priority is to get a skeletal figure, miss out on B vitamins and risk ketosis (an unpleasant side effect of eating too much protein and not enough carbs, with ssymptoms that include constipation and bad breath). Atkins maintain that carbs are bad for you and you can eat only less than 20g per day, which is equivalent to a carton of flavoured yoghurt or one piece of bread. You can eat an unlimited amount of protein."

Can you believe this?? Where has she been for the last 20/30 years, sleeping with Rip Van Winkle?

I am going to write a letter to the paper about this type of reporting, although I know that it won't get me anywhere, but have to do it anyway. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Now that I've got that out of my system, hope you all have a great LC day.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 22:00

BF:

Hi Rainbow

I just read your post, and I can't believe it. I know I have read that same article !!!! Now I'm racking my brains to remember where it was, I know it was in the last couple of days.
I felt exactly the same as you do !!!!!!! Stupid illinformed reporter, like you say can't be bothered to do some PROPER research into these "lousy fad diets"
Hey, I'm with you about writing a letter, if I can find the darned thing I'm going to write one as well. I do think the message is slowly getting out about LC, but it's not happening fast enough. There are sooooooooo many people out there suffering neddlessly, I know I was one 3 months ago !!!!!
I just know that in 10 or 20 years time, there will only be one type of diet, and that will be LC, because it *(I^&*(^ works, unlike low cal low fat which DO NOT.

hehe it's good to have a small rant now and again isn't it.
Anyway how are going with your plan ???? I will try to pop into your journal and take a peek.
bye for now
Kaye
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:53

BF:

Thanks Kaye, just needed to get that off my chest. It was in the Sydney Sunday Telegraph. It seems that every time that I hear of a positive report, then along comes another illinformed reporter or journalist, and there we go again. I would just love to be able to let everyone know how much better I feel, and how much better all the blood tests are etc. since I have been LCing.

I guess if we don't complain, the newspapers think that everyone agrees with these articles.

I am only new to this site, so haven't started a journal yet, but I am on the fat fast as from today, as I have been stalled for about four weeks, so am giving this a go to see what happens.

Are you doing well, and how long have you been on this WOE?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 19:59

BF:

Sorry Dave,

I've jumped in here and changed the subject of this thread. Apologies.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 05:48

BF:

Hi Rainbow

Firstly, good luck with your fat fast !!!!! I'm not 100 percent sure of what that is, but guessing it's something to do about restricting fat huh ????

In answer to how I am doing, I am absolutely amazed at this WOE I just can't believe that I have finally found something that works for me !!!!!! I found out about LCing by accident on the internet, was looking for some answers related to some health problems I have and I saw the words "the only diet found to be of help is a low carb diet" anyway I did a bit of digging around and I saw this message (but worded differently) twice more on other site's and thought maybe somebody's trying to tell me something hehehe
I figured I would give it a try, not expecting anything mind, well I lost 4 kilos the first week, 3 kilos the 2nd week, and that was enough for me.
Overall I have lost 20 kilos in 13 weeks, my blood pressure when I started was 140/110 I had it checked yesterday and it's now PERFECT 120/80 , my cholesterol was 8.1 and now is 6.4, coming down really well. I'm just so thrilled, I can't put it into words......

I feel the same as you about these stupid articles, but hey what would happen to Jenny Craig, WW and all the other huge corporations making a fortune on people's misery ???? if the truth got out ???
I've decided to make it a personal mission of mine to get the message across to as many people as I can. I know how much overweight people are suffering from experience, sure you put on a happy face but underneath it's a whole different kettle of fish.

In the last couple of weeks I have had lots of people ask what I am doing, so I'm telling them !!!!!!!
Had one lady Monday night at WW (not the point counting WW) ask me because she heard me say to my sister that I'm only allowed 30 gm carb per day, when I told her about it the only thing she had to say was that Dr Atkins was draconian, I'm going to have to look this up in the dictionary, but I gather it's a derrogatory remark, I just gave her a huge smile and shrugged it off. Hey all you can do is tell them, what they do with the information is their choice right ??

Sorry to go on and on, how about dropping into my journal so we can chat some more, better yet PLEASE start one of your own, I promise to come visit OK

Bye for now
Kaye
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 19:47

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Ive joined up twice in the last 5 years and both times lost about a stone and then no more even though Id stick to those points and GO HUNGRY. In the end Id give up and put it back on and more . Its just too much trouble to commit to forever , who could be bothered. because everything is 'legal' its too tempting to use half your points up on some refined carb rubbish and then your left to literally dream about food in your sleep. WE were even incouraged to exercise so we could eat more of our favourite 'treats'.
I can see now its all silly silly thinking. It does seem to work for some people that dont get so hooked on carbs and can just comfortably cut back and voila but were all different and its not my answer. i could see that even those that it did work for still would save and look forward to there 'fix' of whatever and on this we dont have to hink like that anymore.
nah this is SO MUCH BETTER!!!
Fat onWW is counted really highly and carbs arent. This WOE feels like a real treat to me and Im losing weight and I feel sooo much better its amazing.
I wouldnt of believed it till I tried it .
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 08:51

BF:

Hi Bloom,

I have found that the more research you do into the Low Carb WOE, the more you realise that it is the only way to go, not only for weight loss, but also for your health's sake. So glad for you that you found out all the info in Dr. Atkins. It's when you start to feel better, and lose the carb cravings that you know you are on the right track.

