Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-03, 06:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%
Thumbs up

Hi Kathy
You are doing great, remember you are building muscle and that weighs more than fat. Have you lost body fat?
You are losing at a good rate and it's the inches that count. You are probably looking really good.

You have averaged over 3 lbs a week and that is excellant. You don't want to lose to fast or it will be easy to gain it back. Remember this is a WOL.

Just keep up what you are doing. I have been in a stall for over three months as far as weight loss goes, but my body fat has dropped and also inches. I was really out of shape and now I feel much stronger. I know the weight will start dropping again soon.

Bevb
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 03:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hi Bevb,

I have dropped Body fat by a couple of points each month. I keep telling myself that I am gaining muscle and it weighs more, and that is keeping me sane.

The inches lost are good, i tried on a skirt I bought last year that never fit and I could zip it up (not comfortably) so maybe a few more inches and I will have a new skirt to wear. I had been trying it on periodically since beginning the diet and at the beginning I couldn't get it over my hips - so huge progress.

thanks again for all your kind responses.

Kathy
  #93   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 13:05

Plan: Lean For Life
Stats: 175/175/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Good to see

I recently joined a similar place here in Southern Ontario called "Expressfit for Women". It is essentially the same thing, just Canadian owned.

I was skeptical because they couldn't really provide me with any kind of actual results from others and I was worried that I wouldn't lose inches. I just started low-carbing again on Monday and went to work out today. I go on my lunch hour and it gives me plenty of time to wash up and eat afterwards.

When I signed up they were waiving the enrollment fee and I pay $40.00/month CDN. It also gives me access to the other locations in the area.
  #94   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:52

Stats: 190/182.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

I joined a club called "Ladies Workout Express" which is similar to Curves and the others mentioned here. However, there is one difference - the resistance on the machines can be adjusted. The owner of the club changes the resistance on different machines weekly so that the workout is never the same. She said if one does the exact same machines at the same intensity or resistance all of the time, the body will plateau. She also changes the time and moves the machines around so they are not always done in the same order.

Just something to consider for those of you who may be thinking about joining this type of club.

Diana
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 17:36

Plan: sugar busters
Stats: 325/325/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Famine Metabolism

Hi all. Been reading the Curves thread, and I will stop in and visit my local Curves this week. I've been working out with a personal trainer -- very expensive -- and I'd like to earn $1.00 per minute to watch me ride a bike and hold the middle of a tension strap!!

It is interesting to learn that so many women are having difficulty dropping actual pounds although they are working out and dieting. I come from a history of obesity in my family, on both mother's and father's sides, and had an uncle that weiged in at 625 pounds at 6'5" tall. He died of a heart attack at age 64, but was relatively active considering his weight. Although he couldn't put on his own socks.

I weight around 325, 5'5" tall, and rather well proportioned. Up until age 47 or so, I was very active, but have slowed down the last couple of years and can't move as easily--so I've decided to take positive steps and address my health issues and get some weight off. I'd be happy at 200 pounds, since I know being thin is not part of my genetic makeup. I eat like most normal people, actually less according to my friends, and when I discuss it with my doctor he tells me that I have a "famine metabolism" and would have survived the concentration camps without a problem! Isn't that wonderful to know -- but he's right.

So, I will continue to plug away, keep working at it. I must admit that I HATE exercising, I HATE walking, and I'd like to be Cleopatra on a chaise lounge, carried by 20 guys with a couple of more guys just fanning me. What a fantasy! A hedonist at heart. So at the age of 52 I must stop being lazy and put motion into my life.

Good luck to everyone out there trying to beat this hardship in our lives -- I despise anyone who can just eat as much as they want and never gain any weight -- and most of my friends are thin. Oh well. Have a successful time working out and losing weight -- and getting and staying healthy.

IsadoraB2
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 17:38

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Angry Curves in Canada

Wow, it's sure a lot more money here, to join Curves ! Anywhere from 100.00 to 165.00 plus the monthly fee of about 30.00, I checked into it as one is right above my work place, for me it was'nt challenging enough, my employment is very physical so I'm very srtong, so it was'nt worth the money to do the lower body justice.
Cheers Kathy
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 18:27

Smile

Hi Kathy,
Did you ask if they had any specials going? Right now the one I go to is running a 60% off and if you bring a friend and you both join it's much cheaper too. It cost me 39.00 to join as they let me sign up with another new person and if I have it withdrawn from my checking account, it is $29.00 a month. I did sign a one year contract which brought the price down too.

I feel it is worth every penny. It's fast, fun and a great workout for this 64 yr old. I'm in my 4th month and I can do better than some of the younger women that are joining right now.

