Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Thanks everyone. You don't have to reply to stroke me here.

I really don't want to keep this going, b/c I don't like divisiveness and I don't want to be divisive. The person who said it was expressing their own opinion of my advice, which they are entitled to on this board. If I hadn't popped into the journal, I would have never have known about it.

I don't want to start so & so VS so & so camps. That's not what this is about. I don't particularly appreciate my advice being called hypocritical, but no one else needs to get too involved here on the forum. The journals are there to speak directly to each other, too.

I just felt the need to try to clear it up here, b/c I wanted to make sure that it was clear that I didn't mean to appear to say "do as I say and not as I do" in case anyone else felt that way, too, and were silent about it.

Last edited by ElleH : Sat, Mar-10-07 at 08:30.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Mar-10-07, 13:46

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

elle, keep in mind too there is a difference between hypocrasy and the voice of experience. i used to do "off" days too. i learned the hard way that they are NOT worth it because for me they did more harm than good. and considering how far you've come and how much lowcarbing has helped your previous attitudes and practices toward food, the fact that you've had a cheat binge here and there doesn't mean you're hypocritical for warning others off them.

one of the things i'm learning, thanks to everyone here, is that the difference between a diet and a lifestyle is how deeply your food habits permeate into the rest of your life. goals aren't just numerical for the scale or the tag on our clothes, they're mental and emotional too. so while i'm sitting here frustrated that i'm not even halfway to goal, stuck in a stall, i remember that every day i continue to meet my other goals... staying on-plan, quieting the guilt and making my demons work for me, not against me.

and as far as i'm concerned, i'd rather listen to the advice of someone who HAS cheated and knows the consequences than someone who's never done it and doesn't see the harm it can do.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 20:00
Registered Member

Plan: south beach/atkins
Stats: 146/130/125 Female 65.5 inches
BF:23%/15%/goal 13 %
Progress: 76%

Can someone tell me about the reversal diet? Thanks in advance
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 20:54

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

if i remember right, the reversal diet means going from a low-carb, high-fat diet to a low-fat, high-carb one for a few days in order to shake things up a bit. the human body can get used to anything, so SOMETIMES it can help to kickstart weight loss.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Mar-11-07, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/192/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

"After many months on a diet which works by virtue of forcing the body to take inefficient metabolic pathways...the body may begin to adapt by becoming more efficient, thereby slowing the rate of weight loss. Don't panic as you read this-this adaptation to the lipolytic pathway has never been scientifically demonstrated. Most of you will be able to reach your goal weight and stay there without ever noticing the adaptation phenomenon. But some of you will get the sense that the rate of weight loss has slowed inordinately. You should consider a period of time on a reversal diet."
"I think all of you should know the principle of a reversal diet and many of you should try it somewhere along the line. In reversal dieting, you should go on a regimen very low in fat and protein and high in complex carbohydrates. "
"The main purpose of reversal dieting is to reestablish the dramatic effect that you must have noticed when you first went on the Induction diet, namely, rapid sustained weight loss. You do it to break up a logjam. "
This diet is recommended for 3 days and you must stay in control. After the 3rd day go back to strict induction.
Good luck! FYI, I just restarted induction a few days ago and am already registering dark purplish red on my sticks. Yah! I started the LC atkins diet a month and half ago and realized I wasn't doing it right, so I decided to start over! I'm excited about this rapid weight loss! Although you do gain a bit during your heavy carb intake. I'm pretty sure it's all water weight because I have been going pee like a race horse these last few days!

Last edited by megimme : Sun, Mar-11-07 at 22:11.