Good Luck.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 08:59

BF:

Kaye,

The Fat Fast is in DANDR, and is for metabolically resistant people who are very slow to lose weight. I'm not sure if that is what I am, but have been stalled for about 4 weeks now, so decided to give it a go and see whether it moves things along. It consists of mainly very high fat content and theres a ratio between the fat and calories to maintain. But I am having lots of trouble eating all the high fat food with nothing else to balance it out. So might just go back on to induction and carry on from there. I have my own business, and am going to be very busy for the next couple of days, will probably be able to post, but will wait till next week to set up the journal and to come visit yours and chat.

Talk Soon

Need to get some zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/My Own
Stats: 97/83/68
BF:
Progress: 48%

Howdo all,

I haven't personally been a Weight Watchers member (or a Jenny Craig member, or Gloria Marshall or any of them), but I have been tempted in the past - enough to try out one meeting. The leader was overweight which I found a bit disarming - I expected a leader to be someone who had been a successful 'weight watcher' who had kept the weight off. I also found it a bit confronting to stand in a queue to be weighed in. I understand that the embarassment of putting on weight and having everyone know is what keeps many people on track - but I wonder for how long? I think we can only be bullied into something for so long before we snap and go "no more!".

What I have seen for years and years is people who try those programs, and shout their virtues from the rooftops - only to go quiet when they put all their hard-lost kgs back on again, much to their horror and despair. I think low-fat dieting has a lot to answer for. I am a terrible failure when it comes to low-fat diets. I thought for many years that this was a lack of willpower and that I was a weak person. Now that I've discovered low-carbing, I KNOW that I'm not weak and I don't have a problem with willpower. I was BIOLOGICALLY DRIVEN to crave carbohydrates because my blood sugar was so all over the place! I can happily say that after 7weeks and 7kg lost on Atkins (and my own variations of Atkins), I haven't touched bread or pasta or rice or cake and I haven't missed any of it! The one thing I will confess to missing is the sweet stuff - chocolate is something I love and I have 'fallen off the wagon' a couple of times and had some chocolate. Don't anybody hit me - but I can see that long-term I will be happy to leave the bread/pasta/rice/potatoes/starches alone 99% of the time, and leave the sugar alone about 95% of the time. I know that Atkins preaches 'no sugar ever again', but I think it's important to find a balance we can live with. I know that any more than a little bit of carb/sugar is too much for me but, all the same, I'm not prepared to go the rest of my life without having coffee and cheesecake with my friends once in a blue moon. I think the key is finding what works for you long-term, and if that includes a slice of cheesecake or a bar of chocolate once in a while, then that's OK. What I do know now is that if I 'fall off', I can reduce to induction levels for a week or so and that will redress any imbalance. When I started Atkins I was very gungho - still am really - and was prepared to forego sugar for the rest of my life. Now I'm prepared to forego sugar 'almost all of the time' Life is life, low-carb cakes are a pain to prepare and just don't taste the same!

(Waiting for lightning to strike me into the ground!)

Rebecca
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:19

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

Rebecca, what you are doing is very obviously working and suiting you, congratualtions of your success.

I felt driven to eat carbs to and cutting back only made it worse by far and I suffered terribly headaches. Cutting the carbs out like this has cured me of craving and I havnt had one headache . Ive just finshed my first 2 weeks today and lost 12 pound sand feel so energetic its like a miracle. It is like a big gloomy clould has lifted Im going to stay at this level another 2 weeks for now and see how I go.
Once I have lost most if not all of my weight I imagine I will do something like your doing , like once a week have a small something that would blow it for me now at the stage Im at.
I think once I get to maintance I would look at it slightly more as a balance over a week instead of rigid every day.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:03

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking Carbs

Becca,

I can relate to the cab addiction.
I have found it pretty difficult to start on Atkins, and have fallen off the horse a few times.

I hate the judgements of people when they find out - like tsk tsk, what are you doing? type of remarks.

Everyone has a different biology, and everyone will deal with it better.

I do know that the key is perseverance. If you get back on the wagon after falling off, every day you are getting stronger and more able to control yourself.

You might suprise yourself that in the future - you can live without cake or sugar.

we'll see

Good Luck

LC_Dave