I love it.
BevB
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:28

Stats: 190/182.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

Kathy -

Wow that is expensive. That's why I joined Ladies Workout Express - they have basically the same machines but the resistance can be adjusted for a more challenging workout. In fact the owner of the club I belong to said at the recent Ladies Expo in Minneapolis, a Curves manager tried one of the Ladies Workout Express machines and could hardly do it. Also, there is no registration fee - just the $29.99 per month for a year. She also lets people try it for a month for free before they join.

Diana
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 19:43
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Question Website??

Is their a website for curves...would love to find a center for women only near me....of course I live in the "sticks" but could drive some distance......would appreciate a web address....

Micsing
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:00

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

guess I had better put my 2 cents in as well. I joined Curves last week. Mine also had lousy hours, which I noticed but chose to sign up anyway. I have been there three times so fat. I like it ok, hope I grow to love it. Seems like a great idea, for all the reasons mentioned previously. My sister in law has lost 100 pounds this past year doing this and cutting back on eating (she is not LC), so I guess she inspired me Let's see how I feel in a month......
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 20:23

Smile

micsing
Here is the Web site for Curves:

http://www.curvesinternational.com/

When you join, you can use any of them anywhere.
Bevb
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 13:59
Registered Member

Stats: 138/122/115
BF:25%
Progress: 70%
Default mother and daughter signup

Hello,
My daughter and I have been going to Curves for women since
August of 2002 and we love it. They had a mother and daughter sign up special so we only pay $39.00 a month for both of us.
I had been tring to get Chelsee (my daughter) to exercise at home on the treadmill and with weights but she wasn't interested or got board really fast. This way we can get up in morning, go to curves(work out is about 45 min for three times around the machines) and we can shower there for work and school. Like I said "we love it". Chelsee lost 10 lbs and 8.5 inches in the first month. We haven't measured again up I know she is going to be pleasantly surprised. It has been a God sent! Her confidence has improve three fold. We did have a sign up fee that was 1/2 off and we paid $74.00 but that was a one time fee not yearly. The women there are very supportive also.
Can't say enough about how great it is,
Zima
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 01:01

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Unhappy cost of curves

Well I know when I was thinking of joining, the special was, 95.00 a year ago they had a 2 for one deal, think it was still in the 75.00 range, the fee seems to change all the time, everyone I speak to that joined, paid a different price, not right , I don't think. But most are happy, but one put on weight, even after 3 months nothing less on the scales. Not to sure what her at home life style is?

Glad it's working well for you all.

Cheers Kathy
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:56

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile

I joined Curves in April '02 but did not start LCing until Sept. '02. I gained weight at first, although my BF% went down a little. I didn't start seeing greater results until after I began LCing. My best-friend also goes to Curves, but she continues to eat all kinds of carbs, etc. She's gained some muscle and built up her endurance, but she yo-yo's losing the same 10-15 lbs. I honestly believe that it takes a total lifestyle change to get the best results possible. Heck, I didn't think I lost that much during Dec. with the holidays and all, but I ended up dropping 5.75" and 9.5 lbs. Go figure!

When I signed up, my Curves had some special going for the joiners fee and it was really low- I think my first month combined w/the fee was like $75. Their monthly dues and joiners fee are not much at all when compared to my local YMCA and other local health/fitness centers. Plus, they are very helpful and there's always room. I toured the other gyms and they were always swamped and crowded. I think the most important thing to think about when selecting a workout franchise or routine is to find what makes YOU happy. After all, you'll be doing this for a long time (if not the rest of your life), so you should enjoy it. In fact, wo other friends of mine are leaving Curves when their contracts expire-- it's just not for them. I'm sad, but I wish them luck in whatever they decide.

Best of luck to all in reaching your goals!
Nikki
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Jan-18-03, 00:07

Plan: none
Stats: 251/255/185 Female 67 inches
BF:46.5%/46.3%/20%
Progress: -6%
Thumbs up It's a start.

I've been with curves since November. It's a good start for me. A year ago, I could barely stand to walk. My feet hurt all the time. I'm not sure why, but I had a very stressful relationship and was way over my weight of a couple years earlier. I'm feeling much better, my feet don't hurt anymore. I thank god every time I walk anywhere. Curves is relatively easy exercise for just about anybody, but every month I still progress. I've somehow been able to not gain any weight when the monthly weigh-in occurs, although I have over eaten dramatically. This month I lost 1&1/2 inches in my waist ( I was doing a lot of twister exercises instead of joging in place on the boards ). I gained some inches elsewhere. I feel it's pretty good since I missed about two weeks or more of exercising this last month, due to transportation problems. I hope to be able to go on to bigger and better things, such as KARATE again and SKIING, and maybe even some HIKING, if the right man enters my life. Curves is worth it to me. Vicki